PDA

View Full Version : starting a hydro business

MD Land Management
03-11-2003, 06:59 PM
I,m thinking about adding hydroseeding to my company. What do you guys think are the benefits to doing so. Is there enough business out there to warrant buying the equipment. How many jobs does it usually take to pay off one of these machines. We would be looking to start with residential and small commercial. Most likely new construction. What are the benefits of buying v.s. renting? TurboTurf a hydroseeding manufacture will provide postcards and or links on their site if you buy their machines. Im not to sure on the profit on these types of jobs if you guys can give me a ballpark it would be appriected.

gslam88
03-11-2003, 07:16 PM
Md,

What are the cost of the turbo turf? ... I understand that most units are 10k plus for the small ones???
Thinking about adding it also....

Pete

Sean Gassman
03-11-2003, 10:25 PM
Do you currently have anyone asking for the service? You may want to find a good sub-contractor a learn a little first. Build the service using the sub-contractor then when you think you can be profitable buy a machine. As for postcards links etc. the Hydro Turf Planters Association will do the same for $100 membership, thats better than spending thousands. HTPA is having our 4th Annual Conference and Exhibit in April. You may want to come, Finn, Bowie, Turbo Turf, EasyLawn, Kincaid, and others will be there. see first hand the machines. We have a demo area to see them work and we will have a training session that will allow you to grab a hose and work. Check out he web site at www.htpa.org

paul
03-11-2003, 10:30 PM
The biggest part of seeding is the prep work..... the differance in making money with hydroseeding is having the jobs lined up and the labor that goes into seeding. That means seeders that have paddles will mix faster and shoot more loads in a day.

plowboy81
03-11-2003, 10:58 PM
I worked for a landscaping co. for two years and we did alot of hydrotacking. We rarely put seed and fert in the mix. We put out the seed and fert then the straw and then we would just tack down the straw to hold it down and to hold in moisture. We found that this was cheaper and worked just as well. Alot of people didn't want to pay the extra so this is why we did it that way. We charged $300 per 1000 gal tank which did between and acre and an acre and a half. About 85% of the time we used it when we seeded for grading companies because inspectors required the tack. Your best bet is to talk to some of the grading businesses and see if you can get their business. Tacking comes down to them getting the inspection for the job or getting a super large fine. Good luck and hope this helped. Remember, I live in NC, so your area may be different than mine.

SCL
03-12-2003, 03:54 PM
PLowboy1 did I miss something? You say it was cheaper to lay down fert, lay down seed, and then lay down straw, then Spray? Instead of just blasting it together? Seems like time is money to me and I've done both all at once and also drilling, then spraying. Did I also get that 1000 gal did 1-1 1/2 acre? Figuring a 1K machine probably shots 400 lbs of mulch , thats <300-400 lbs per acre. Why bother? Even over straw thats rediculusly low.

MD,
Look to finding a good used machine starting out, preferably paddle agitated, and see how it goes. Not near the investment and you can get most of it back if it doesn't pan out.

plowboy81
03-12-2003, 10:31 PM
SCL,

I have recently found out how much more it costs to operate a business up North vs down SOUTH. We made very good money and time the way we did it. I guess we just made it happen and it always worked for us.

SCL
03-13-2003, 10:06 AM
pb81
Not dissing or flaming you in either post, just boggles the mind the pricing differences. I thoiught about moving that way when my kids are outa school but it doesn't seem feasible. I can see why you had to get other employment. Good luck. By the way, that seems like pretty good money for the silt fence thing.