View Full Version : Truck Insurance

03-11-2003, 06:53 PM
Ok now if I wanted to put a sign on my truck/trailer I would need commercial plates right??

Now my budget for this year won't allow for more expensive insurance...

Do i need to have some type of commercial insurance on the truck and trailor?

02-06-2006, 05:11 PM
If you letter your truck you are a commercial business and would require commercial auto and commercial plates. Furthermore, you will be recogized by the highway patrol, or stat troopers, or commercial enforcment, or whatever the hell you have in NJ as a commercial vehicle. If your pulling a trailer you will be expected to be in compliance with state DOT regulations such as hitch-ups, braking, lighting, etc. Lettering your vehicle is a big step in the eyes of the money-makers (gov't, insur comp,). You become legitimate and are expected to pay your cut to the big boys.

02-06-2006, 07:26 PM

It really depends on your location and your insurance carrier. Call your insurance agent and ask him, and check with your state DOT about the state regulations.

02-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Are these laws the same in Michigan?

02-06-2006, 08:01 PM
everywhere is different, just because you put logos on your truck doesnt mean you are a commercial vehcile, could just be for advertising purposes. You may get recognized easier by law enforcment though. I got commercial insurance this month and it was acutally 100.00 less a month than i was currently paying, so you might just want to shop around

02-06-2006, 08:40 PM
I don't know the answer to your question but I would not think that just because you put signs on your truck that you would need commercial insurance. If that were the case then every Dominos driver that has a sign on their car or truck would have to have comm. insurance. Right? What about real estate agents that have a magnet on the side of their car?

02-06-2006, 08:47 PM
Listen, when you place advertising on the side of your vehicle, it is now used for commercial purposes. That is the bottom line. Now, there is always grey area, and yes different states have different laws. But, turning your vehicle into a rolling billboard makes it's use commercial. I am new at lawncare, but I do have a good education in marketing/advertising and insurance (which both naturally encompass some law) Do not take my word or anyone elses on this site about such matters. Find out for yourself the letter of the law surrounding your dilema. Because ignorance is not a viable defense with the establishment. Grassmanak had to have dropped collision when he changed, or raised his deductible... something changed, because commercial = $$'s to insurance companies. Domino's drivers are employees, or are contractee workers that are subject to their contractor's insurance. Find an educated professional with a teaching mentality to help you with your PERSONALIZED situation, Spuds.

02-06-2006, 10:33 PM
as far as i know you need commercial insurance to letter your truck, however magnets are in the gray area, at least i thought. i have my use listed as artisan which alows me to use the truck for personal and business uses, cost 220 more a year, not a huge jump to be legit at all. but like it was said call and find out. i would assume laws very. hope this helps

02-07-2006, 12:44 AM
even if you do not letter your ttruck you are still using it for commercial perposes. therfore you need commercial plates and comercial insurence. call your insurence company and see what they say but dont have it and need it you might be screwed