PDA

View Full Version : shady ground

lawn perfection
03-12-2003, 04:04 PM
Can anyone tell me what the best grass seed for a yard that has litte to no sun. I live in middle tennessee (Nashville area).
Would appreciate any help.
Thanks Duke.

Mike Bradbury
03-12-2003, 05:05 PM
need to look at alternatives.

lawn perfection
03-12-2003, 10:24 PM
Mike,
What would be the best for this area(any grass). Hey it is a small backyard,I guess worst case we could pour concrete and paint it green.LOL

plowboy81
03-12-2003, 10:34 PM
The best seed is going to be Rebel. Whether you buy rebel I,II,or III, there is absolutely no difference. It will grow good in shade and or sun.

lawn perfection
03-13-2003, 02:37 PM
What type of seed (fescue, rye etc.) Any more info would be helpful.

ParkerLawn
03-13-2003, 09:33 PM
I am out of Bowling Green, KY and we have the same climate conditions as you in Nashville. I have had great luck with using a Creeping Red Fescue seed of high caliber. Rebel is good, Golden Eagle or Lesco seed has been what I am using most. Not to mention it is a much beter price compared to the others. i have gone in and had customers tell me they have tried everyhting and I aerate and powerseed with the Creeping Red Fescue and they have been amazed at the results.

UTM-PIKE
03-13-2003, 09:45 PM
There are new varieties out on the market that were bred just for shade. One of them is Texas Bluegrass (two names that dont usually go together). I heard one of the proffessors at the University of Tennessee talking about it. Try to find more information. I go to Tennessee/Martin and my proffessors like a mix with creeping red and bluegrass and other shade tollerant varieties. I operate my business out of Clarksville and some species grow better here than in Martin. Its hard to grow bluegrass below Paris for the weather. To find the best mix, ask your local extension agent for your area. If your in the Nashville area, a mix with blue should be fine. I feel you should customize your mix for your area. Lesco, etc customizes a mix for an entire zone. It will work, but I think certain %'s of certain grasses should be higher/lower depending on where you live. You could probably just add to the mixes on the market.

lawn perfection
03-13-2003, 10:46 PM
Thanks guys for all the helpful info.I will try some of these and let you know how it turns out.
Duke W.

Mike Bradbury
03-13-2003, 11:02 PM
how long will it live with no direct sunlight?

paul
03-13-2003, 11:08 PM
Mike you are right no such beast that grows with little or no sunlight.

ParkerLawn
03-13-2003, 11:19 PM
You are right, if there is absolutely no sun it won't make it a season, but most people understate the conditions or overstate the conditions. My method I use is for places that are at 75% shade which is little sunlight but enough to keep a nice stand of grass. It is hard to post because there is never enough detailed info but any experiences I have had I like to share in case you are experiencing the same conditions. It never hurts to post a positive experience because it may not be just the person posting who needs info but alot of others who read to see if it can help them as well. Just trying to be of assistance and help out if I can. This is truly a great business to be in, how many other businesses have as many willling people to share their secrets of success.

NCSULandscaper
03-14-2003, 12:05 AM
Confederate Blend Tall Fescue works in full shade well. Should be available in your area.

UTM-PIKE
03-14-2003, 09:20 PM
I do not know that much about "texas bluegrass", or what the percentage of sunlight it needs to thrive. Probably some, as most of you have commented, but its supposed to be the best thing out their, and I think it would be worth a try to find out. I will call UT Knoxville monday if I can and speak with the turf proffessor. He can probably shed more light on this subject than most.

timturf
03-18-2003, 03:54 PM
If it gets no sun, forget planting turf!!
Fine fescues, hard, chewing, creeping red fescue all due better than any tall fescue!! If moist site, might want to consider poa trivilas.

Again turf need several hours of sun when air temp below 85 degrees to grow. Even then, only marginal success

jkelton
03-18-2003, 06:40 PM
Lawn Perfection,
I am in your area and I am fixing to try out a blend from Turner Seed in Lavergne. This blend has poa trivilas, creeping red, and chewings fescue. For this turf area, I will be blowing a high quality compost on the turf and injecting the seed into the compost as it is blown in. I hope to obtain some good results from this. I have scheduled it for next week, so hopefully I'm not too late. Luckily, the customer has an irrigation system. It is in the Brentwood area off of Concord Rd - if you like, I can give you the address after the job is completed.

greenman
03-18-2003, 11:38 PM
My suggestion is to forget planting turf, and go with a ground cover, such as an Ivy or Jasmine.

paponte
03-19-2003, 09:15 AM
Creeping red fescue is your best bet. If that doen't take, I don't believe anything will. :cool: