PDA

View Full Version : Was this worth the hassle????

Jon99
03-13-2003, 10:00 AM
I drove thru a subdivision of 60 $400K plus home on 1-3 acre lots, wrote down the addy's and sent them a flyer and a business card thru the mail... Postage, envelope, flyer plus about 2 hours of time, total cost was about $30.. Worth it???

walker-talker
03-13-2003, 10:15 AM
If you get no calls.....I would say it was not worth it. If you get one call I would say it was worth it. You never know unless you try......I think this was worth 2 hours of your time and $30....not much to lose.

MATT

drobson
03-13-2003, 10:18 AM
If they are all desireable accounts then 50 cents a piece is well worth it. Considering using direct mail would only give you a percentage of the potential customers being desireable. Plus if you land more than one account in the area, it will be a time saver due to the closeness of the properties to each other.

Tidycut
03-13-2003, 10:31 AM
I think it was well worth it. Last year I did something similar, copied and pasted from the county’s property appraisers web site. Although I only sent postcards (about $17 total cost) to about 65 homes, the one customer I got from that mailing was worth it.

I also think this is a classier way to advertise, especially if the advertisement is uniquely designed for a specific target area. I don’t care for knocking on doors, cold calling or flyers hanging on doors. Not to say I wouldn’t consider doing any of those things, I just like the mailing idea better. Good luck.

Rick

Jon99
03-13-2003, 11:01 AM
I really don't think there is a home in the subdivision that I would do for less than $40, if I get one account I am tickled.. Plus peple that live in large and expensive homes probably tend to have commercial property that need mowing... We shall see !

Hawkeye5
03-13-2003, 01:49 PM
Some times people that live in large, expensive homes don't have any cash because they are paying for the large, expensive home and the Lexus in the drive.

socty
03-13-2003, 02:02 PM
Hawkey got it right! I have a customer in a new 450k home, and they regularly "lose" the bill. They have never paid me in a timely fashion. But at least they do eventually pay.

philk17088
03-13-2003, 02:06 PM
Boy, aint that the truth!
My worst problems with slow payers is those type of customers.
Best ones are the little old ladies and other seniors who have the check made out before I'm done with the service.

rodfather
03-13-2003, 02:08 PM
Sure it's worth it...what the hell else you gonna do this time of the year??? It isn't like you're a week behind on mowing and trying to catch up...LOL

socty
03-13-2003, 02:24 PM
Phil's right! The seniors almost always pay the same day, and the boomers often make us beg (I ought to know...I'm a boomer too). And it is true...what the hell else are you gonna do with ice on the lawns and no end in sight? Get out there and put your best face forward. Good luck!

dougaustreim
03-13-2003, 02:56 PM
We have had quite good luck over the years with targeted first class mailings. When people get a first class letter in an envelope with printed return, they will open and read. Flyers or anything that looks like advertising will get thrown away without being looked at.

Takes more time and money per peice, but the results are usually quite a bit higher.

Doug
Austreim Landscaping

Mueller Landscape Inc
03-13-2003, 11:21 PM
Worth it? I would say that you have the beginnings of a database that you can mail advertisements out on a regular basis.