PDA

View Full Version : Hourly vs. Per Property

Lawnscaping
03-13-2003, 11:33 PM
We're starting out and hiring an employee, hewill be our employee, but basically a contractor as he will be going out on his own for jobs.

He will be strictly doing the weekly lawn maintenance for these houses. No landscaping, maybe later with experience.

The question is, should we pay him hourly or per job?? Will his motivation be higher for one or the other??? we don't want him quiting half way through. We plan on giving him (and our customers) some baseball tickets (fairly cheap in packages), and treating him great!

So Hourly or Per Property

Thanks!

George777
03-14-2003, 09:37 PM
Were I live we must pay when the employee arrives at the shop. I must also pay him by the hour. I don't think the employee would be to fired up to only get paid by the job.

MacLawnCo
03-14-2003, 09:52 PM
if hes your employee, he is not a contractor. Here is a search for this info, it has been thouroughly discussed : http://lawnsite.com/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=18342&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

the third one, by Jim Lewis is what i am talking about.

BZS MAN
08-11-2006, 10:22 PM
I've dealt with many employees and have found out that you can hire a person and treat them as a subcontractor under you...with this they must fill out a w9, understand that you are not withholding taxes and you will not be carrying workerscomp. They, in other words must know they are a subcontractor and not really an employee, even though they have to obide by your rules. In this case i usually come to an agreement of a set dollar amount per week if all my accounts are completed with no serious complaints. If they are not completed or i have complaints i dock that set dollar amount accordingly.

Good Luck.

scagwildcat
08-11-2006, 11:24 PM
sounds like you want to hire a sub! if he has his own insurance, pays taxes, the works, how will you make money off of him?? i would hire some one, pay workers comp, insurance, pay him or her well, talk to them like they are your friend and not your slave and they will be willing to work hard for you,, sometimes its not just how much you pay a person, its also how you treat them !!!

scagwildcat
08-11-2006, 11:29 PM
I've dealt with many employees and have found out that you can hire a person and treat them as a subcontractor under you...with this they must fill out a w9, understand that you are not withholding taxes and you will not be carrying workerscomp. They, in other words must know they are a subcontractor and not really an employee, even though they have to obide by your rules. In this case i usually come to an agreement of a set dollar amount per week if all my accounts are completed with no serious complaints. If they are not completed or i have complaints i dock that set dollar amount accordingly.

Good Luck.
yes you can do that i agree, but if somthing goes wrong, you have to cover it... a sub needs to have their own insurance/tax id # !!! or they are not a sub, they are just a under the table worker!!!

BZS MAN
08-12-2006, 10:53 PM
Right on. I totally agree there is the right way and the wrong way, i also agree regardless how you go about this, treating this person with respect and dignity will in return get you a trustworthy employee/sub.