View Full Version : landscape lighting??

03-11-2003, 08:52 AM
does anybody do landscape lighting and do you have to be a electrian to do it? If you don't where is a good place to get good lights and supplies?

03-11-2003, 09:22 AM
Nightscaping.com is an excellent company to deal with. Excellent products and support. Good luck.

03-11-2003, 11:05 AM
If your just gettin into it, you could check out Home Depot. They have some good basic lighting features.

Lawn-N-Garden Guy
03-11-2003, 11:17 AM
Don't think you need to be a licensed elec as long as your working with low voltage systems and not installing outside recepts. to power your systems.

03-12-2003, 06:23 AM
You do not have to be licensed if you are working with low voltage. Some of your larger lights you will have to contract with an electrician.

03-12-2003, 11:18 AM
Hey Paps,

Just wondering why you wouldn't go to a wholesale supplier whether your new at it or been doing for years? When I first started, my supplier helped me with design, installation and pricing. If I have a problem on a job they will come there with parts I may have forgotten or answer any ?'s over the phone.


Do you have a supplier nearby? Ask if they have classes or seminars you could attend. Learn to do it right and you could make some good money. Price your jobs on the value of the outcome and not on cheap materials with a mark-up.

03-12-2003, 11:35 AM
I do use a wholesale supplier (Aquarius). This guy was saying he is just starting out, thats why I told him to try Home Depot because there stuff is inexpensive and easy to mess around with to get the hang out lighting. It was just a suggestion... If he has a nice supplier near him that would help him out by all means go there but I dont know his situation around there.

03-12-2003, 01:44 PM
No you do not need a lic. electrician unless you are installing, or moving receptacles. Small landscape lighting is low voltage. you don't need an electrician unless you are installing 110v or higher. :cool:

03-12-2003, 02:33 PM
Thanks for all the help. I made some phone calls and I fund one that is sending me alot of info to get started.

03-13-2003, 03:10 PM
Don't listen to the advice here about the electrical license issue. Every state is different. In SD the cutoff is 50 volts. Minn just went through a long process of getting this issue straightened out. I beleive that possibly NJ and IL have had some issues along these lines as well. In most cases the lighting and irrigation control wire fall into the same situations as well as some TV and security cable situations. Check with your own state .

Austreim Landscaping

03-13-2003, 10:50 PM
I do alot of lighting and use Hadco and Kim Lighting. They are commercial lighting companies and carry the very best in equipment at very reasonable prices. I use our Lighting and Fixture companies to get my stuff with. They will set you up with a wholesale account and you get everything at wholsale like a builder does and you can get the good stuff for about what you can get the plastic junk at Home Depot for. Go to hadcolighting.com and check them out. Also go to kimlighting.com to see what kind of product I am referring to so you can see it is premium stuff that you can make a fortune on installing. It installs just like the cheap kits at Home Depot and is very simple to learn if you haven't done it before.