PDA

View Full Version : How has the recession effected your business?

ConPro
03-07-2003, 03:13 PM
I try not to think about it, to many other things to worry about. But how has it effected you and/or your company?

BRL
03-07-2003, 05:42 PM
What recession? ... So far...

J&R
03-07-2003, 06:19 PM
Not here in my area went out gave 9 bids today got 6.

Bob Minney
03-07-2003, 07:08 PM
No recession but a prolonged drought-
It brings out the marketing geniuses
I'm thinking they saw the little yellow rollback guy on walmart commercials- BTW- these aren't newbies, always been low but:dizzy:

SWR11
03-08-2003, 10:38 AM
That's crazy
Better to be an idol fool than a busy one
:sleeping:

Mykster
03-09-2003, 01:45 AM
I've lost 4 acct's so far. Either they lost their job or took a demotion to avoid layoffs. I think it's going to be a tuff season.

mdvaden
03-09-2003, 02:52 AM
The fall / winter after Sept. 11, 2001, was our busiest ever for that time of year.

We had a 25% increase in business revenue last year in 2002, putting most of the increase into tools and advertising.

We are busy right now. Or, hoppin'

:blob3:

mdb landscaping
03-09-2003, 09:15 AM
i heard an interesting talk about the recession at UConn the other day. the head of the connecticut grounds keepers came in to talk to my turf topics class, and he said usually recessions dont hurt LCO's as much. His theory, (at least in this market), is that normally you are servicing accounts of people higher up in the chain of command at businesses, who usually dont get laid off. Even if they do get laid off, they dont have time to be cutting their grass. he said you have to cater to peoples demands during recession, and that means create new services if needed to offer them. he also said, there is no reason you should ever lose a sale. you dont lowball anybody, but just make your services clear, and go a step above the rest to please the customer. he was a very good speaker, and ran a landscape business for a few decades. just thought id pass along some of the info he lectured us on. it was a good speech

johnhenry
03-09-2003, 09:58 AM
Recession has really effected me yet. Alot of factories here have closed up in the last 6 months so I expect there will be a bigger than normal group of players this spring. I feel sorry for guys with a severe drought. I know that hurts.Some of you guys will really be hit by high gas prices this summer.

mdb landscaping- very nice.Something we can learn from from and practice on

philk17088
03-09-2003, 10:33 AM
I re-signed 98% of my customers for this year. I lost a couple due to their financials, they were kind of shakey anyway. I have a high percentag of senior citizens and they don't seem to be that concerned, they have to have stuff done anyway. I'm getting calls for maintenance but very few calls about new installations or renovations. It seems to me that people are in a holding pattern.

mdvaden
03-09-2003, 11:29 AM
It may also depend on where you work.

Its not lawns, but a designer lost a lot of work, because a large percentage of her work was the Intel type people - and a lot of them were stock holders.

That was Hillsboro.

Other designers in West Linn, Oregon may not see duplicate results.

Different parts of the city have different folks.

MD Land Management
03-10-2003, 11:18 PM
From what i understand and have heard through the papers, and news, People are scared to fly or travel anymore so they are spending more money at their house, then on vacation. This seems to be the case wit our company too i resigned 98% of my customers this year and the ones i didn't were by my choice. People in my area are generally spending more money on more expensive items too, including, EP hnery patios, and Pools. This is helping our business incredibly. Good Luck to everyone this year for a great season.

Mark
MD Landscape Management
Cherry Hill, NJ

TaussigLawnCare
03-11-2003, 02:17 AM
well the grass keeps on growing here no matter what but a few people have stopped watering I know and I lost a few but not to bad.

IBGreen
03-11-2003, 10:01 AM
How can they do any lawn, no matter how small for $16.00?:dizzy:

65hoss
03-11-2003, 11:45 PM
Recession?? I haven't noticed. Phone has been ringing steadily since December just to schedule for spring.