PDA

View Full Version : Need some motivation/wisdom

SpudsM15
03-11-2003, 10:45 PM
Guys I dunno what I should do.
I feel uncertain about entering into business, sometimes I feel like i'm not making the right choice.
My sistuation is I have a truck and trailor, 1 trimmer/edger, and 2 bp blowers, all the hand tools ya need.

Now my uncertainty is this. I still goto school(I'm only in a 2 year college)small biz management major. To tell you the truth I hate school, I think i have add or something like that can't stay focused on it. I work a ft job, and have a ft girlfriend. I'm only 19 so i'm still young. I want to start the biz I know the risks, I only have about 4k for a budget this year. That is all going for a exmark and attachments. I still need to get a insurance and a biz licence.
Now I need some motivation of numbers as in $ really how much money can i make realistically if this is my ft occupation. Cause at my current job the way I am going there i can be makin alot of money in 6 or so years, but i won't be my own boss.

Should I wait a year make some more money to invest into the biz, or should i just get the mower this season mow what lawns i have and get insured, and not really expand untill i feel ready. Or should i just take a nose dive into it and try to go all out from the start.

I know my question is unclear but one of my bosses said his buddy maxxed out at 65k a year from lawn cutting then he sold it and got into stone work and is making 6 figures a year. Is that realistic? for working say 10 hours 6 days a week???????

robert payer
03-11-2003, 11:36 PM
Spuds,

Follow your heart. Do what seems right for you. Listen to your family and friends. Pray over it. If you choose the business, Lawnsite will help you along a little quicker. Lawnsite can generally point you in the proper direction. The rest is up to you!

Think about it. Your first impression and intuition is usually right!

paponte
03-11-2003, 11:44 PM
DUDE!! Your not kidding you need motivation. I almost fell asleep reading your post. First of all (not to piss on your party) but with the amount of motivation you have, I can't see you making it all that long in the biz. You'r not going to have a boss to keep you in line. It's all up to you man. If your not motivated to bust your @ss, your not going to make anything. It takes alot to get a strong business going. you'll only make what you put into it. One you get rolling, 6 10hr days is considered a slow week!

If you only have 4k why spend it all on a mower? Buy something used for now, and see what you are going to do. If things take off, then you spend. You can only spend if you have it. Trust me you will need it for other things. being in business for yourself isn't cheap.

It seems to me that you are just looking to make some fast cash. Maybe I'm wrong. If you have questions feel free to ask away. :cool:

SpudsM15
03-11-2003, 11:57 PM
You know I think maybe your right I'm looking to make some fast cash.
The thing with me is if I'm sitting down its hard for me to get up. And when I am standing/ working I'll pull 17 hour shifts.
I just need someone to kick me in the behind to get me moving, I guess that person is gonna have to me.
I guess some of my lack of motivation is all the **** going on with my family and hospitals getting depressing!

65hoss
03-12-2003, 12:01 AM
My first thought is if your struggling to stay focused now, your really in trouble when your the only person responsible. You must be a go-getter in this biz. If you are, then you can make it. If your not, then stay where you are.

You must decide if your strong enough to build this business.

robert payer
03-12-2003, 08:09 AM
Spuds,

I might suggest that you consider working for a while with the best landscape company that you can find. Be selective in who you choose. Within that year or two you will learn more than one can imagine. Not only how to do the work but how the business is organized. You will also have the opportunity to put away some more cash.

If you work for some one your odds of future success will increase. If you work hard for a well run larger company, you might be able to ride their coat tail and receive the work that does not interest them. Build strong relationships in life you can never go wrong.

Concerning ones motivation or lack of, when it comes to stepping up to the plate you will do fine. Think base hits. Doubles, triples and the homers will follow with experience.

Always remember to plan a strategy.

djsmokin
03-12-2003, 08:30 AM
Spuds,

Nothing wrong with you that life won't put into order. Most of us have been there at one time or another. Sounds like to me from reading your post that you are sort of tired of most of the things around you.

Two things for the fix come to my mind.
1. Figure out where your true interests in life are and study those. Uncle Sam is glad to loan you money to go to school full time. Study what you like first in school and once you get in the groove you can take all the general classes later. Maybe a trade school first until you find what you like.

2. Join the Military and see the world, meet some folks, and find out about what sort of things you like to do.

There is going to be plenty of lawns to cut when you get out of the service or out of school.

I have been right where you are when I was your age. Remember the lack of motivation is only a lack of stimulation.
Dj

paponte
03-12-2003, 09:35 AM
I guess some of my lack of motivation is all the **** going on with my family and hospitals getting depressing!

Yes that can be very depressing. When I was in that point of my life and my father was in the hospital, the way I dealt with it was working even harder. the harder I worked the less my mind was on it. Although it sounds heartless, it was a way to deal with the stress at the moment, while at was at work.

As other people had said, make sure what you really want to do for a living. Being in business for yourself you could make a fortune. On the flip side, you can also lose your shorts. :cool:

SpudsM15
03-12-2003, 10:02 AM
Now that I slept on it and after talking to my g/f for a few hours, it seems its not my work ethic but i need to sort out my personal life before i can organize the biz...... Gonna try to make myself a checklist of what i have to do.

paponte
03-12-2003, 12:14 PM
Seems like maybe your g/f can be your motivation? Either way, best of luck to you. As I said, any questions just ask. :cool:

Kevin1
12-31-2006, 06:50 PM
Starting this spring I am going to be starting my own lawn care business. At first I was going to just fertilize and weed control. I bought a 300 gal sprayer and the guy I bought it from offered to sub out an account about 30 miles away from me for lawn mowing. Its a $4,000-$5,000 ($52 per hr) account. Is it worth taking the account and getting a loan for an additional 6k-8k for a zero turn mower. Also would I have to get a 3/4 ton truck to haul my sprayer or can I get by with a 1/2 ton? I've seen a big difference in prices between a 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Kevin

JJLandscapes
01-01-2007, 02:32 AM
the family problems should be used to motivate you not bring you down.. Thats what gave me a jumpstart

LawnTamer
01-01-2007, 10:51 AM
You've already received a lot of good advice; let me sum it up and add my $.02.
1. Don't blow your whole $4k on a mower. You can buy used, or you could even get a good Walk Behind for a lot less. I am very fond of the Toro T-bar belt drives, you could get a new 36" for $2,900 or a 48" for $3,200.
2. Work for someone else first. If you haven't done lawn maintenance before, then you need to get real experience. This will help you work faster and smarter.
3. If you do go into this business, then YOU are your main limiting factor- there are others; this is a very competitive field, there is low overhead cost to become a LCO.
Good luck.

J&R Landscaping
01-01-2007, 11:25 AM
I've kinda been in the same boat as you are. I have the equipment and a decent customer base but I am un sure about wether or not to go full time with it. I think by spring I will have plenty of work just not sure if I will be able to quit my other job.

Tim Wright
01-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Let me take a shot at this real quick.

1. Happiness is based on outward circumstances. If things don't go our way or the way we plan, we are not happy.

2. Joy and peace come from within. You can have joy, and peace, and enjoy life even when hell itself is closing in on you. True joy only comes from one place, even though everyone can have a measure of it. True joy comes from Christ, like it or not. You cannot know the peace of God until you are at peace with God. Enough on the preaching, if you want to know more, just ask.

3. So, your motivation needs to come from both within and without. Others have said your situation should serve as motivation, and that is true. It should. But you need to be at peace regardless of where you are, strive to do more, go further and yet be content. Be motivated to achieve, because you do your best.

4. That 65k cap had to be a solo indevour. You can do what you want in any business. If you want to break the solo ceiling, then create a business system, invest in it, build the system until you cannot do another thing yourself, then hire and duplicate yourself until you are making what you want to make. If that gets to be too much, then hire a manager, and add the stone service and start another means of adding to the money pot.

If that all sounds like too much work, then you are better off working for someone else. Just remember, don't complain because you have a boss, and only make what they are willing to pay you, and when they want to pay you. You are now their paid servant. Its your JOB.

Again, do not let life get you down. Yes easier said than done. But I can tell you, I have been on my death bed twice, bankrupt, and my inlaws at my throat, and my wife threatening to leave all at the same time. So I have a little bases to say what I am saying. I refuse to let them steal my joy, and enjoyment of life. I refuse to let death steal my enjoyment of life.

Its a moment by moment thing. Its the little things. You get the idea.

And as someone else has said, if we can help, just ask. Well do what we can to help you pull through!!!!

Tim