PDA

View Full Version : Stone Walls

Keni
03-13-2003, 08:46 PM
Hello, Was wondering if anyone does any stone work. Most of my buisness recently seems to be stone walls, Stone retaining walls etc... Looking to see what other companys are charging for walls. I here a lot about Sq. footage prices. I dont charge by the foot as all walls are unique in what needs to be done like footings, stone cost, permits etc... Thanks

Qualey
03-13-2003, 10:03 PM
Most of our work is granite/dry stacked stone and other precast retaining walls. Lots of steps last year too for some reason.

jlmac
03-14-2003, 09:58 AM
Pricing strickly depends upon the circumstances of the job and stone selected. I do walls anywhere from $40 to $100 per face foot/lineal foot.

Some of my stone I can get for $50 per ton and some of it is only available on pallets for $200 per ton or more. I also only bid on high end walls because we don't do walls exclusively and its hard to complete with companies that only do stone work. Im not about to break my back for $25 per lf.

Keni
03-14-2003, 01:43 PM
jlmac I think that a fair price depending on stone cost etc.. I was curious because I see these people charging 25 per ft and I cant belive it worth the effort. I know I couldnt afford to build them for that pice.

Qualey
03-14-2003, 02:40 PM
I feel it is impractical to bid walls, especially dry stacked, at a set per foot price. Far too many variables such as quality of material, subgrade difficulty, storage, delivery space, machinery use, etc. We do all ours at time plus materials. Like you said, too much work to do for nothing!!

Matt

jlmac
03-14-2003, 03:15 PM
Qualey; it may be impracticle to bid walls but the fact is most contractors do bid walls so you would be in a minority and customers would much rather go with a set price than an open ended price. It would put you at a disadvantage with your competition.

Qualey
03-14-2003, 06:25 PM
jlmac

I see your point, but I don't have this problem. I would rather be in the position I'm in than win a bid, then run into possible issues that force me to A. increase the price, or B. lose money. We certainly provide estimates, but our customers all acknowledge, and sign a form, stating that it is an estimate and is subject to change.

Matt

jlmac
03-14-2003, 10:56 PM
Qualey, I tend to agree with you and approach all my specialty work in that manner, you know, the high end stuff. Offer superior service and workmanship and your reputation proceeds you. I just find it hard to approach every customer with time and materials proposals when they are usually asking for bids.