PDA

View Full Version : Missing Employee?

CNYScapes
03-14-2003, 03:45 PM
:dizzy: I have an employee that has been with me for 3 years, but every couple of months he just does not show up for a day or two. No phone call or nothing. I know most employers would just get rid of him, but most of the time he works his but off. I send him out by himself and he cuts $500 woth of grass by himself. I need input on whether I should let him come back again this summer, or should I just look for someone else. What do you guys think?

kickin sum grass
03-14-2003, 06:12 PM
Have a talk with him first and document everything that is said. Tell him this is not acceptable behavior. Tell hime the rules and guidlines as to what you expect from an employee and the policy for calling in, sick days, vacation days etc. You should put that in writing and have him sign it. If he wants a day off he needs to let you know how ever many days you decided ahead of time. If he can not follow company policy than you need to get rid of him. Even though he works hard when he is there, he is costing you money when he is not. So it may average out. I would rather have a n average employee that is dependable. When he doesn't show up, it makes you look bad.

devildog
03-15-2003, 06:38 AM
This is a hard call. Seems like you want to keep him..... Try and get to the bottom of problem. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush. ALL employees bring "baggage" with them. Some of the problems are easier to deal with than others. If he gives you 100% every day, week after week while on the job, he's worth saving. You will need to establish some ground rules. Dealing with human nature is not a black & white thing. With regards... devildog

CNYScapes
03-15-2003, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the input. I guess I need to draw up the rules in writing, and have him sign it. This will probably be his last chance because my other employee will not have any respect for me if I continue to put up with his ****. Thanks again!

Gr grass n Hi tides
03-16-2003, 07:03 PM
It might be hard to tolerate this for three years and then try to buckle down on him, although I don't know what measures you may have taken with the guy. That kind of behavior can be very damaging to "espirit de corps" in any company.

If you are going to try and salvage him, that's great if it works out. However, bad work habits are very difficult to break. I have seen situations like this before at the office (my other job). The person that is allowed to get away with certain things I think starts to feel entitled to do so, and when their "liberty" is taken away their work suffers in another area. Take that to the bank. Maybe when you crack down on him he starts doing sub-par work in the field?

I wonder if he would shape up on his own if you didn't talk with him individually & instead talked to your crew as a group about "doing a better job" or what have you, then ran a help wanted ad in the newspaper even if your immediate intentions were not to hire a new guy. Just my .02.

TSM
03-16-2003, 08:44 PM
substance abuse?? dope/alcohol

definitely need a company handbook

If it were me, after he returned after one of his MIA's, I'd ask him if he were willing to take a drug test

but thats just me

if he wears my uniform, drives my truck, services my customers, I'd want to be sure he has his head screwed on right

CNYScapes
03-17-2003, 10:04 AM
I have had several talks with him in the past about what this does to my schedule and what it does to my other employee, but he says he understands and apologizes. He comes up with crazy stories sometimes to explain where he has been, and I know its bull. He probably is on drugs. I recently interviewed a couple of guys who have experience and I might just hire one of them and tell him to hit the road. Maybe.....

GraZZmaZter
03-18-2003, 08:37 AM
Yeppers, sounds like he falls off the wagon for a bit. Whatever his poison, you need to tell him to get it under control, as it will eventually lead to his termination.