PDA

View Full Version : Fixed Deck vs. Floating Deck.....Opinions?

Firebrand
08-29-2000, 07:50 PM
I currently have a 36" fixed deck WB. I wanted to know if the floating decks are a whole lot better. I know that I can't do areas that aren't pretty much flat, or else I scalp. I am willing to trade up to the floating deck if it will allow me to mow on uneven terrain. Also I think that the deck height might be easier on the floating deck. What are some of the advantages and disadvantages to the floating deck. Thanks in advance.

Firebrand

Getmow
08-29-2000, 08:33 PM
Advantages of the floating deck are 1) little or no scalping, 2) easy to adjust the height of cut (most models)...see you answered your own question.
BTW your in good company here, there are quite a few fire fighters posting.

Kent Lawns
08-29-2000, 09:48 PM
A floater will make NO difference in scalping on a 36".

It WILL make changing the HOC easier, though.

I've owned both in the 36" size and wouldn't spend a lot more to get a floater.

(Unless you're in an area where a 36" is the primary mower)

SMB
08-29-2000, 10:41 PM
A floating deck should made a difference about scalping on a 36. They also cut more even on the side of a hill. Also if you go up a steep hill it will not leave as much of a uncut place at the bottom in the "gulley". Remember, I'm talking about my experience, I'm not sure about different brands, etc.. This is just my opinion.

accuratelawn
08-29-2000, 11:51 PM
Floating deck on a 36 is a waste of money!
I have a 36 and 48 fixed deck. I don't have a scalping problem. I cut at 3 1/2+
A hydro on a 36 is also a waste.

Getmow
08-30-2000, 10:17 PM
Kent Lawns, I stand corrected. Side to side scalping is not a problem when the deck is in between the wheels.