PDA

View Full Version : just starting out

cturner
03-06-2003, 10:28 PM
i am just starting out and i will be cutting lawns and doing some smaller landscaping and i would like to trim and cut down trees what types of licenses and insurence do i need to do this:confused:

thank u guys for any help u can give me;)

Heller Landscaping
03-06-2003, 10:39 PM
You will need to register your business with the State and start collecting sales tax. Your Local IRS office will give you all the details. You need General Liability Insurance with a min of $300,000.00 and if you want, insurance for your equipment. This is just the beginning but a major part of starting up. What kind of equipment do you have or are planning to get?

cturner
03-06-2003, 10:53 PM
as far as equip. for the lawn cutting i was looking at getting a6 x 12 trailer 48" w/b a commercial blower,trimmer and edger any suggestions and as far as the equip. for trees and landscaping depending on the jobs and what i need i'll pick it up

Heller Landscaping
03-06-2003, 11:15 PM
Your headed in the right direction. Btw do not ask what is the best mower:D PLEASE:D j\k Getting all the legal stuff out of the way. It is your hardest part; after that its getting the customers and payup .:) Check out and demo all mowers before you decide.

cturner
03-06-2003, 11:18 PM
ok thank u much:D

BRL
03-07-2003, 05:57 PM
Doing tree work will increase your insurance premiums greatly, as they consider it a high liability. To really do tree work, you need to make some major purchases for equipment. To get into lawn work you can get away with spending less money on equipment to get started. As far as equipment purchases, like Heller said, try to demo anything you are considering purchasing to see if you like it. Buy the best that you can afford, and buy commercial grade.

MN Wildwood
03-07-2003, 06:25 PM
As stated above, buy quality equipment, (commercial) and if possible buy it locally from a dealer that has a large inventory of parts on hand, in the event something breaks, down time will most often be much less than if they need to send out. Everyone is going to say that such and such equipment is better, buy this or use that, I would recommend demoing some different equipment out and find what feels best to you.