PDA

View Full Version : lookin' good..

ToG
03-13-2003, 04:22 PM
went out today to hang doorknobs and everywhere we went we found that another guy had already been there, putting flyers in newspaper boxes. he was advertising that the average 9,000 square foot lawn only costs $20 to mow, and $58 to areate. seems like some stiff competition, that's ok with me 'cause everywhere we went it seems like his flyers were blown around and laying in puddles in front of the home owners driveways, bleeding ink. instead of leaving them lay on the ground (which would of made him look bad), i decided to pick them up as i walked which made me look good. quite a few people saw me doing this, so i feel it was good PR. BTW, this was my first time running doorknob hangers, felt kind of strange at first but got a little easier as the day went on. we only got about 300 out and had to stop due to some very cold rain, there's alway tommorow....

philk17088
03-13-2003, 04:39 PM
Yeah, I went to do some this p.m. and it started to rain. I'm ready to do some hiking and get more customers!

What part of central PA?

ToG
03-13-2003, 04:50 PM
the heart of happy valley. state college. i'm in bellefonte, but will be primarily serving s.college/boalsburg areas.

Mykster
03-13-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by ToG
everywhere we went it seems like his flyers were blown around and laying in puddles in front of the home owners driveways, bleeding ink.

instead of leaving them lay on the ground (which would of made him look bad), i decided to pick them up as i walked which made me look good.

To me that says something about your professionalism as well as being a good person. Too bad the other LCO doesn't know what you did for him.

Jon99
03-13-2003, 10:20 PM
I am glad I am not the only one that feels funny hanging stuff from peoples doors, this is my first time and I was scared to death I was going to have some irate person complaining that they wanted me off their property!!!!

Casey
03-13-2003, 10:24 PM
Well they can't eat you and if they have that type of attitude just apologize and walk away, not a time to argue about your "rights" to advertise.

philk17088
03-13-2003, 10:31 PM
It usually takes me an hour or so to shake the heebie jeebies of door hanging but to be honest nobody ever complained. In my neighborhood last summer there was a guy walking around on the nicest Saturday in the spring when everybody was outside, passing out flyers on replacement windows, he wasn't with a chain outfit, just an independent. When he stopped at my yard I asked him if he was getting any flack for approaching people in their yards. He said people are nicer to him on a nice saturday than during the week and he ge ts better responses. His outlook was different from mine, I see it as a nessacary evil, he actually enjoyed it.

I guess your attitude is everything.

GraZZmaZter
03-14-2003, 12:23 AM
I have never hung flyers from doors. I just put them in newspaper boxes or on the side of the mailboxs. It seems like this would take wayyyyyyy too much time going from door to door.

millerjjr
03-15-2003, 10:21 AM
It does take up ALOT of time but you have an opportunity to meet people face-to-face and answer any questions they may have and you can "sell yourself" to them. Whereas, fliers mailboxes they are clueless as to who you actually are.

GraZZmaZter
03-15-2003, 11:58 AM
Miller

I see your point. Maybe ill give it a try this spring when the weather heats up a bit. I honestly cant knock it until i try it.

dougaustreim
03-15-2003, 01:35 PM
Just remember that hanging them on the sides of the mailboxes is a federal violation. You could hung for postage for everyone of them as well as fined.

Doug
Austreim Landscaping

millerjjr
03-15-2003, 10:43 PM
Hey Grazz, Something I was thinking about that you might want to try is doing both, as for the people that you speak with going door-to-door, ensure they get a flier after a coupe of weeks, whether it's on the newspaper box or even direct mail. I guaruntee once they begin to know your name and the services you provide even if they don't become a client of yours they could be great for referrals.Just a thought

adrianvbarrera
03-25-2003, 03:40 PM
Along time ago when i use to do the flyer distribution myself...I would go really early in the morning like 6 or whatever time there enough light. Everyone was asleep or busy getting ready but no bothered me.

I would hit apartments because the drop off rate was so high.....400-500 an hour.

Adrian

GraZZmaZter
03-26-2003, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the advice Miller. I will keep that in mind

adrian

Why would you drop flyers off at apartments????? Them 400-500 people you would drop them off to ALL have ONE lawn?!?!?!?!?

Or am i missing something REALLY obvious here?????

adrianvbarrera
03-26-2003, 12:10 PM
Sorry.

I forgot to mention, the flyers were for another business not related to lawn service.

That would be pretty Fukk3d up if I was trying to sell lawn service to apartment dwellers. :)
or a heck of a salesman.

Adrian

Gr grass n Hi tides
03-27-2003, 07:50 PM
I'm with Miller.

Going door to door with hangers is a great way to get your business and yourself out there. We go with the truck and loaded trailer, wear the company hats and polos, and the hangers are professionally done. I know from reactions I get that it makes for a nice presentation. I welcome the opportunity to talk with somebody. It doesn't get any better than that. People appreciate the honesty and like putting a face with the print.

Personal touch is how you set yourself apart.