PDA

View Full Version : Hat

bondlawn
08-30-2000, 07:55 AM
I wear ear muffs when working (with built in radio). I'm looking for a large hat (western style or panama style or maybe jungle pith style)to protect my neck from the sun. Has anyone seen something that can be worn over the ear muffs?

Eric ELM
08-30-2000, 08:12 AM
I wear my FM hearing protectors over a Dixie Chopper cap. :D You could always wear a bandana around your neck. Does anyone know if a company makes hearing protectors with digital tuning? When I go under trees, the knob moves and changes my station. I have a Peltor now, which is great except for the station changing. I've had them for 4 seasons, so they have been good ones. :)

lawrence stone
08-30-2000, 08:30 AM
I am waiting for the "right" portable mp3 player with a am/fm radio.

And use in conjunction with a set of yard phones (see northern tool catalog).

There are many audio books posted to usenet on a daily basis and my mp3 music library is over 1500 full albums.

MOW ED
08-30-2000, 08:48 AM
Eric,
I use corded earplugs and a Sony Walkman Model SRF-HM55 (its yellow) you can preset 5 stations and change at the touch of a button. Its about 70 bucks and its real durable as well as being good in the rain. I bought mine at Best Buy.
There are alot of guys around here that use these.

Although, as loud as that Chopper is you might have to get an amplifier:)

parkwest
08-30-2000, 10:27 AM
You might try a baseball cap with a bandana hanging down the back under the cap to protect your neck and ears similar to what you might see in some old John Wayne calvary movies.

jeffyr
08-30-2000, 10:57 AM
Outdoor stoors and catalogues tend to have caps with material hanging off the back to protect your neck. Also try Eddie Bauer, LLBean, Eastern sports.
As for hearing, I wear the Elvex FM stereo. Worked great the first season, but there not durable enough. The wires inside break just from changing the battery. Forget about dropping them (get out the soldering Iron and get to work).

good luck

Guido
08-30-2000, 11:08 AM
I can score you a "boonie hat" in either woodland camo or desert camo. It will fit over the head phones. They keep you really cool in the sun. Drop me an e-mail if I can help. If their good enough for us, it should work for you! :)

GroundKprs
08-30-2000, 12:24 PM
Find all kinds of work hats you never even heard of at http://www.gemplers.com, search "hat".

Getmow
08-30-2000, 04:43 PM
W.E.Chapps sells neck sheilds that attach to ball caps . I have used these several years without getting that RED NECK look.
MOWED, be careful. Your Sony does not provide hearing protection. The Peltor's that ELM uses and the Elvex that I use are approved with 25 to 27 db. The radio will not turn up past 80db I think. This has been my first summer with them and they are great. With the loss of hearing from sirens we don't need to help ut along with weed eaters and rock-n-roll.

eslawns
08-30-2000, 04:54 PM
I used a Walkman for a bit, but I stopped because the ignition system caused a squealing sound over the head phones. None of you have problems with the sets you use? Tell me more, it gets a bit boring listening to the blades turning :)

MOW ED
08-30-2000, 07:17 PM
Getmow, I use corded earplugs first then put the Walkman over them. Believe me I wouldn't be able to stand it on the 26EFI if I didn't have the earplugs. I keep the radio just loud enough to hear it thru the plugs. I have been in the fire service 15 years and still have good hearing and eyesight dispite everything and I want to keep it good. Take Care.

Getmow
08-30-2000, 09:54 PM
MOW ED. Glad to hear you are taking care of the hearing. For comfort, ease of operation and safety these dedicated but pricey units are hard to beat. I have been in the fire service (paid) for 21 years, the last 16 have been in the p***enger seat. We now use the David Clark head seats.

bondlawn
08-30-2000, 10:14 PM
Thanks guys for all the comments. W.E. Chapps cool flap was just what the doctor ordered. I actually placed an order for it tonight when I got in.

Likestomow
08-30-2000, 10:30 PM
This is the first year I've used the Miracle Cool bandana. You soak it in water for 30 minutes, it swells up and stays wet around your neck all day. It keeps me cool and comfortable.

I bought the same thing in a full body vest, but didn't like it as much because, being wet all the time it attracted too much dust and dirt.

MLS
08-31-2000, 12:00 AM
Eric,

My brother and I have been looking for headphones with digital tuning for months. I don't think that anyone makes them. We made our own out of a set a Elvex protectors and a sony digital headphone radio. We just cut a small hole in the protectors and epoxied the headphones to the outside. Works great and now I don't have to worry about the little knob getting turned everytime I go under trees.