PDA

View Full Version : YP.com

cdqat1432
12-03-2013, 06:47 PM
Does anyone use yellowpages.com? This is in addition to the print ad in the actual phonebook. I have to either cancel or renew my contract and am not real sure which way to go. Some say Google trumps yp.com but my salesman says that my status on Google is because of yp.com (shocker). I know it is a lot of money. The part that bothers me is that when I search my company on yp.com (where I am a paying customer), it gives my info and all of the competition's info as well, serving up a buffet of options. I know that a lot of people say they heard about us from seeing our trucks. Maybe I should just wash my trucks more often. :)

alldayrj
12-03-2013, 10:44 PM
Runnnnnnnnnnnn

tonygreek
12-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Does anyone use yellowpages.com? This is in addition to the print ad in the actual phonebook. I have to either cancel or renew my contract and am not real sure which way to go. Some say Google trumps yp.com but my salesman says that my status on Google is because of yp.com (shocker). I know it is a lot of money. The part that bothers me is that when I search my company on yp.com (where I am a paying customer), it gives my info and all of the competition's info as well, serving up a buffet of options. I know that a lot of people say they heard about us from seeing our trucks. Maybe I should just wash my trucks more often. :)
In my experience (across many companies), YP.com consistently proves itself out to be one of the worst returns on advertising dollar there is. As for the sales guy, I think it's safe to believe very little that comes out of their mouth, but the real question to ask yourself is "How much revenue did the YP.com listing generate?". That should be the answer that guides you.

A. W. Landscapers, Inc.
12-04-2013, 01:52 AM
What's a "phonebook"?

YP.com is a phonebook that is desperately trying to stay relevant…pretty sure most people would Google YP.com to find out what YP.com is…just saying.

List your business on Google and advertise using Google AdWords.

PaperCutter
12-04-2013, 09:38 AM
When I met with a YP guy I got the sense their approach to SEO, etc was the magic basket approach. "You give us your money, we put it in this magic basket, the elves do all kinds of secret hidden stuff, and maybe more or less money comes out the other side." Nope. Not interested.

tonygreek
12-04-2013, 10:05 AM
When I met with a YP guy I got the sense their approach to SEO, etc was the magic basket approach. "You give us your money, we put it in this magic basket, the elves do all kinds of secret hidden stuff, and maybe more or less money comes out the other side." Nope. Not interested.
I'm pretty sure that's the sales process pinned up on their cubicle walls.

When I talk to people about their marketing budgets, one of the first questions I ask is "Do you have any Yellow Pages online ads?". If they say yes, I ask what leads and revenue has it brought in. If they can't answer, which is 9 out of 10, I tell them to dump it asap. The sad thing is how many are "afraid to" because of what YP sales weasels tell them. I've burned way too many calories, and hours, trying to deprogram people from the garbage they spew. The majority of lawnsite members work in markets where they could rather easily replace that YP.com result with their own or, as A.W. pointed out, do something as simple as create a good Google/Bing/Yahoo Local listing.

A. W. Landscapers, Inc.
12-04-2013, 10:16 AM
When you create your Google Local listing and are entering your service area don't just pick a mile radius take the extra time to actually type in every individual zip code for all the areas you want to service.

cdqat1432
12-04-2013, 12:52 PM
Thank you for your responses. I am just going to cut them loose. I figured out that it costs me about 18/day or 126/week (sundays included) 12 months per year. Like I said, the trucks are a better way to advertise. Door decals cost about 250 and they last at least 5 years. For 126.00 I could pay a guy overtime every week to wash trucks, get more calls because nice trucks get nice customers and I would have cleaner trucks. Now I feel better. :clapping:

whiffyspark
12-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Thank you for your responses. I am just going to cut them loose. I figured out that it costs me about 18/day or 126/week (sundays included) 12 months per year. Like I said, the trucks are a better way to advertise. Door decals cost about 250 and they last at least 5 years. For 126.00 I could pay a guy overtime every week to wash trucks, get more calls because nice trucks get nice customers and I would have cleaner trucks. Now I feel better. :clapping:

They want 6 grand a year for adveritisng now? That's hilarious
Posted via Mobile Device

A. W. Landscapers, Inc.
12-04-2013, 01:52 PM

Repurpose some of that advertising money to Google AdWords.

dealclipper
12-16-2013, 12:47 AM
You're right. YP does cram all competitors together. Unless someone is specifically looking for your business, yp just generalizes all the same types of businesses. Google ad words is good but a little pricey. Are you looking into doing all types of advertising?

cdqat1432
12-16-2013, 01:56 AM
Yes. We will do one or two home shows in the spring, some print in the phone book, website, facebook, etc. We have decals on the truck doors and trailers. I have tried advertising in small, free local newspapers, billboards and direct mail with very limited success. I might do a referral rewards program between customers. I can't think of anything else. I just don't want to spend it all with the phone book, and of course the salesman is mad at me.

dealclipper
12-16-2013, 02:05 AM
Yes. We will do one or two home shows in the spring, some print in the phone book, website, facebook, etc. We have decals on the truck doors and trailers. I have tried advertising in small, free local newspapers, billboards and direct mail with very limited success. I might do a referral rewards program between customers. I can't think of anything else. I just don't want to spend it all with the phone book, and of course the salesman is mad at me.
How long ago did you mail? Also how many did you mail?

cdqat1432
12-16-2013, 02:16 AM
Last spring we tried something like direct mail. I think the circulation was several thousand locally.

dealclipper
12-16-2013, 09:18 AM
Several thousand in your area? Did the campaign work out for you?

FishandSon
12-16-2013, 09:39 AM
I pay $60 a month for a full listing in 2 counties with 5 catagories on yp.com. I'm happy with it. The local newspaper around here wants $30/week for a 3 line ad. I seem to get my best leads from their website vs. other advertising.

tonygreek
12-16-2013, 11:01 AM
Google ad words is good but a little pricey.
I get that you're in the direct mail business, but would you mind explaining the above?