PDA

View Full Version : Southern Maine

LB Landscaping
03-11-2003, 12:47 PM
Anyone out there from southern Maine??? I've met and talked with a couple of Mainers from this site but always glad to hear from more!!!

terramike
03-11-2003, 02:32 PM
To answer your question, no, I am in Southern NH. though. How long have you been in biz? I am just starting out this year and could use some help getting customers, both residential and commercial.

john b
03-11-2003, 05:45 PM
hello from portland maine!just starting out this year,if spring ever gets here that is.nice to see other folks from maine and new england here.

good luck this season!

john b
03-11-2003, 05:49 PM
southern n.h. not far from me,i'm guessing your in or near portsmouth.this is my first season too.maybe we can chat sometime and compare notes.

good luck

coldbrook landscapin
03-12-2003, 07:32 AM
hello ... I'm from the bangor area been in bussiness since 1991 if i can help any one please get back to me 9 days till spring.. : )

terramike
03-12-2003, 10:13 AM
My cousin and I have been in the corporate world for a number of years and have had it. We've always enjoyed the outdoors and especially the beautification of it. We decided that this was the year so we're going for it. No looking back now. Our family's have been involved in landscaping/arborist and flower business for years. My biggest question is of course regarding advertising both for residential and commercial customers. I would like to focus on the commercial accounts. I know every area is different and to ask what works and what doesn't is a rhetorical question but I guess more on how to approach the commercial accounts would be a better question. Also, does anyone at this point sub contract to anyone?

PeteB.
03-12-2003, 11:59 AM
Hello Everyone from the Great State of Maine! I am new to the site, and I must say it is AWESOME! Lots of info!
I am starting my own business this season...any advice would be appreciated. I have worked in the public sector for about 13 years, and I have done landscaping part time for about 16 years.
It is a passion of mine, and I am going to persue the dream!
Please offer any advice...I am planning on Landscaping and mowing...anything!
Thanks!

CLC
03-14-2003, 06:42 PM
Im in the York county area, Wells

PeteB.
03-14-2003, 08:27 PM
Andrew,

How long have you been in business? I am in York County also: Sanford. I am just starting out. Any advice?

Thanks,
Pete

CLC
03-15-2003, 12:28 PM
Pete
I started out working for a guy I worked with him for 4 years and bought his business. Ive been on my own for 3 years now. All I can say is pace yourself and dont let it burn you out. Its a stressful business but its well worth it in the end. Goodluck!!

PeteB.
03-15-2003, 12:53 PM
Andrew,
Thanks for the info and advice. How many accounts did you start with? And how many do you have now?
Thanks,
Pete

LB Landscaping
03-15-2003, 08:00 PM
Hey Pete, I started this thread so I guess I should jump in. I am mainly in the Portland area. I started 2+ years ago, the best thing I've ever done, there's nothing like being your own boss. I started with an ad in the Portland Press Herald, they have a service directory in the classified section. It cost me around $90 for a month. I ran it for two months in the spring and a month to-wards the end of the summer. It landed me about 25 accounts, I got an additional 15 from referrals. I started with just maintenance but this past year I have started to dabble with the Landscape side of things. This year I am going to distribute door hangers to people that live near my current customers so I can make each stop more productive. Good luck, shoot me an e-mail if you have any questions!!!

Rich's Lawn Care
04-02-2003, 10:22 PM
What's up all, hey LB love that new truck. I'm new to the biz this year so does any one work in the poland area?

later Rich

LB Landscaping
04-02-2003, 10:31 PM
Hey Rich, good to hear from you, is Poland outside of Gray??

Rich's Lawn Care
04-02-2003, 10:57 PM
yes it is it's the next town over.

LB Landscaping
04-02-2003, 11:04 PM
I'm about a half hour from you. Thats a nice area I went to a wedding there a year ago. Good Luck to ya!!!:D

Rich's Lawn Care
04-03-2003, 05:52 PM
Hey LB do you work in portland? if so what do you get for a cut down there?

later Rich

NG123
04-20-2003, 03:21 PM
Hey guys just wanted to say hello, im also from the portland area. Very new to the business. I was thinking about using the press herald for advretisement, anyone tried it? Good responce??

Thanks,
Nick

lablandscaping
04-21-2003, 08:42 AM
I'm from the Seacoast NH area. This is my second year. Anyone else near by?

rossignol5
04-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Im from Northern parts of Maine. Skowhegan Actualy i think im the only one on this site this far north.

Thanks,
Derek

hotshot4819
04-13-2007, 03:05 PM
hey all guys from southern,maine. i have been wondering why our nh forum is always active in this maine one is always dead, do you maine guys really make yourself that much busier. anyways if anyone of you southern maine guys need hydroseeding, let me know, i offer everything fron hydroseeding to erosion control, dust control and 100 organic hydroseed
767-2140

MSS Mow
04-30-2007, 06:33 PM
Im from Northern parts of Maine. Skowhegan Actualy i think im the only one on this site this far north.

Thanks,
Derek

East Machias here, not much further East either.

James grimes
05-20-2007, 10:48 AM
hey rossignol5
I live in Skowhegan but I work out of waterville

Ron Marston
11-06-2007, 01:04 AM
whats every body getting in maine for a man hour $$ . starting in march trying to figure out what going rate is in maine augusta area can anybody help ??

ferris52
12-14-2007, 10:00 PM
Ron the man to ask about man-hour rates in your area would be Mark Clement, (Clement Bros.) they are in your area, and seem to have a streamlined operation, don't you have some of his old ferris 61"s?
any way bill accordingly if you do great work your billing should reflect it.

MaineFert
12-16-2007, 09:46 AM
Hey everyone,
Southern Maine here, snowed in. I was hoping to fly out today, but not happening...anyway. I hope to make some connections, as our company does alot of different things, mostly design / install adn lawn care. We also rep fertilizer, so if any of you are looking for any this coming spiring let me know. Especially with prices they way they are. Anyway, good luck with the snow and I will catch you soon.

Jim

MOWEMJEFF
03-06-2008, 06:05 PM
Sooo Soon!!!

JH Masonry
06-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Hello, I live in the western foothills of Maine. I've been in the masonry, hardscape buisness for 15 years. 5 of that on my own, currently I am working for Blue Rock Industries. I still have my own buisness just a lot less stress now.

nortonlawncare
04-01-2012, 09:48 PM
hey guys I'm in Wells Maine, going on my 5th year in the biz, hoping to the growth up in my business.