PDA

View Full Version : Hey..how many of you do snow removel too?

eggy
08-29-2000, 11:58 PM
I have been looking at the snow plow forum some and wanted your opinion on snow removel we have almost 4 months down time here and need some revune during that time snow doesnt happen often here but some...do you guys do snow also?

diggerman
08-30-2000, 12:11 AM
Go take a gander at the snow section

Eager Beaver
08-30-2000, 06:10 AM
Stared snow plowing last year commercially by doing sub contracting for a landscape company and did some private residentials afterwards. Previously snow plowed years ago while in college as part of a job. Last year the snow amounts were not sufficient enough to make a lot of income but realized that salting would take up the slack if there was not a large accumulation of snow. If you are thinking about getting into this make sure you have good liability coverage. You can be held liable if someone slips and falls at a location that you are plowing or salting. This has not happened to me however I have heard some horror storys. You want to keep good records on when and what time you salted or plowed to protect yourself.

Eric ELM
08-30-2000, 07:19 AM
http://elms.bizland.com/trucknight.jpg

OBRYANMAINT
08-30-2000, 08:50 AM
my snowplow experience is what actually led me to grounds maintenance.been plowing for 10 years
you already have the customers you just need to sell them the service

BRL
08-30-2000, 05:05 PM
Obryan,
I'm with you. I started plowing commercially 6 years ago. Decided 4 years ago "Why not get some money out of these people during the summer too?"

John DiMartino
08-30-2000, 08:35 PM
I primarily do snow removal,i took on the lawn of a big account so as not to risk anyone else's foot getting in the door-so to speak.I think lawn maintance in general isnt as profitable but a lot more predictable.

cutntrim
08-30-2000, 09:17 PM
You'll find there are a lot of Northern lawn service guys that plow in the winter - us included. We look forward to each winter, we're busy lining up customers right now.

thelawnguy
08-30-2000, 09:42 PM
As someone else pointed out, by doing snow you keep someone else's hands off your customers.

yardsmith
08-30-2000, 10:39 PM
for some odd reason, I seem to have only a handful of lawn customers that also get plowed. It's like I have 2 sets of clientele; most of them mow their own lawn, but I'm always working on that; more of the upper cl*** types all have SUV's which hamper it a bit for the 1-2" snowfalls, I try & get everyone at 2" at least, because we get alot of "teases" here in Ohio. It'll cover the ground, but stop at 1".
Been plowing since 96, when I got my 1st & current 4x4, an 87 Silverado, which is also on chucks equip. pics pages.

IRISH
08-30-2000, 10:44 PM
Oh yea we plow snow here in west michigan.Have for sometime now been doin it since i was 15 took over the business from my dad 5 yrs. ago.He has been plowin for 30 yrs.nothing but mopars here. Get a ramcharger with front and rear blades and get as many 15 to 20 dollar drives you can and your in it

tslawn
08-30-2000, 10:45 PM
SNOW!!! is fantastic money. I love and look forward to heavy snow falls around here (Maryland). We've been plowing since '97, until last year when my snow plow truck's engine blew up. Just bought a new engine and hope to be up and running this winter. Had a blizzard winter of '99-'2000 and lost significant money because my truck was down. We still went out and used the snow blower and shoveled, but...the money I could've made was endless. I have some other friends in the business (they are a bigger company than me), but they made $50,000 in roughly 2 weeks. It made me absolutely sick. I will add, however, that a lot of that money was made with their bobcat on commercial properties that needed huge snow mounds removed and dumped elsewhere so parking was feasible. But, to think of the possibilities I could've had if only my truck hadn't blown up on me!

Turf Cutters
08-31-2000, 07:36 PM
I do just driveways and walks with a snow blower. I make good money for only a couple hours a day. Most our my lawn customers. There are too many people with plows on their trucks that don't know how to use them around here. Also haven't seen much snow in Eastern Kansas in a few years.

sunrise
08-31-2000, 09:22 PM
we sub out to Tru-Green Lawncare and keep one truck for are customers. pays when I sleep on there job