PDA

View Full Version : Volume Formula for Concrete Rubble

saktate
03-11-2003, 07:31 AM
I need to determine what size container is needed to hold concrete rubble. I busted up a sidewalk that measures 50 feet long by 32 inches wide by 6 inches deep.

I know how to determine cubic feet and yards, but that volume only works if I can stack the rubble like a deck of playing cards. How do you experts calculate for the air gaps that are crestd when this rubble is dumped in a container??

BRL
03-11-2003, 03:26 PM
I double it for estimating purposes. If it's small pieces you will need a little less space maybe. If it's large pieces, sometimes they land at bad angles that can really mess up the spacing, so you might end up needing more than double the space. If you do a search in the Landscaping Forum, there is a thread or 2 with similar themes. I believe some people posted formulas they use in those threads also. So in your case I'd get something at least 6 yds, but don't forget to factor the weight that the particular container (or truck) can handle, When I did a job once we filled a triaxle 3 times, but the concrete would have fit in 2 loads technically, but the 2 loads would have been overweight if so.

saktate
03-12-2003, 07:30 AM
OK BRL. I've thought about the weight, that's an issue that caught me off guard once before. As for the volume, the rubble is in pieces no larger than 18 inch by 18. Thanks again.

Gravel Rat
03-12-2003, 08:45 PM
I figured it out there is roughly 2.5 yards of concrete and concrete rip rap weighs aprox 130lbs per cu ft so your looking at 8700lbs roughly. I would say a 6 yard box will do but the truck will have tobe a 5 ton single axle or a tandem a mini rolloff truck on a 550 might struggle packing that weight plus the weight of the box.

What are you loading the box with are you doing it by hand or a skid steer or excavator if your machine loading it hire a 5 ton single axle dump with a 6 yard box.

saktate
03-12-2003, 09:31 PM
Thanks Gravel Rat, you helped me before with a similar question and you've come thru again. I will be loading by hand. I look at it as good exercise and it not too big of a job. I'll post some before and after pics. So much rain in Louisiana it's hard to finish any outdoor project with just the weekends to do the work.

BRL
03-12-2003, 11:08 PM
"there is roughly 2.5 yards of concrete and concrete rip rap weighs aprox 130lbs per cu ft so your looking at 8700lbs roughly"

"I will be loading by hand."

God bless you! Shall I call your chiropractor now to make an appointment for you? ;) LOL I have to get rid of around 1,000 or so pounds of concrete leftover from various jobs, and we'll be doing that on Friday, and we'll be putting every piece possible into the bucket of the rented Case 580L. Hopefully I won't be calling the chiropractor. Good luck & enjoy the workout. Actually that's the perfect type of job for rainy days when you can't do other projects.

lawn storm
03-22-2003, 08:54 AM
legth x width x thickness devided in to 162 = tons of blacktop devide that in to 1/2 and thats yards of concrete.

50'x3'x6"devided in to 162 =5.5tons of blacktop and devide that in half and you got 2.7 yards of concrete.

saktate
03-26-2003, 11:08 AM
Last Sunday, I completed the removal of this rubble by hand. Actually picked up every piece twice because I had to unload my truck!! Thought I'd never get it completed.

In 1981 the South Koreans taught me a valuable philosophy about work and exercise, "the older you get, the more exercise you need." I was running laps with some Koreans in a national park and when I asked how many laps they wanted me to run the answer was everyone will run their age (20 yrs old = 20 laps, 60 yrs old = 60 laps). Just the opposite of how most Americans think about exercise.

Glad this project is over.

Gravel Rat
03-26-2003, 02:16 PM
Hows your back ! busted up concrete is hard on the hands too makes shreds of any work glove made :D

hosejockey2002
03-27-2003, 01:11 AM
That job must have been like beating your head against an oak tree- it feels so good when you finally stop!:D :D