PDA

View Full Version : heres my tips

ronslawncare
03-11-2003, 10:16 PM
i have just started myself this will be my third year,i wil list all ideas that come to mind.

1.get a business checking account ,dba
2.business credit card (keep all gross reciepts)
3.use quickbooks for bookeeping
4.make a business plan
5.Know youre competition
6.dont lowball youre service ,if you must lower youre rates use a one time introductory rate.
7.price increasing is mandatory get use to it,or dont even bother
8.dont forget customer service ,excelent work commands higher prices.
9.pesticide liscence (this is something im working on getting)
10.leave youre cellphone # on aswer machine when you are not in the office.
11.give customers e-mail adress (consider designing a website)
12.get the templates from lawnsite they are awesome.
13.tax deductions there are quite alot of tax deductables in this business learn them.
14.advertising i use flyers they are cheap and very affective at office max for 30.00 i get 1,000 black and white flyers
15.make sure you have and operating exspence budget
16.biz liscence,biz insurance
17.budget youre cash flow 12 month billing (something im working on)
18.expect to get rip off at least once ,there are deadbeats that are not even worth youre time collecting
19.create an identity ,truck and trailer should be the same color as youre company uniform and all stationary how much do i think this is important a thousand percent.
20.focus on goals and prorities
21.ask for referals
22.take business classes at local college
23.going on estimates make sure you have a business card ,proposal,measuring tape for gates width ,measuring wheel for sq ft.,calculator,clean clothes.
24.expanding youre business,try going out of youre town,adding a employee or add additional services.
25.most important tip of all read lawnsite as much s possiable

my brain is going to burst know goodluck.....:D :D :D :D :D

paponte
03-11-2003, 11:53 PM
First question... what town(s) do you work in? Must be close.

After that, sounds like a good game plan. I don't agree with #18 though. I like collecting my money. Also #19 isn't all that much important, your work will speak louder than any sign. And #25 is MOST important.

Good luck to you this year.
:cool:

gslam88
03-12-2003, 12:01 AM
I would say that # 10 is not an issue... call forwarding... the customer does not know that your not in the office

don't under estimate # 4 ... always hear plan your work, work your plan

on #3... watch qb.. good program.. but can be tricky... if you put the wrong date on a payment, invoice, etc before a invoice it could look like less money coming in.... or if you make a deposit thru the program.. .will lower sometimes incorrectly your a/r

just my .02 for now

Pete

ronslawncare
03-12-2003, 01:18 AM
west babylon ....
i withdraw # 18 you are absoulutely correct ,no one should rip you off ,unfortunatly i gave up after 80 trips to this guys house it was only a couple cuts it wasnt worth my time anymore..

i do believe # 19 is very important in my eyes but from youre point of view you are right.this is not something you have to do right away,its just that theres a million landscapers how are you suppose standout......if you see one image over an over an over again instead 500 difrent colors trucks and trailers and biz cards ect,you start to stand out .thats a huge form of advertising right there .......

Tomt
03-16-2003, 08:59 PM
19.create an identity ,truck and trailer should be the same color as youre company uniform and all stationary how much do i think this is important a thousand percent.

I agree with the general concept, but am not sure that clean and professional doesn't serve the purpose. Equipment appearance in important also. I think that if money is no consideration, you are correct.

Sean Adams
03-18-2003, 08:10 PM
This is great info for those getting started....

hotpan
03-08-2006, 01:16 PM
ya i like these tips

daveintoledo
03-08-2006, 01:22 PM
very well thought out....:)

aka dd
10-29-2006, 09:22 PM

why?

DBL
10-29-2006, 11:00 PM
im on board with those tips

MowerMoney
10-29-2006, 11:24 PM

why?

I agree. Took several before I got into business. And am now taking several landscape certificate courses. Can never learn too much.

BTW...Great list :)