PDA

View Full Version : Lesco Riders vs. Exmark Riders

new lawn
08-31-2000, 10:51 PM
Today I recieved a flyer from Lesco it says "INVENTORY CLEARANCE" for as low as $5995 I can get a Viper 54" with a 23hp kow. Or a 60" cut Viper for $6195, both are air cooled.

I personally like Exmark and have only heard good things about their equipment. I priced out Exmark today and WOW what a difference in price! Exmark wants $7999 for a 60" rider with a Kohler engine (25 hp). Why such a difference? Is Exmark that much better? Should I go air cooled or liquid? Kow engine or is Kohler fine? I will buy a new rider this year end and I need to know if that extra $money$ is worth paying. Also Lesco is offering No Payments until 4-1-2001. I have the money to buy but I have never owned a rider and have no idea which one is the better quality mower. It's funny but with Lesco right in my neighborhood, I don't see a lot of their equipment out on the road. Could this be a sign?? Any comments will be concidered.

Turf Kutter
08-31-2000, 11:24 PM
Exmark is the better mower but Lesco is good also.If that Lesco dealer is that close in your neighborhood then how far is the Exmark dealer?If the Exmark dealer is a place where it is far and hard to get parts you better of with Lesco.If the Exmark dealer is close and easy to get parts then go with Exmark it is better in quality built but Lesco is good at that too from what I heard but not experienced.Exmark has the better quality of cuts though.Hope I`ve helped.:)

new lawn
08-31-2000, 11:37 PM
Lesco is about 10 min away and the Exmark dealer is about 30 mins away! The Exmark dealer told my also if something happens while the mower in under warranty the will give me a loaner until mine is fixed...Not sure if Lesco will do the same? Thanx for the info.

FIREMAN
08-31-2000, 11:40 PM
USE CAUTION WITH LESCO, ITS MADE BY THE SAME CO THAT MAKES MTD TRACTORS AND COMMERCIAL EQUIP. THATS NOT TO SAY IT ISN'T A DECENT UNIT, BUT BE WARNED MANY LESCO DEALERS DON'T CARRY A LOT OF PARTS FOR MOWERS AND IF THIS IS THE CASE IN YOUR LOCALITY A CHEAPER MOWER COULD COST YOU MORE IN DOWNTIME THAN YOU'LL EVER SAVE AT THE PURCHASE.

Turf Kutter
08-31-2000, 11:41 PM
30 min is a little long but check with your Lesco dealer about that.

Eric ELM
08-31-2000, 11:58 PM
A friend of mine bought a Viper last year in the spring and put more hours on Loaners than he did the one he bought. He got them to give him his money back this spring, at least a fair market value of it, because it was in the shop a lot again this spring. He bought a Dixie Chopper and wishes he had gotten it to start with, but he got the Viper for a few hundred less. I would go with the Exmark if I had to make the choice, but I don't. Demo them both and talk to others that have them. I don't know if anyone on this forum owns a Viper. Does anyone?

new lawn
09-01-2000, 12:07 AM
Eric, I want your job! I could sit on this site all day!
I wouldn't even ask for much $$$$$$

Eric ELM
09-01-2000, 12:13 AM
New Lawn, I sit on a Dixie Chopper all day in the summer. I'll be on a lot this winter though. If this forum gets any bigger, I'll need to keep a laptop on my DC hooked to a satelite dish internet. :D

sunrise
09-01-2000, 08:48 AM
I have a viper 60 in. It hasn't be used in over a year. low hrs on it most everthing has broke on it motor is good but that is it.
So I got a lazer 60 in to replace it no problems as of today but I wouldn't buy a viper today for a 1 dollar, junk!!

lawrence stone
09-01-2000, 09:12 AM
Sunrise what have been the issues with your lesco ztr.

If a contractor was a qualified auto tech would one be able to "fix" these problems? Have you had any structural, engine, hydro, or spindle proplems?

If the price was low enough I would be interested in this
machine.

Runner
09-01-2000, 10:44 AM
Let's see. An Exmark or a Viper; A truck or a Volkswaggon.

Turf Kutter
09-01-2000, 11:27 AM
That`s what I love about this forum it is more like a vote with everyone replying.Now you see the differences.It looks go with Exmark.

KirbysLawn
09-01-2000, 01:20 PM
Fireman is correct, made by MTD and we know what that means. My Lesco tried to sell me one when I bought my Great Danes, great choice. Exmark v/s Lesco mowers: Exmark.................Exmark v/s Great Dane, now that's another story! :D

[Edited by KirbysLawn on 09-01-2000 at 04:29 PM]

Greenkeepers
09-01-2000, 01:26 PM
It's like comparing a dodge to a diahatsu.... I used to run a lesco w/b when I worked for a 5 years ago. It wasn't too bad but it seems like the new ones have gotten worse. I've run the viper also and they sit so high and are very bumpy. We currently run exmark. So there's my vote too!!

Mike
Greenkeepers

sunrise
09-01-2000, 02:50 PM
reply to Lawrence stone
structural problems 3 monthinto using frame broke into just below the seat Had it weilded and it broke on the right side of wheel giving the rider a wild ride spindles replaced all of them the machine is a joke Lesco gave me 2000.00 and told me to keep it they were afraid I would change chemical supplier

Eric ELM
09-01-2000, 03:50 PM
Sunrise: Your the second one I have heard of that had one and they did a buy out on it. At least they didn't stiff you guys. :)

lawrence stone
09-01-2000, 03:56 PM
Sunrise is the quality of cut good with that 60" stamped deck? And what went wrong with the spindles?

J MAN
09-02-2000, 12:16 AM
My Exmark is awesome. At first I had a problem with the seat cut off switch, but that was fixed and I have never had a problem yet. And the dealer gave me a loaner to use while mine was in the shop, and just to give you and idea about pricing. I paid $6300 (includes tax) for my 99 Exmark Lazer Zhp 48" it was 3 months old and had 48 hours on it, and the warranty came with it.

sunrise
09-04-2000, 03:47 PM
cut was good
spindles 1)frooze up no grease plug 2&3 just fell apart sleeves in one was cracked the other was shorter than all of the others

Cutter1
09-04-2000, 04:41 PM
I have tried them both in the past. I bought an Exmark!! Exmark is a far better piece of equipment. Lesco may be cheaper but you will pay eventually.

bob
09-04-2000, 05:05 PM
Lesco mowers are made by MTD, which means Made To Disinagrate. Lesco may be great in the chemical field, but leave the mowers to the the big boys! My local Lesco dealer told me that when the Viper came out,the only deck they offered was the 54". You think they would of had the 60" out first!

northeast
09-04-2000, 06:17 PM
I would definatly go with the eXmark.
been running my lazer hp hard all season and not a 1 problem,cut is awsome. demo both models.
Nick