PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in the north doing clean ups yet????

Jon99
03-15-2003, 09:19 PM
I had a lady call me and she wants her yard cleaned up on Monday, has a good amount of leaves... I usually wait until the grass begins to green to do clean ups, but she is insisting... My biggest fear is the ground is so soft right now and my Tiger Cub will tear her yard up...

Flex-Deck
03-15-2003, 09:51 PM
About anything will tear up yards now - I am in SE. Iowa and it is one muckey mess out there -

lawnkid
03-15-2003, 10:06 PM
I haven'r even passed out fliers yet. All this snow is running into my mowing. We just had 5" of snow finally all melt today from 60° temps. It's supposed to be in the 60's the next 5 days so I'll pas out fliers tomorrow. Peace

Nozzleman
03-15-2003, 10:28 PM
We still have some snow on the ground here in Rhode Island. However with temps in the 50's this week it should be gone in a few day's. I will have an ad in the paper this week so I hope potential customers are as ready to embrace spring as I am.

Bring it on :blob3:.

Lawn277
03-15-2003, 10:43 PM
Looks like next week if it stays warm and dry. The last couple days it has been 50 and 60 and the snow vanished. Last year It was April 6 when we started

thanks
Rick

MOW ED
03-16-2003, 05:57 AM
There is 4 feet of frost in the ground but it was 55 Saturday and gonna be 62 today. There still are 5 and 6 foot plowed piles of snow in the North facing lots that don't get sun. We don't start until April unless we get 60's from now on and warm rain to thaw the ground.

A1 Lawn@Landscapes
03-16-2003, 06:40 AM
I am in southern Massachusetts. The only thing I am cleaning up is the buffalo wing sauce off my chin. I have about a foot of snow in my front yard.

Kerry

KenH
03-16-2003, 07:55 AM
I think Im starting here in CT on Monday. Not with cleanups though. Way too soft.

Pape's Landscape Maintenance
03-16-2003, 08:12 AM
I've got 3 scheduled for monday and 2 for tuesday if the weather holds out, their calling for rain on tuesday so i'll wait and see.:blob3:
I'm getting to lazy sitting around this house, got to get out and get started:sleeping:

Steve

PR0 TURF
03-16-2003, 08:42 AM
All that we're cleaning up is snow...lots of it! Doesn't look like we'll be doing anything different for another month or so...no fun!!
:cry:

fatboy5803
03-16-2003, 08:45 AM
To all in the Northern States, Wish I could send some Warm weather up your way, as for me in Florida going Balls to the Wall. Allot of clean ups and new customers. Anticipating a good year..
Hope the weather treats ya'll better Soon! Good Luck...

Lou :blob3:

Jon99
03-16-2003, 08:47 AM
Other than the remainder of the huge piles in the parking lots, we haven't had snow in about 10 days and the temps have been in the 50's and 60's.... Its supposed to rain a lot this week, which is why she wants it done...

hustlers
03-16-2003, 08:52 AM
too frozen and muddy up here in MN
maybe in a week or two

Shuter
03-16-2003, 08:58 AM
I have gotten calls to start work, but I am waiting for a few weeks.

rodfather
03-16-2003, 09:13 AM
We're gonna wait another week or so...ground is really soft from all the snow melting. I'm not about to start leaving ruts in the lawn this early.

paponte
03-16-2003, 09:14 AM
No cleanups yet, there is still some snow scattered around. Ground is still too soft to put any machines on the lawns yet. Phone has been off the hook, and getting alot of design work. I have been in the office most of the time working on new projects. This forum usually helps me keep my sanity. :cool:

BobR
03-16-2003, 02:21 PM
This is the first day of 50° + temps for our area, got lots of snow on the ground, do see some patches under the pine trees, if the nice weather holds it will be a couple weeks before I will be able to walk any properties to check for downed tree limbs etc, probably a month before I will be able to use any motorized stuff.

Got the itch today and its been a long winter.
BobR

MOOSE
03-16-2003, 03:03 PM
Were waiting for the snow too melt here in Michigan. With the warmer temps we've had in past couple days it shouldn't be too long before we can start. Today say said 57 but right now as I type it's 61 so who knows when. We had 10-12" depending where you went outside of Detroit.

So hopefully it dries as fast as it's melting.

I know it can't be soon enough for me, I'm tried of sitting around.

Turfdude
03-16-2003, 05:34 PM
We're starting tomorrow 3/17! Its the latest I've started since - well I can't remember when. We actually did one large job for a friend who bought a new home over the winter on Friday. Double cut the 1 acre lot - bagged 4 cu yds of grass clippings. Pruned the front & side beds, removed dead shrubs and the 4' plus weeds. Had a total of 6 cu yds of brush. Its a beautiful home in an upscale neighborhood. The previous owners got divorced and hadn't touched the outside in 2.5-3 years. If I had time to finish the clean-up & mulch it - the total would probably be $3500-$4000.
Hey, we helped some, got a little taste of work and are ready for tomorrow!

Bob

mklawnman
03-16-2003, 09:13 PM
All the snow we had has melted, but the lawns are very mucky and mushy with 3ft at least of frost in the ground yet. Gonna be a few weeks yet before any clean-ups start, even though the past few days have felt like April around here with temps in the 50's and 60's. Still have to put fliers out, and surprisingly I was the only ad in the local advertising newspaper advertising for landscape work. Maybe its a bit early but seems spring is right around the corner which I'm excitied for:cool:
Matt

The Rock
03-16-2003, 10:22 PM
There is still 3 feet of snow on the ground. Wish I was doing cleanups. Went for a snowmobile ride today!!! With our temps hanging around 45 this week it should help with the thaw. But it will be a while... Think of us in Maine while you are out making money!!:angry:

Darryl G
03-16-2003, 11:57 PM
Still too wet here and some snow left, but with the temps hitting the 50's the phone is starting to ring. I don't think I'll start until at least April 1 this year. By this time last year I was already doing clean-ups and working my garden.

Awilkinson
03-17-2003, 01:23 AM
Well, I thought it was going to be to wet to do clean ups, but the past three days of 60's have really dried it up in a hurry! We are starting some clean ups at the end of the week. I was messing around today and check a few lawns I service and noticed that they are already greening up! Can't wait!!!!!

Jarrells74
03-17-2003, 06:38 PM
Just did my first estimate today, and will be doing a spring cleanup tommorrow.

Ground Effects NH
03-17-2003, 07:26 PM
Hello
Started to snow blow path to the landscape trailer today!
Still knee deep or better, Just hope I have the right hump in the snow!

Doogiegh
03-19-2003, 11:00 PM
Got 3 phone calls so far, all for cleanups, all leftover from the fall that never got completly finished. (1 was never done at all, 1 was done once and she wants it again for the spring and the 3rd is new for me to do as cleanups - picked her up as a mowing account the last week in October..

Haven't even ran the first newspaper ad yet..

Working on the machines and trailer this weekend, plan on starting in about 10 days..

Gary - NJ

Brother1
03-19-2003, 11:47 PM
Things here in NY have started to look a bit more like spring. Snow is melting pretty quick but most yards are extremely wet. Will probably go out over next week to check out last years customers' yards to give a cleanup estimate and will probably start doing some real work by 1st week of April. Hopefully things dry out a bit by than. Phone started ringing this week and we'll start our ads next week so hopefully things will pick up in next few weeks.

bobbygedd
03-20-2003, 12:28 AM
yup, we are doin them, started monday. just have to take the turns real wide.

TheGrassGuy
03-20-2003, 05:27 AM
Gonna be May for sure around here. We have had 22' of snow so far this winter and lots of that is still on the ground. We had snow before we had cold temps so the should not be a lot of frost in the ground. Hoping to get some rain by the weekend.

Doogiegh
03-21-2003, 08:37 PM
I'm thinking my first day will be Friday, March 28th. We got more rain again today, along with a massive downpour and small hail.. So just as the ground was drying out, it is a soaking sopping mess again..

Gary

LCAmerica2
03-21-2003, 08:47 PM
just about right here in michigan. if the weather holds for the weekend we should start up on monday or tuesday. already lined
45 new clean-ups from flyers so were just ready to go.

Lawn Care America