PDA

View Full Version : How is your homeowner ZTR holding up?

BigDave
03-11-2003, 01:54 PM
Hi all,

My Dad has 2 acres of mostly flat lawn, with plenty of trees, that he mows weekly in PA, and he is thinking about replacing his 15+ year old Gravely garden tractor with a ZTR.

I told him to look at the high-end (engine and cutting width) of these homeowner models:
Hustler Fastrak
Gravely ZT
Toro Time Cutter ZX

I told him that based on my research on this site, I would most recommend the Fastrak, because it appears to have the most commercial parts.

My question for any of you who owns the Fastrak (or actually any of these 3 models) is: how long have you had yours, and how well is it holding up?

Thanks!
Dave

sjz60
03-16-2003, 01:01 AM
I bought a Hustler Fastrack last summer, and it has been great. I purchased it from Hoober Equipment on Route 301 in Delaware. I only have 40 hours on it so far, but it has been a great mower, and is light years ahead of the old Craftsman lawn tractor I sold.

My next door neighbor has a Timecutter, and when you compare them side by side, it becomes obvious that the Hustler is the better built machine.

I have the 52"/20HP model, and it has PLENTY of power, using it to cut about 1.5 acres of thick fescue.

I recommend that you get the optional seat springs though, they greatly improved the ride. Also, I just switched to gator blades, but havent used them yet..the stock blades worked fine, but seemed to leave rather long clippings..I am hoping the gators chop up the grass a bit more.

Everyone that has used another ztr, has commented on the compact size of the Hustler, and how responsive the controls are. The Time cutter is the same speed as the Fastrack, and the Cub Cadet Tank is faster, but the Hustler was the most bang for the buck. Plus I cannot say enough about Hoober Equipment, they have been great to deal with, and they delivered the unit to my door at no charge, and I am a good hour away from them.

Good luck!

BigDave
03-21-2003, 12:58 PM
Thanks for your reply sjz60.

So, Dad is now trying to make a decision between the Fastrak for ~ $5K, and a commerical Grasshopper mid-mount 52" 22 hp Kohler for just over $6K.

Thanks again.

crawdad
03-21-2003, 09:28 PM
What model Gravely is it?
Crawdad

BigDave
03-27-2003, 09:17 AM
Sorry, don't know (and I'm sure my dad doesn't know off hand) the model of his 15-year-old Gravely. If this helps you, I know it has a 12 hp rear-mounted Kohler; gear drive with 4 gears in low range and 4 gears in high range; a 54" deck; is real heavy and built very well.

amrupp
03-27-2003, 03:48 PM
BIG DAVE -

I was in the exact same situation as your dad last summer. I was considering a FasTrack and Timecutter. Between the two, there's really no comparison - the FasTrack is MUCH better. For the money the FasTrack was going to run, I started to price out some entry level commercial machines too. I priced Exmark, Toro and Bobcat. I liked the Exmark the best, and started looking into a comparison between an Exmark Lazer HP, 48" cut, 19 hp Kaw, and the Hustler Fastrak, with the 20 hp Honda. I don't really think it's fair to compare the two because the Exmark is clearly a commerical unit, but the price difference isn't that great. Anyway, after looking at both, I decided on the Exmark and haven't been disappointed. I may have been just as happy with the FasTrak, but my point is that for the $5 to $6 thousand your dad is looking to spend, you should consider it some commercial models too.

CBB
03-27-2003, 09:22 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know that Exmark has just come out with the Lazer CT, which is a scaled down version of the LHP. It has an 18 hp Kohler and is offered in 44" and 48" Retail pricing is from $5200-$5400.

Still has the same fabricated deck, and offers the same warranties as all of their other machines. Would be perfect for the homeowner or small commercial applications.