PDA

View Full Version : Bidding Mulch around alot of trees/shrubs?

mklawnman
03-14-2003, 12:08 PM
I am working on a lawn care bid for the season at a industrial place, and included in the lawn care bid they want an estimate for mulching. Now the question I have is, their are no landscape beds, its more like trees and also spruce trees everywhere with some mulch put around them. Now do I walk around every tree to find the diameter or should I just guess 3ft round or 4ft round and do the math as to how much mulch to put down around each tree then add that up to the total amount of mulch needed or what?
Their might be one landscape bed that I can measure up but the rest is mostly trees with some mulch around them. Id think one load from a wheelbarrow would be plenty around each tree. Which holds 6 Cubic feet.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Matt

turfcare
03-14-2003, 05:43 PM
I use this calculator.
www.silentthunder1.com/mulchcalculator.html (http://www.silentthunder1.com/mulchcalculator)

turfcare
03-14-2003, 05:55 PM
Well that does not seem to be working. Do a search for a mulch calculator. That is where I found this one. It does tree circles.

mklawnman
03-14-2003, 10:32 PM
Yeah I know what your talking about I've seen that calculator on here already. Just thought about asking if the best way to go at this is to count how many trees they have and estimate how much mulch i would need using the calculator.
Thanks
Matt

paponte
03-14-2003, 11:02 PM
Jobs like that I usually just eye up and figure how much i would need. It's not like your going to be off by yards and risk losing money. :D

mklawnman
03-16-2003, 11:04 PM
Well today we went over to the place I'm bidding on for the lawn care bid and well after taking some measurements and estimating, went to that mulch calculator website and put the numbers in. And what I found was a shock but makes sense, told me that it is going to require 123yrds of mulch at 2inch depth. Their is some mulch already down around the trees and shrubs but its been a few years since it was done. The next question is do I truck it in myself, which the truck I'm buying holds they tell me 8yrds of mulch cause its a flat bed with sides 10x8ft or something like that. Maybe 8yrds is pushing it for a HD3500 GMC, otherwise I could just get it delivered, save me time and probley the truck too. Cost is the one thing I'm a bit worried about cause its gonna be around $23/yd then delivery, unless they can give me a business discount but who knows.
Just alittle worried that my mulching bid could be a bit high compared to the other companies but I'm in the learning experiance so we will see.
Matt

mklawnman
03-16-2003, 11:08 PM
The flatbed is 10x8 I meant, the sides are right now like 2ft high so I was planning on making them at least 3ft high. Starting to think this job would be a bit much for using my dumper and the wear and tear i would put on it, maybe better off having them deliver it to the site and then we can move it to where it needs to go.
Matt

Lanelle
03-17-2003, 02:23 AM
That is more than a tractor-trailer load. You should be able to buy directly from a mulch producer for less money. Have them drop it at the job site. You will probably still want to have a skid steer on hand to move it around.

mklawnman
03-17-2003, 01:19 PM
CORRECTION
Well that Mulch Calculator is either wrong or I typed the wrong numbers in it, cause we did the math on paper this morning and well all I need is about 17yrds of Mulch, which is about two trips for my truck. So I'm very relieved. I'm going to try that Mulch Calculator again to see if I did something wrong or what.
Now its going to be alot easier to handle with my truck.
Matt

Mike Bradbury
03-18-2003, 12:43 AM
with a 1 ton. 4 yds max.

mklawnman
03-18-2003, 02:38 PM
Nah, the guy who I'm buying the truck from says with higher sides they've gotten as much as 6-7yrds of mulch on the truck. I also have a 6x12ft trailer single axle and we can easily haul 4yds with 2ft sides on it.
I think the HD 3500 is closer to a F450? cause this is a straight front axle.
Matt

Harleyman
03-19-2003, 06:28 PM
i get a total of 10 yards in my 1 ton Dodge. Its a push but we do it. Big Racks i mean big!

Mike Bradbury
03-19-2003, 06:31 PM
I was refering to weight limits, not how high you can pile it.

Harleyman
03-19-2003, 09:24 PM
extra springs, extra springs and change the weight on your truck.