PDA

View Full Version : First Landscaping Job/Bid Help me

Daleman
03-11-2003, 03:13 PM
Hey guys I need some serious help and fast. I am just starting my lawncare/landscaping biz and passed out 500 door hangers today. When I got home I already had a call. It was from a man who is the "head of a neighborhood", a really, really nice one with executive homes. Anyways currently the have a gate on each side of the entrance to their neighborhood and it looks really tacky. He said they want some ideas from me with estimates and want the job done ASAP. I have done small landscaping jobs on my own home like retaining walls around decks, etc. but this is a little new to me. Any info from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for helping out a new guy.

Daleman
03-11-2003, 03:55 PM
Let me add some more info to help you help me. They want something that will not need a large amount of watering, and something that is "deer resistent" as there are a large amount of deer in their area. Also they want something that has color all year and comes back year after year. I am thinking a combination of evergreens, dogwoods, perennials and annuals, and maybe some grasses. I jsut don't know how to combine all these to "make a work of art", please help..........

HicksGroundMgt
03-11-2003, 05:12 PM
pictures.

not too much help with "gates on each side of the entrance". there are too many different types of gates to go by your description.

Daleman
03-11-2003, 05:15 PM
Sorry if my explanation was vague. There are 2 gates each steel approximately 5' high and about 10' long, one on each side of the road at the entrance of this neighborhood. I will get a pic on here tomorrow latest. Please try and help me with the info I provided so far.

Striper
03-11-2003, 05:27 PM
Deer resistant plants are pretty important if the herd is pretty bad in your area. Don't plant yews, arborvitae, azalea or rhododendron for evergreens-deer love these. For something tall maybe a weeping Alaskan cedar (dogwood is good too), Medium evergreen pieris japonica (dwarf varieties), for a ground cover maybe blue chip juniper. You might want to throw in a few deciduous shrubs too (Little Princess Spirea). There are many types of perennials to use, just pick a nice color scheme and plant in masses to give a good appearance. (stella D'oro day lilly - long bloom time)
In your design just start with the tall stuff in back with the lower plants toward the front. Make sure you look at mature growth so that things don't look cramped in a couple of years.
You mentioned fountain grasses they are good to use, they also add interest in winter landscape.

Good Luck