PDA

View Full Version : 3 1/2 to 4" trees

turfman59
03-06-2003, 05:58 PM
I am bidding on a large job that involves 3.5" to 4" trees.
ginko bilboa sentry
armstrong acer rubrum
aristocrat pears
and am having a huge problem with the scope of the size of the root ball and finding the material... NO One has these around this size. Does anyone know where to source this material for #4 zone climate.
Also the tree is going to weight in the neihborhood of 2000 lbs what size tractor would be appropriate? We have a Michigan Loader and was considering using it, but the space is very cramped and between the highway and sidewalk ( not alot of room to manuever.

Anyone had any expirence with this size tree installation....

ParkerLawn
03-06-2003, 08:23 PM
I have planted trees this size and have always used a bobcat. They are easy to manuever in tight places and have no problem moving a tree this size. You must first get a heavy duty harness to wrap around the ball and then hook it on the end of the bobcat bucket teeth. Make sure you use a bucket with teeth. Once hooked on you can go where you need to go and it is very simple. I just put in 4 very large River Birch trees that were around 2000-2500lbs and had all four planted in 1 hour. Yes the holes I already had dug but this time is for unloading them and getting them set in their place and then covering them. As far as where to find trees this size, I don't know anyhting about your region but I am lucky enough to have a local wholesale supplier I work with. Hope this helps.:D

paul
03-06-2003, 10:08 PM
A set of forks on a skid loader do this very fast with out any chains or straps. We do wrap the guard on the forks with burlap so not to damage the tree.

The best I could do was a listiung of nurseries in your state http://www.findnurseries.com/US/MI/nurseries/index.shtml