PDA

View Full Version : Chuck, what's up with the gr***??

KirbysLawn
08-30-2000, 11:12 PM
Why is every word "gr***", "b***", or any that have the letters "a" "s" "s" bing edited? Auto edit program?

bob
08-30-2000, 11:13 PM
On a post I wrote the word G r a s s h o p p e r and it was *** out!

bob
08-30-2000, 11:15 PM
Maybe its an automatic editing program to keep the forum clean!

Eric just emailed me and said it was an automatic editing program.

[Edited by bob on 08-31-2000 at 02:18 AM]

Kevin
08-30-2000, 11:15 PM
I thought I was the only one seeing this ****

Eric ELM
08-30-2000, 11:16 PM
I think the auto edit feature got turned on. Bob emailed me thinking I was editing all these. I'm not Bob and I emailed you back. I have enough to do without editing Gr*** and B***. :)

LoneStarLawn
08-30-2000, 11:17 PM
Same thing happened to me when i wrote "a s s ume". Had to change it to "think". Thought it was funny, but seems like a good idea to keep it clean.

Twotoros
08-30-2000, 11:19 PM
Isn't the word *** in the bible.

Twotoros
08-30-2000, 11:20 PM
Yep it was deleted by a higher power . So much for talking about the bible.

accuratelawn
08-30-2000, 11:50 PM
I think it's Phil with the A-1 auto response.

Eric ELM
08-30-2000, 11:56 PM
Phil has been on alot lately about 6 AM Central time.

bob
08-30-2000, 11:59 PM
Phil just sits in the back and listens, but doesn't say a word.

KirbysLawn
08-31-2000, 12:16 AM
Like a lot of people.

columbiaplower
08-31-2000, 12:20 AM

[Edited by columbiaplower on 08-31-2000 at 03:25 AM]

JJ Lawn
08-31-2000, 01:34 AM
I ***ume that any day now we'll see an AOL Banner on the opening page. This sucks.

Jim

Charles
08-31-2000, 05:05 AM
We are being treat like babies. Now thats professional. Communism is alive and well hehe. Well it sure looks that way. More harm is done by censoring than any profanity ever caused. Make this forum any more boring and less colorful. And you will be begging for visitors like most of the internet. 2000 members is nothing compared to what a very interesting site could attract. It takes alot more members than that to be attractive to advertisers. And alot of them dont participate or check in regular. Place needs to be spiced up not censored. And the majority of the few people complaining rarely help anyone and only post to whine.

[Edited by Charles on 08-31-2000 at 12:06 PM]

bucktail
08-31-2000, 08:07 AM
What a shame I guess if even what are supposed to be forums geared for professionals wont support free speech wich in turn leads to open debate and discussion what chance do we have with the ever growing federal government! political corectness has gone to far! I think it's best to let the kids take over this forum since they and wives are the majority anyway plus they dont mind being told what to do and how to think.

bucktail
08-31-2000, 08:17 AM
Hey my dog was looking at my computer screen and had to witness the word "sucks" being thrown around this is a disgrace the auto-edit program must be refined!

lawrence stone
08-31-2000, 08:20 AM
***, gr***, or gas no one rides free.

JJ Lawn
08-31-2000, 09:02 AM
Even my **** in the henhouse finds this ***inine.

jim

Runner
08-31-2000, 11:32 AM
From now on, we'll just refer to it as gras, or maybe grazz.

GrassMaster
08-31-2000, 11:32 AM
Hello Everybody:

AOL is the Big Boys on the Internet. LOL, most folks know this by now & that's why the numbers (majority) use AOL. They are slowly raising their fees & their numbers of members are growing by leaps & bounds. If they charge $49.95 a month for unlimited service I will still be a dedicated member as I have since 1994?

There is providers that can't even come close to AOL & they give their services away. Now I wonder why? Content that's the reason & the only reason? That's a Fact Jack!

Free most of the time is nothing but very cheap, I get what I pay for? It's always the best, that's why the price tag is so high?

"It's easier to opologize for price now than quality down the road!"

AOL is responsible for a lot of good things on the Internet. LOL, 30,000,000+ people can't be wrong? Look at AOL Instant Messenger. AIM, the most used communication device on the Internet. AIM is also used by a lot of other service providers & they pay dearly to let their members use it under their name. Look at all the Major Corperations that AOL now owns, I can't even begin to list them all.

Ask any webmaster how much traffic he gets from AOL. Or how important it is to be placed on the once called AOL Net Find Page. Now it's just a search engine page after clicking on the AOL home web page. It's more important to be listed there than on Yahoo or AltaVista. If you have a website & the majority of your traffic doesn't come from AOL, you need to figure out where you went wrong?

Hey why do you think other large sites, Example L&L Mag - plus many many others, have special links on their E-mails & news letters that are just for AOL users. AOL members are the only ones that get this special treatment on these E-mails? LOL, I wonder WHY?

Sponsors out there pay $5,000 t0 $20,000 for a banner on certain pages on AOL for 1 hour or less & they happy with the results. Who else can charge this & have satisfied customers.

They have really went out of their way to help censorship on the internet for children. They started it & others followed as with everything else that AOL does?

Yes lots of folks talk bad about AOL, but it was the same when they talked bad about these Operating Systems when they first came out, like Win 95, Win 98, Win 2000 & now the Windows ME. But look at the same folks that talked bad about this over the years & see what operating system they have now or in the future? Always consider your source of information before you judge something?

Now to Phil for just a minute, he is very busy individual. Do not think he will post here again. At least he gets more positive things about him now than when he posted. He was bashed hard, others can get away with anything & no bashing. There has always got to be a fall guy & in this case it was Phil. Yes he's hard to understand, sometimes aggervating & he sometimes trys way way too hard. But at one time he was on this forum doing a lot of positive things. Phil, He's gone but not forgotton? We are all different, we need to understand that. It's OK to tolerate a few but not others. It's looks very one sided to me?

Yes, he's one of my Internet Friends that I work with & talk to almost daily just as Ed, Eric, Chuck, Doc & many many others. Hey you guys do not know Doc but he had a nice website & is in the process of another but he chose not to post to this site. But he was here almost every day!

Now look at all the profanity & personal slamming, what it's done & how it's hurt me the Gr***Master & many others or can I still type my name with pride & not worry that I will have parts of my name deleted because a chosen few doesn't how to act in the general public? Thanks but no thanks! I've earned my name & used it for many years. Now look at what you few have done to me? Do I deserve this, Nada, I don't think so?

I can use my head, think for 5 seconds in the future & still type something that will get across far more than some child learning dirty words. They start out small just 4 lettered ones but then they get bigger & then the by far greater number of us folks that enjoy posting here have to suffer because of a few thrill seekers, that do not know how to communicate with the general population & use proper language.

Sorry for all the rambling, but here it is.

It's just like the time I posted about the Advertisers not wanting to Support others sites on the internet. Oh yes you get a few sponsors now & then. We all have had a few sponsors at one time or another for us that have websites. But still in the same, they are not going to do it that much, if you notice when one does help or Sponsor, they do not stick around long.

All I did was ask one question & out of I do not remember how many replys not one answered it correctly. I had to give up, I asked the question in so many different ways it was rediculous. LOL. maybe I should have asked in another language. I probably will never ask another question here again. I will post my thoughts & try to help others as I always have.

AOL plays a very important roll on the Internet just as Micro$oft does? Where would we be now without them? That's a Fact Jack!!!!!

bucktail
08-31-2000, 12:09 PM
Wow how much stock do you own in AOL? talking to the general public is one thing talking to peers and sharing suggestions and frustrations is another. Is this forum set up for kids or PROFESSIONAL'S in the landscape service industry? Many professionals use language not suitable for children doctors,attorneys,priests,ministers,cpa's,ect... this is not to say that this forum should be set up so that constant bickering and tons of foul language should be the focul point, however to censor and try to control the direction of the threads will only hurt the exchange of free ideas! do you think that when Time published a step by step guide on how to build a nuculear bomb they didnt get heat of course they did the felt however that free speech was not only a constitutional right but necessary in order for the democratic and free country we call home to operate! You will not benefit from censorship if anything from history 101 has taught us it's that. If children and wives are offended by the occasional swear word used among peers in the working world then maybye they should not read the threads they find offensive! Just like trying to censor hate speech WHY that speech only hurts the ones using it by showing their ignorance and intolerence in turn leading to more public disgust at their rhetoric.
LEGALIZE FREEDOM

kenneybros
08-31-2000, 12:26 PM
hey bucktail tell your dog im sorry about using such foul language! it was ***inine of me! I would love to ***ist him in his counceling. I will take him b*** fishing to make up for it.
But really this is pretty rediculus.

bucktail
08-31-2000, 01:00 PM
Case in point dont you powers that be realize that now the thing to do here is to post all types of ***inine words which will be deleted and yet what you have done is promote it by censorship everyone knows what the words mean even with the deleted parts yes children and women also so you have effectively accomplished nothing and in all likely hood have promoted the use of foul language by your censorship.

GrassMaster
08-31-2000, 01:38 PM
Hello Everybody Again:

I wish I did own stock in AOL. It's out of my price range & a little to late now? CICI is a good stock to buy & it's part of our future. Now is a good time to purchase it. It should increase close to 30 times what it is now in the next year or so. Thanks to AOL! One of the leaders in the Internet Industry!!!!!

Any & all people that are so called Professionals know when to use foul language & when not too. That's the one of the many things that makes them a Professional. Mind control is the name of the game. I can play & I play it very well!!!!!

This forum here, I say is no different than being at a customers place working be it residential or commercial if you hit your baby finger while loading tools or equipment in truck would it be Professional to start swearing. NO, will the pain go away faster, NO?

I do not own this forum, so I can't place any demands but I'm the part of the positive side of it & all I will do is drag it up the ladder as I always have. I've been here a very very long time & I know what I'm talking about!

I just voice my opinions & I bet more than a 1,000 of the other members feel close to the same as I do. Most of all the Moderator Eric & the Owner - Administrator Chuck wishes the same? I wish this forum the best & I follow all the rules. Again one more time, "I can Play & I Play it very well!"

I'm not some new kid on the block, I've been around it quite a few times & the Internet is one of my PlayGrounds? I spend about 12 hours a day on it, work comes last because I took care of that a long time ago.

The only thing I have going against me is I'm uneducate & I'm from the South! LOL! When I get enough Educate I learn how to spell my name & not use them thar Stars or ***teriskes or how ever that word is spelled? ROFLMAO

Charles
08-31-2000, 03:06 PM
Bucktail, I like the way you think. Gr***master I agree that aol has done alot of good and I like using it and find it intertaining. For the past year I havent even had any trouble signing on and staying on. Spam has been cut way down. But this country and the internet was founded on freedom of speech. Aol rejects that fact. Aol has intenret police called guides. Who go aound censoring everyone of what THEY find offensive. If aol finds a subject matter in the headline of your email suspicous they will read your email while it is enroute to the recipient. And kick you off if they find it offensive. Now this owuld be like the phone company listening in on your phone calls. Did you see the women in russia who was compaining on tv about the navy and that sub going down? They stuck a needle in her arm and knocked her out to shut her up. Freedom of speech should be protected at all cost. But once you start censoring this you will sooner or later start censoring that. I mean some countries have used the fact that the bible is violent and sexually explicit to ban it. Ban this ban that. Sue this person sue that person. Thats all we here these days from people who are offended about just everything.

geogunn
08-31-2000, 03:23 PM
all of this discussion about the need for the use of offensive language is ridiculous.

obviously people that don't use profanity may wish to view this site. they can be lawn care professionals or not. it doesn't matter. it is not a closed forum!

GEO

RYAN
08-31-2000, 03:37 PM
I didn't know the word gr*** is foul language. Besides if a swear word is the worst thing you see on the internet I would be impressed.

Charles
08-31-2000, 04:07 PM
In a funny(well maybe not so funny) contrast. You people want to ban swear words that kill no one And this is where the ***inine come in. You don't want to even have the least bit of control over GUNs!!!!!!!!. Which to contribute to MANY childrens and a hell of alot of other peoples death. Some of you moralist cant see the moral fact to put saftey locks on guns so kids cant shoot them. Least let people be required to have saftey license and training to own such a deadly weapon. Least have background checks. least ban cop killer bullet. BUT NOOOOO!!!! You moralist worry about some swear words and some titty being shown on tv. Dont matter that we the murder capital of the world. And accidental gun shooting capital of the world. But see you think if a little control is taken over guns then a complete ban will follow later. Well same with free speech. Ban a little here and soon you can't even talk lol. Are yall glad its raining here so I can explain all this to you :) And gr*** master you seem smart even if you are from GA. I think SC people can say that lol

diggerman
08-31-2000, 04:25 PM
I find this sensoring kind of humorous because if you are mentally able to fill in the gaps and come up with what was meant and said right down to the word then tell me what is the point.Does that really serve the purpose,not printing the response would accomplish more,but I am sure that would generate more responses than the current sensoring has. And as for the last response in reguards to gun control I have no fear for guns but rather for those who don't have the moral basis to use them in a way that is acceptable.Blaming the condition of this country on guns is very short sighted,if guns are banned people will find other ways of kill each other.Look at the crime rate in countries that have banned handguns,you might want to find out were they are and plan to vacation elsewhere.

Charles
08-31-2000, 04:35 PM
Digger, reread my post. Did I say I wanted to ban gun anywhere in it? SEEEE thats my point. Children get ahold of guns without safty locks. Thats just like letting a kids in a car with the keys in it. The NRA is against even safety locks. But please before you respond to a post read it carefully. I am not in the least for banning guns. I just don't want insane people and felons and kids to have access to them. We put more restrictions on cars than we do guns. hey listen though I bet if i had a semi automatic rifle with a 20 shot banana clip. I bet i could kill more people faster than you with your knife.
KID-'MOMMY THERE IS A TITTY ON TV' MORALIST MOMMY "SON RUN FOR YOU LIFE!!! DONT LOOOOKK AT THAT FILTHY THING..
kID' MOMMY I FOUND THIS GUN' MORALIST MOMMY'SON DON'T AIM IT AT ME AIM IT AT YOUR DAD OR YOUR SISTER'

[Edited by Charles on 08-31-2000 at 07:43 PM]

GrassMaster
08-31-2000, 05:36 PM
My Fellow Americans:

Sorry I couldn't get back any sooner, all this flag waving, you guys think it's funny. Well between getting hit in the eye with the corner of one of them flags & I would like to know who dropped that M-16 on my mouse finger? Thanks a lot for the E-mails but I'm ok now? You guys are great!!!!!

Please wait on me a few minutes I got a great idea, I'm going to go & count how many curse words there are in the Constitution? Hang on I'll be right back.................

Sorry it took so long, but I read it twice. I think our fore fathers also must be our Peers & they must have been Professionals too. They must have thought of everything & they didn't use foul language either! They did it that way so all could read & not be offended. They smart Leaders!

Try this & see how bad it hurts? I bet you will not feel a thing except you might need a dictionary? LOL

Show some respect for this Great Forum that a lot of different people come to & just don't use foul language! We can learn form others.

Now go wave them flags & count how many you have on your property. I have seven total on my property.

Then think about me I can't even type my name properly because this forum got mixed up with a bunch of folks that thought they were at some place trying to justify why they have to curse to release a little frustration.

Wave those flags just don't hit me in the eye again. LOL, get a life. I think we should change it to the Amercian Internet. Nobody can justify using curse words on this forum. So why try, again no curse words in the Constitution. Force your self to be a professionals.

MOW ED
08-31-2000, 06:58 PM
I'm not advocating this but did anyone try and type in all of the other "BAD" words that we all know to see if they are filtered.
Personally I dont think that there has been a great problem on this forum with "foul" language. There have been tirades and confrontations with less than optimal word choices but for the most part we are self policing.
The danger I see is that if a guy really wants to cause Erics hair to completely come he can by just inserting a space between every letter.
The word a s s in itself can be a donkey or a rear end in the more offensive sence but not being able to type the word gr*** on a lawn cutting forum without gettin the stars is rediculous.
I have 3 girls and I certainly do not WANT them using foul language and they do not read posts on this site frankly because they are more interested in N-Sync or Brittney Spears than this forum.
We are mostly adults here, the Internet is full of sites where kids can find dirty jokes, X-rated pictures and bad things in general. I doubt that they are looking for it at Lawnsite.

JJ Lawn
08-31-2000, 07:29 PM
c**ks****r does not get censored (My stars). But everyone knows what I typed.

Peeing in the bushes makes it. Sorry Phil.

You can't ***** (p-r-i-c-k) your finger here. But you can be a Dick.

You can be here if you like pussy cats. So it must be ok to call someone a cat.

I got a big blow job coming up, what blower would you recommend buying?

This is really stupid. If your gonna censor, do it right, not half-***ed. Or better yet don't do it at all.

Jim

osc
08-31-2000, 08:54 PM
I've never been the censorship type but I think the administrator and moderator have done a great job. If you are worried about your profanity being edited, then you may need a few more lawns to cut.
Besides, you know what happens when you ***ume things, you make an *** out of u and me.

Twotoros
08-31-2000, 09:03 PM
*** **** *** ***** ** **** *. *** **** **** ******* ** ****
****** **** *** ** ****?

Eric ELM
08-31-2000, 09:07 PM
I have no control over this automated censor thing. As I said before, I've seen them all and probably used them all at one time, but not here. After reading about every post on here, I've noticed some feel they need to swear. Do you also have several swear words on your signs on your truck or trailer? How about when you place an ad in the newspaper, yellow pages, fliers, or how ever you advertise? I don't think you would get as much business or respect from others if you did. It's sort of the same thing here, it's more respect than anything. I realize not many women or kids read this, but if they did, I hope they will at least respect Chuck and me for trying to keep this forum clean.

Charles
08-31-2000, 09:20 PM
Eric, my customers dont run my life when I am not working. And if they followed me around like to a bar or on the internet or to my home or in my bedroom with my inflatable pamela anderson doll. I would have them locked up for stalking. lol.I am not getting paid to be on this forum by my customers. So I guess I am not working. The fact is nobody runs my life except me and I do a bad enough job without anyones help. My customers don't own me. I'll r-a-ise hell on my own time and they can kma if they don't like it. Okay so I am 40. i guess raising hell means falling asleep in my recliner at 10pm instead of 9

[Edited by Charles on 09-01-2000 at 12:45 AM]

LoneStarLawn
08-31-2000, 09:39 PM
Sorry to see some of the comments on here Eric. It seems some are starting to bash this forum. I just wanted to let you know ,Eric and Chuck, that most of us do appreciate this site and all that you have done for it. Thank You

JJ Lawn
08-31-2000, 09:48 PM
Hmmmmmm... hear music in the background. Why its the Salvation Army band.

Eric, I'm not complaining about not being able to use profanity, in fact I very seldom use it. My last post was to show you how stupid it is to block out gr*** and let some of the other words that is true profanity go uncensored.

You all have the right to do whatever you want with this forum. But do it right or don't do it at all.
In my opinion, you will in the long run drive more folks away with this censorship than you will attract.

Kids arn't really likely to read this forum, and if they do they hear worse in school. And, they arn't the ones that will buy equipment from your sponsors.

Jim

wompy
08-31-2000, 10:18 PM
You guys have to be kidding me . You cant have a normal conversation with out gutter talk. grow up. this just shows the type of buissness men you are. you know what they say about the usa LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT. i think the same applys here. WOULD YOU TAKE A HEART TRANSPLANT FROM THE LOWEST BIDDER..............................................

[Edited by wompy on 09-01-2000 at 01:21 AM]

KirbysLawn
08-31-2000, 10:36 PM
Didn't know this was going to stir up such a fuss! I find it amazing that a post such as this gets over 9% post/view ratio, and a post about other subjects such as soil testing, aeration techniques only get 5% or less response.

If Chuck sees fit to censor the profanity on this site, that's his choice. I totally agree with Eric's post. There are some things that go on that we do not see, and post that are made that we all don't see. Since the time I've joined this site Stone continually makes direct and indirect comments about me, my truck, and trailer, I'm sure he's made one today. I even get emails asking me what Stone has against me, I don't know? Maybe Stone will soon quit quoting everyone and start sharing his knowledge with us. > Kirby says:...........Look familiar?????

Richard2 seems to think he needs to make jokes about my training, Home Depot (??), Lesco, and whatever other useless statement he feels necessary, never really "giving" to the forum.

There are some here that wish to learn & share in a friendly, reasonable, and mature manner. Don't agree???? Maybe you didn't see the post made from someone in PA making defamatory, har***ing, and false statements about me while impersonating someone who "knew" me and lived in Charlotte. Maybe you didn't see the very next post making accusations that I fondle young boys while at work at MEDIC, and worse!

I understand and agree with Chuck, maybe you would feel the same if you signed on one day and saw such comments about you being made by a spineless coward, hiding behind a fake screen name.

Unfortunately, a few here give, a few give rebuttal or encouragement, and MANY just look...lurking.....never giving encouragement, input, thanks, or just let the others know they learned something new. For those of you that lurk behind the scenes, how about registering, give input, be it positive or negative. Let the people who try to help know you are getting something from this forum, you never know, they may give up a quit trying. And no, I'm not talking about me, I did some searching the other night and found several post from people who had had enough of people making stupid comments to valid post, being har***ed, and quit the forum, a loss to us all.

Maybe everyone needs to read the agreement you ok'ed when you first signed up:

Conduct & Appropriate Use
You agree to use LawnSite.com for lawful purposes only. You may not use LawnSite.com to:

Transmit any content that is abusive, vulgar, obscene, hateful, fraudulent, unlawful, threatening, har***ing, or defamatory;

Post or transmit any matter that you do not have a right to transmit under law (such as copyright) or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (as in nondisclosure agreements);

Har*** or threaten any user of or the site or other entity, or any individual;

Post, transmit, promote, link to, or facilitate the distribution of sexually explicit content;

Impersonate any person or entity, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;

Post or transmit, or cause to be posted or transmitted, chain letters or pyramid schemes;

Post or transmit, or cause to be posted or transmitted, any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, or other forms of solicitation;

Intentionally violate any applicable local, state, national, international or foreign law.

Don't agree with me? That's ok just disagree in a nice manner. :)

Ray

PS: I see a lot of *********'s above, if they are real words please consider editing your post, if the edit feature is turned off I would hate to see what was there.

Administrator
08-31-2000, 11:03 PM
The auto check was a typo!!! I was checking out admin options last night and my computer crashed and forgot to go back and edit it.

I was not online all day today or this would have been fixed!

I did not read all the posts in this discussion but a few of them almost made me sick. I am literally draining my savings and hours upon hours on this site and a few of you turn at the drop of a hat!

GIVE ME A BREAK!!!.. I am closing this discussion now.