PDA

View Full Version : mulch

fblandscape
03-15-2003, 06:19 PM
For those of you who buy mulch on a regular basis. The product that you buy, has it been composted for the appropriate 6 months, or is it straight out of the machine? If you do not buy composted mulch, would you be willing to spend more for mulch which has been left to sit for 6 months?

Kirk
03-15-2003, 07:03 PM
I guess this would greatly depend on the type of mulch we are talking about here.

Darryl G
03-17-2003, 05:05 AM
I use only fresh cedar mulch. Why would you want it composted for six months? Is there something I don't know?

fblandscape
03-18-2003, 01:10 AM
By letting the mulch compost for 6 months, you allow for the C:N ratio to drop. By doing this you cut back on the N which is robbed from the soil when the microbes start to degrade the mulch.

Darryl G
03-18-2003, 01:27 AM
O.K., thanks. Makes sense.

jkelton
03-18-2003, 01:53 PM
I try to buy composted mulch whenever I can - unfortunately, some suppliers do not adhere to composting principles. As long as the color is OK, most of them do not care. Also, the C:N ratio depends on the type of mulch you choose. I understand the reason for using composted mulch, but unfortunately most people in the business (and end consumers) do not.