PDA

View Full Version : Raising ground level

precisionlawn
03-11-2003, 10:50 PM
I have a question about raising the ground level on a property that I currently maintain. The whole side of this yard, maybe 1000' x 10', slopes down and collects alot of water when it rains. What would be the best way to solve this problem? I figured to raise that part of the land up, right? If so, how would you go about doing this top soil and sod, or top soil and seed, or what???
Just curious on how and if you can go about fixing this problem? Thank you.

Randy Scott
03-11-2003, 10:56 PM
How much were you planning on raising the ground level? Any significant grade change needs approval by the town, city, or village you live in. I'd find out before getting into something you shouldn't be doing. In our area, anytime you add 18 inches or more of soil, an approval is needed and drainage issues with existing swails are a concern that needs to be approved by the village.

precisionlawn
03-11-2003, 11:00 PM
Probablly about 2 feet.
Thank you I will check with the city ordinances>

gslam88
03-11-2003, 11:10 PM
I would rethink the topsoil idea... you looking at about 750 yards of topsoil if I do the calculations right.... and at even if you split that to 600 yards of fill and 150 yards of topsoil .... even at lowball prices of $5 for fill $3000 and then $15 for topsoil $2250 for that ... looking at over $5k on just topsoil.... not labor.. no seed...

Is that in the customers budget.... just food for thought...

also are you need a septic or well area...

what about adding drainage to get rid of the water instead of raising it???

Pete
:confused:

NYRookie
03-11-2003, 11:13 PM
I would fill about 18" of it with sand. It is cheaper and it will drain faster than topsoil. I would than top off the last 6" with topsoil. Depending on the steepness of the finished grade and the owners budget on whether to sod or seed.

paponte
03-12-2003, 12:05 AM
Why not just install a drywell or 2? :confused:

hoffmanlandscaping
03-12-2003, 12:40 AM
Another option that you may be able to consider is tile. That is if all you are wanting to abtain is to move the water out of the area. Just a thought.

ipm
03-12-2003, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by hoffmanlandscaping
Another option that you may be able to consider is tile. That is if all you are wanting to abtain is to move the water out of the area. Just a thought.

I would try to figure out a way to get the water to shed, be it pipe, french drain, swail, etc.

Is the topo. a bowl shape??:confused:

AGLA
03-12-2003, 07:21 AM
You have to know where the water is coming from and where it is going to go if you raise the land. In some cases, filling in only makes a bigger shallow puddle.
You just have not given enough info, yet.

precisionlawn
03-12-2003, 03:47 PM
what type of drainage system is the easiest to install and most effective?
Where can I get more info on this type of drainage system?
Thank You

capital
03-13-2003, 12:08 AM
I do not mean to sound cruel, but I think u need to re think this project. You started out asking about raising the grade, now have switched to asking about tile. Lets back up and ask some obvious questions, is this a commercial prop, a residential prop, were are u planning on taking the water? Do u have the correct insurance? Have u ever done this? Have to talked to the township or city? Have u contacted the state DNR? What is in the ground were its wet? I do not know what line of work u do, but you are getting into an area, that can create alot of problems if u have no experience. I think sometimes its best to tell client no, or find an engineer or company to learn from and let them do the work so u do not find urself paying them later on for your miss steps.