PDA

View Full Version : Headset radios while working

SJR Lawncare
08-30-2000, 11:34 PM
There was some discussion in an earlier post about using Walkman type radios while working. For me it is a must, I can't work all day W/O entertainment. My entertainment is Howard Stern from 6-11, then G-Gordon Liddy from 11-3, then don & Mike from 3-7. Unfortunatly, here in the Baltimore area these programs are only on AM radio. The reception is fine while I'm cruising on my mower, but when I start my trimmer & BP blower, it's STATIC CITY. Does anyone know of some kind of filter or something, or would 4 cycle eliminate this interference??
THANKS<
SJR

geogunn
08-30-2000, 11:37 PM
and I thought I was radical listening to RUSH!

GEO

bob
08-30-2000, 11:55 PM
I need to get a radio headset. I listen to Howard in the morning and don't want to get out of the truck!

RYAN
08-31-2000, 01:31 AM
I need my walkman to get me through a long day all by myself. I don't listen to the radio that much though. I have about 5 tapes I listen to instead. Goes through battaries faster but it can be instant motivation.

jaclawn
08-31-2000, 07:16 AM
Put a resister type plug in the 2 cycle equipment to reduce static.

Stinger
08-31-2000, 12:00 PM
We use the Husqvarna hearing protector, AM/FM style headset radios. Kind of expensive at around $120 but they have no static and have held up to 2yrs of total hell with me.

Lawnworks
08-31-2000, 10:11 PM
How do you guys listen to Howard Stern? That guy has only one thing on his mind. If its AM its Rush!!!

Rick
LawnWorks

steveair
09-01-2000, 12:22 AM
Hello,

Got a set of the elvex fm and get great reception. Get a little bit of static while running blowers/trimmers, but none while on ther mowers.

As for there construction, I will say this:

I've had them for about 2 months and don't know if they are gonna last too long.

For anyone who has them and has dropped them, you will know what I mean. When they hit the ground, they fall apart. I mean FALL APART. I was mowing the other day and a branch knocked them off my head. When they hit the ground, I swear every single piece fell apart. Took me 10 mins to find all the pieces and another 10 to put them back together.........

Also, ever look inside of those things after a few months? Rust city. Sweat just soaks in and rots the hell out the guts.

Whether they are a good idea or not, I don't know. I think if you are a one/two man operation, they they are great. Working all day by yourself will drive you cooky without something to keep your mind off things.

However, I found a problem in that my hired help seems to think they can wear them too. I couldn't say no at first, because I wear them too. But, one day one of my guys was trimming and starting cutting down all of my planted Iris's, so I had to start screeming. Sure enough, he couldn't hear a thing. Had to throw a rock at him.

It was a good shot. Right in the back, but almost too late.

Also, even worse, if you have any of these young laborers, they're walking around all day singing songs. I don't know about you, but the last thing I want is my men standing next to the picture window of a house singing "my name is, my name is, slim shady' while poor Mrs. smith is trying to read her newspaper.

Keep them to yourself and they're fine. Let your workers wear them and you will regret it..........

steveair

[Edited by steveair on 09-01-2000 at 03:26 AM]

Eric ELM
09-01-2000, 12:36 AM
The Peltor's are constructed very well. I've had mine I think, this is the 4th season on them. They have been dropped, rained on, you name it and they still work fine. I just wish they had digital tuning, because they can drift off of a weak signal.

chrisbolte
09-11-2000, 01:00 AM
what is the best price you can find for headphones and where did you buy it

Eric ELM
09-11-2000, 09:57 AM
Northern Tools has Yardman stereo head phones for $39.99 and they also have them with FM built in on sale from $99.99 down to $49.99. http://www.northerntool.com item # 171936-C151

Firebrand
09-11-2000, 11:46 AM
I am a big Don and Mike fan, and sometimes I have a hard time getting out of the truck. I have seen the elvex headsets in catalogs, but where can I find peltors or husqvarna am/fm headsets. Those are the ones that sound like they will last. Also, how well do they block out the equipment sound and still let you hear the radio?

Kevin
09-11-2000, 04:37 PM
Have the elvex relax model, can't live without them. Geo; Speaking of Rush, seeing them in concert is awesome!

Eric ELM
09-11-2000, 04:50 PM
The Peltor's block out enough noise on my diesel Chopper so that you can listen to FM music at a low volume. It think the ones in Northern are advertised at blocking out 85% of the noise. I can listen to music with the EB6200 straped on my back also. :)

eslawns
09-12-2000, 02:43 AM
I saw this one and went "Duh! Why didn't I think of that?" Got a new Aiwa with digital tuner, and a set of Koss headphones with lots of padding to hear over the mower. Makes the day go by lots better. Thanks guys!

BRL
09-12-2000, 12:13 PM
Kevin,
That was funny! And you're right.
Eric,
You talked about how great the Peltors are but you told us how to get the Yardman ones. Where can we get the Peltors? Or, are they one in the same? Thanks!

Eric ELM
09-12-2000, 08:34 PM
I got my Peltor FM hearing protectors at my dealer. I think they were about $140. Here is the URL for Peltor so you can get them. http://www.peltor.com/html/products/peltor/peltor04.htm

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
09-12-2000, 08:44 PM
The peltors are nice headsets, a little pricey but when I mowing for 2-3 hours straight u need some entertainment so i dont fall asleep drive my Dixie into a oncoming traffic or something. I also give a set to my employees it keeps them motivated and for the newcomers it relaxes them so they dont get nevrious with a whip and end up scalping turf.

BRL
09-13-2000, 01:35 PM
Thanks Eric!!

steveair
09-13-2000, 07:32 PM
Ok,

I posted before how I was concerned about the elvex's construction.....well, I take that back now.

While mowing a fence line with our john deere 970, A branch hit my head, and before I realized it, they and my hat were falling off the tractor right in front of the rear wheel.

Before I hit the breaks and disengaged the clutch, I was luckily able to stop them from going under the rear deck but, they fell directly in front of the tire and I ran those suckers right over.

To my surprise, they still worked! Just had to snap them back together, and I was on my way. Talk about tough.

As for the ball cap I was also wearing, thats another story...........

steveair

KirbysLawn
09-14-2000, 10:37 PM
I have the Lesco model #28079, each ear phone looks like a mower, turn a tire to tune in or adjust the volume. :D

northeast
09-15-2000, 09:22 AM
I got mine at radioshack for 39 bucks.They work great.
The pair I bought has a bass boost. Radio Shacks prices went from $19---- $49 . I would recomend the ear muff type.
Nick

Firebrand
09-15-2000, 10:40 AM
Eric,
I looked at the Peltor's on their web site. I think they are just FM, they don't describe them as AM/FM. That would not be good for me because I am a big talk radio nut. I would definately have to listen to Don & Mike if I had a headset. Are they AM/FM or just FM?

Samurai WeedWacker
09-15-2000, 12:07 PM
A law student working for me this past Summer liked to listen to Rush on headphones while mowing. He couldn't seem to pay sufficient attention to what he was doing, ran over stuff which no one should run over. I won't be allowing headphones in the future.

Eric ELM
09-15-2000, 03:36 PM
The Peltors are just FM. I've asked this before, but no answer, does anyone know of a digital tuning set of ear muff radios?

bob
09-15-2000, 06:00 PM
Eric, I have a Conney safety catalog that has them. They are Peltor's. It says "Radio offers stereo sound with digital searching and storage of pre-selected stations". Their web site stinks (Conney.com)Phone # 1-800- 356-9100.
Price is $238.23

Stinger
09-15-2000, 07:55 PM
Eric, my Husky brand are made by Sordin in Sweden. You push a < or > button on the exterior of the earpiece and it automatically seeks the station for you. If signal is week it will advance and find the next clearest station. Is that what you mean by digital tuning?

[Edited by Stinger on 09-15-2000 at 11:00 PM]

Eric ELM
09-15-2000, 08:10 PM
Thanks Bob for that information, they are pricey :mad:

Yes Stinger, that is what I'm looking for. The ones I have use a knob to select stations and it will drift off of the station or if I go under a tree the knob can get bumped and then I'm off the station I listen to. Is this one AM and FM and how much do they cost? Do you have a URL for this brand? Thanks in advance.

Stinger
09-16-2000, 10:47 AM
Eric, There FM only with 82dB(A) output limit for hearing protection. Also has a low current consumption and auto shut off. I purchased mine through my dad's store for $120 cost when he was a Husqvarna dealer. The part # is 505 66 53-75 if you decide to go that route. Hope this is of some help, good luck.

Samurai WeedWacker
09-17-2000, 12:27 PM
I would prefer that my help & I be as aware of what is going on around them as possible. Picking up on abnormal equipment noise is particularly important. The sooner a malfunction is noticed, the better. Headphones are a hindrance in this respect.
It's all in the mind, my friends. I can get a lot of thinking done while I am mowing, and so could you. I do just about all of my business-related planning while mowing, as well as composing poetry and planning leisure activities.

In Summer I be haulin' grass.
In Winter I'm in the leisure class.
Work should snow accumulate,
otherwise absquatulate
to the ski area with my season pass.

BRL
09-18-2000, 12:31 AM
Samurai,
Keep the day job, or get a radio. :)

AB Lawn Care
09-18-2000, 11:23 PM
I think I would be inclined not to wear radio headsets.Knowing me I would have my walker wrapped around an oak tree in about 3 days!:-)

jrblawncare
09-19-2000, 06:54 AM
Samurai has made some good points on the Disadvantages of Headphones..AB I'm with you...I guess I'm just becoming an "Old Fart" Give Me a good set of safety ear plugs and save the tunes for the truck.

bob
09-19-2000, 10:55 AM
Ok, here's another reason you need radio-headphones. Lets say the last song that you heard on your truck radio was a horrible one. You know that songs going to be playing over and over in your head. And the only way to get rid of it is with another song that you like!

lawrence stone
09-19-2000, 11:33 AM
I see and hear dead people.

Pizpoppa
09-19-2000, 11:23 PM
I think headphones are good and all, but personally i find i do most of my deep thinking when i am mowing the lawn, and basically, i create my own music by singing or humming something.

KirbysLawn
10-03-2000, 12:53 AM
Well, ya'll cost me more money! Bought the Peltor FM headset today at Grainger, here is the link. Nope, I did not pay $277, a friend got them for me <$200 :D

http://www.grainger.com/DataImages/gif/gif1/4yz61.gif

http://www.grainger.com/cgi-bin/item_detail?241514Y4yz61

TLS
10-03-2000, 11:50 AM
I like the ELVEX Relax, however I am concerned with the station drift also, Eric. They do seem to attract tree branches though! Ive had mine fly off and bounce off my engine and hit the ground and break! They do go back together quickly though. I would also like to recieve AM as that is were the good news radio station KYW-1060 is with weather reports very frequently. Very important when weather men can't predict but an hour before rain! The digital tuner would be great too. Somebody's gonna make a fortune making one of these. Now I walk around with white racoon eyes (sunglasses) and white ears (ELVEX) Kinda look funny when all the rest of me is tan! Sure beats the ears ringing with the hum of 3700 RPMS of a 6 bladed DIXIE CHOPPER! LOUD

Vibe Ray
10-04-2000, 12:05 AM
The Titanium headphones by Optimus sound really nice and are only $20.00...You can find them at any Radion Shack. I just bought some tonight.

TLS
10-04-2000, 12:13 AM
Yeah, but are they rated for hearing protection? I can put my ELVEX's on without the radio on, and am unable to have a conversation in a quiet room. I had a pair of optimus, but they didn't stop the CHOP per noises.!!

rats5656
10-04-2000, 03:52 AM
hey

KirbysLawn
how y0ou get them for 200 help me get for that price $