PDA

View Full Version : does anyone out there use a gravely 260z

toddgravely60z
08-31-2000, 10:32 PM
I have a gravely 260z rider with a 25 hp engine I have double blades (thanks to Eric), and love it. Just wandering why I never hear anything about these on here? Do you know something I don't(just kidding) would love to hear from people using my same mower, not that I don't like reading about your's cause I learn something new everytime I come to this site.

eslawns
09-01-2000, 01:15 AM
I just looked at a 250Z today. I was very impressed. I liked the hydraulic deck lift and the big front caster wheels to go over curbs. Any problems or peculiarities with your Z?

toddgravely60z
09-01-2000, 07:19 PM
I haven't had any trouble out of mine, today just turned
150 hrs. What I like the most is the independent front end and the seat with the adjustable spring to help soak up some of the bumps. Also the hydro lift deck is great.

chrisbolte
09-01-2000, 09:26 PM
I have a 250Z and absolutly love it. I have almost 300 hours on the machine. I have had no major problems. I have quite a few gravely walk behinds and never have any problems with them. I have posted quite a few things about gravelys but no one on this site enjoys talking about them. Good luck and buy gravely.

eslawns
09-01-2000, 09:46 PM
I've looked at all the riders in the $5,000 to $8,000 range, but I like the Gravely 250Z ($6,000) and the Encore Prowler 52" Mid-cut ($6500) Best price was on the Gravely and the Great Dane. I also like the out front cut mowers but they is be a bit 'spensive, suh.

Most of the larger outfits near me use Toro WB, so when they went to riders, they stayed with the same dealers. I'm not a Toro guy, but when in Rome... Other than the two I like, they all seem pretty much the same.

Runner
09-02-2000, 02:06 AM
I've heard alot of goo things about the 260Zs and they are definetely alot of bang for the buck. I was, however, warned that the pins holding the casters should be replaced locking type because these casters have been known on several occasions to fall off and go under the deck. (ugly noise/even worse liability). And thay've GOT to put down a better cut than the Promaster 300s do! Does anyone else have a 300 rider? I keep mine for reach trimming.

Evan528
09-02-2000, 10:25 PM
runner, i had one! No more! i sold it and i now have a toro z master! whata difrence. no more clumping or uncut grass sticking up! Those 300 series rider are pure junk!

toddgravely60z
09-03-2000, 01:26 AM
one of my best friends had his caster fall off and go under the deck. the pins in the casters have what looks like a key ring holding them in I replaced mine with cotter pins works great

Yard
04-08-2001, 11:11 PM
How are those Gravely 260z's holding up? Do you guys still like them? I looked at one last season and they looked like a well built machine.
I don't have the specs on them, but they look longer than other ztrs. Does anyone know if they are , or is it just the design of the engine cover that make them look that way? How do they stack up against other ztrs?
Thanks for any info and happy mowing!

Chopper Lover
04-08-2001, 11:41 PM
I have a 260Z. This is my first season using it and so far I am thrilled to death with it. It cuts nicely out of the box and runs like a champ. The double blades are going on it tomorrow (I hope) but the cut so far has not indicated they are needed.

I checked the front roller on mine and it was already locked at the pin with a sheet metal screw. They must have corrected that on the newer models.

Yard, they are longer I think. The motor is more of a "rear mount" than most ZTR's. This design supposedly diercets the exhaust noise away from the operator. I must say it seems pretty quiet when you ride it. The 260 is 90" long per the spec sheet and weighs in at 1125#.

Let's keep in touch!
Mark

[Edited by Chopper Lover on 04-08-2001 at 10:47 PM]

Albemarle Lawn
04-26-2001, 01:45 AM
What are double blades for the 260Z? I have two gravley 260z machines. They occasionally have cut problems.

Ken

Chopper Lover
04-26-2001, 08:38 AM
What kind of cut problems?

Also, I e-mailed you with some info on "Double Blades" including a web address for a fellow at lawnsite (his name is Eric) that is kinda the "Double Blade Guru". Check it out, I think you will find it informative.

Mark

cleancut
04-26-2001, 09:14 PM
I've had a 260z for the last two years...Like everyone said, I also had problems with the front deck wheels falling off...However, that's easily fixed....When I first bought mine, it had the 50in deck and it was the worse mowing mower that I had ever used...The 50in deck didn't have any wheels on the deck to keep it mowing level or from scalping...I complained to Gravely and they were great...I had had the mower for a year and they replaced the 50in deck with a new 60in deck..It mows great now....I have over 300 hrs. on it and have had only minor problems...It's a great machine for mulching up heavy leaves....I also absolutely love the hydraulic deck....If u mow on alot of slopes, I would suggest putting fluid in the tires or using wheel weights....Happy Mowing ....Derrick

OBRYANMAINT
04-26-2001, 11:36 PM
i have a loaner 260 z this week because my new one(sentar) is in the shop,....... works well.... seat is definately comfortable and the hydro deck lift makes you feel too trick the deck moves a bit much and tends to scalp a bit more than a turf tiger does

the motor sounds weak but the machine cut very well with no clumpingand the under side of the deck needed less scraping than i had anticipated in tall-n wet grass

cpp
04-26-2001, 11:47 PM
Have a chance to buy a Woods 2250 with 120 Hrs for $5950 (out of state no tax) told dealer would only take it if he put on scalp wheels front of deck, and stop kit. This is the sme as a Gravely 250z. I am mowing about 5-6 acres. Liked the ferris and the Great dane, but the $6600. price plus tax is too high. Is that a good mower and price?
Thanks

GrassWorx
04-27-2001, 10:41 PM
I love my new 260. i shopped around for along time looking for a good lawnmower i just feel like i'm getting so much more bang for the buck with the 260 3 year commercial warranty $6300 Didn 't know anything about them but everyone i talked to said great things about them and i am loving it so far. it wil have paid for itself three times in three years. I have a 260Z 60 inch cut great lawnmower. it is a tough made machine and trust me i shopped around.

Yard
07-01-2001, 09:22 PM
GrassWorx, you only paid $6300 for your 260Z? Was it new? I was quoted around $8500 with a 25 Kohler.

Any other new 260Z owners?

creekside
07-28-2001, 02:48 AM
Hey Chopper Lover and Cleancut,
Great to hear you love your machines.
Was wondering what engines you guys chose for your Gravely 260Zs?
Tim.

Chopper Lover
07-28-2001, 09:36 AM
When I purchased mine I had a choice in motors. I could either get a Kohler Command 25 hp or a Kohler Command 25 hp. So I chose the obvious, the Kohler Command 25 hp. :D

I have heard the horror stories about these motors. I have been happy with it to date but constatly have my ears and eyes open for motor trouble.

Mark

cleancut
07-28-2001, 11:27 PM
Mine has the 25 hp kohler command engine...Just be sure to use a high quality oil and keep up your regular maintenance...Derrick

creekside
07-30-2001, 02:17 AM
Grassworx,
I am exactly where you were when you were making a decision on which Z to buy. I am shopping and studying like crazy also!
Been two months reading specs, visiting/calling dealers, surfing (that part was great though...found lawnsite!), visiting owners selling used equip etc.
Your'e right, the 260Z is a lot of bang for the buck. I can get the Woods M2560 which is the Gravely 260Z in different paint with the hydraulic deck, premium suspension seat, flexing front axles, and a cover over the engine for a little less than the Toro ZMaster 62" with nothing but the basics. I want my wife to enjoy the mower that I choose as well, she enjoys cutting also! We are going to test ride the Woods M2560, Toro 62", and a Bobcat as soon as we get the chance and make the decision. I am leaning toward the Gravely/Woods Z for the above reasons. She thinks the Toro is prettier. ha, ha :D

Hey Ya'll
Gravely changed the front anti-scalp rollers, no more swiviling, pinned rollers, that sometimes would break. They are now the basic type rollers that most others have.
How do you 260Z owners like the engine cover and does the slightly longer size of the mower ever been a factor?

Happy Mowin'
Tim.

Chopper Lover
07-30-2001, 09:22 AM
The Engine Cover...

I have learned to get used to it being there, but it does have a couple of "folds" in the sheet metal from bumping into things that I did not realize were so close.

Striping is "OK" at best...

I have adjusted the deck a few times and the stripes are better, but still not what I would like...

Lack of Accessories...

There are no striping kits... Double blades have not worked well... No head lights.

I have listed all my issues with the 260Z and if you are OK with them I would still recommend buying one. You get a lot of bang for the buck. I have been satisfied with mine overall. Even though I have been satisfied with my 260Z I don't think I will be buying another one. I think I will either go ExMark or Dixie Chopper next.

If you have any specific cares or concerns, please e-mail me with them and I would he happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

Mark