PDA

View Full Version : anybody use a backhoe attachment on their skidsteer

Qualey
03-07-2003, 01:14 PM
We are looking at purchasing one of these and wanted to hear any pros and cons before doing so. I don't need great digging depth, as it will be used for monument bases and driveways/patios only. Also, I want to sit outside the cab when using. what do you think?

Matt

paul
03-07-2003, 03:16 PM
I find them long hard to handle and a pain to attach, if your a small company then it's allright but for larger companies the look to a mini excavator.

terraverde
03-07-2003, 03:25 PM
Great for small jobs. Not so great for digging stumps out over 6"dia. I'm thinking of getting a ASV RC-30. A polaris dealer, who is selling the the same machine w/ there name on it, said the backhoe att. was like 5k.? I guess I'll have keep renting. Some machines are hard to get rid of enough pressure in the lines, making it easy to connect quik connects. But I have not used one on a machine with only hand controls. How do you like the asv?

Qualey
03-07-2003, 04:36 PM
The units definately aren't cheap! I am looking at a CAT 9 foot digger for $8700 (sale, demo model). John Deere wanted over $12,000 for the same size!!

Tim...the ASV is perfect for our usage. The cab leaks, they're too expensive, and I have zero local dealer support, but that all becomes a moot point when you're getting the job done with it. I think they're a little higher maintenance than some machines, but again, that gets repaid tenfold in its versatility. Contact me for more info if you'd like.

Matt

Mountain Gardener
03-08-2003, 12:36 AM
Qualey,

We have a New Holland skid steer with a Bradco backhoe attachment in 1998. Purchased new. First one ever in this area and sure got a lot of looks. There are 3-4 around now that are used commercially.

Our first job with this unit was an irrigation system install that required opening over 1 mile of ditch in some of the hardest, rockiest soil you can imagine. (12" bucket.) This same project required that we install approximately 2500 feet of 6" downspout drain. Some of the ditches were 6' deep. (18" bucket.) We were VERY PLEASED with the power and performance of this unit. We dug these ditches - we didn't scratch them out. Largest stump I can remember was 44". Dug out and hauled away in a little over 2 hours.

These units have incredible power for their size and weight and our unit has been almost trouble free. After a few hookups and unhooks it's no problem to change attachments. We have a number of other attachments.

Mountain Gardener

lx665
03-08-2003, 09:37 AM
Mountain Gardner, What model Bradco Unit do you have?

thanks, John

PRapoza451
03-09-2003, 10:45 AM
We have a Bradco backhoe too. We use it with our 246 CAT skid steer. Not sure of the model # but it's the biggest one they make. They are powerful enough. Max depth is around 11'. It is a pain getting in and out of the cab to move around. If you have enough work a mini excavator is the way to go. Our dealer let us use one while they were setting up our bradco and it was great having two machines. The big advantage of the mini ex is the 360 degree turning capability as well as being able to move while digging. The Bradco takes about 3-5 minutes to attach.
http://www.bradco.com/

zedosix
03-10-2003, 07:52 AM
I had a 9md2 bradco backhoe attachment for my thomas skidsteer. What I can tell you is the bradco are built like no other. Make sure you have a good size skidsteer or you will be dragging yourself everytime you try to dig with one. The one I had was very difficult to attach, unless lined up perfectly. Personally I would not buy another, I would go to a mini-excavator.

Qualey
03-13-2003, 06:20 PM
Thanks everybody

I am looking at a Bradco 511 that the local CAT dealer has. Anybody know much about it (suggested retail, digging depth, breakout force, weight, etc). They are supposed to fax the info tomorrow. They say it retails for ~$10,000 and can sell it for 8800. I am looking for something to dig graves, monument bases, and bases for paver driveways and walls. I know a mini-X is a better machine, but I just invested quite heavily in real estate and bought out another company (plus the ASV isn't cheap) and don't want the cost. I can rent the minis for around $150 a day.

I am trying to convince the dealer to even swap my Loegering 85" snowblower for the backhoe. We'll see how it goes tomorrow, but any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks again, and hope you warm weather guys are having a good spring!

Matt

ksss
03-14-2003, 01:06 AM
I had a backhoe attachment for several years when I first started. They have several advantages one being that you can put the skid steer and the back hoe on a trailer and have both capabilities handy. The other advantage is that if you shop for one you can have backhoe capability for a relatively small amount of money. These were the only advantages I experienced. Like others have said if your going to do any excavating at all I would get a used miniex. I would not take another backhoe attachment if I were given one. I bought a minex and the excavation side of my business exploded. The only down side to this set up is if you have to move material and excavate you have to bring both machines. So with the minex I also had to buy a 31', 24K fifth wheel trailer. If you do buy an attachment Bradco is probably the best. They build for several manufactors including Bobcat. I sat in the Cat backhoe attachment at CONEXPO and being able to sit in the skid steer is nice, but being able to see what your doing is nicer and with the CAT you don't get both. I can't believe they want 10K for one of them. You would be lucky to get half that on trade or auction.