PDA

View Full Version : Does cutting wet grass hurt it?

lasher66
03-16-2003, 03:55 PM
I noticed I get a lot of customers in the spring time not wanting me to cut their grass because it rained earlier that day. They claim it hurts the grass if it is not dry when it is cut. To me, it seems like as long as you bag it or dont let the grass clump up to much on the lawn, it should be ok. I just wanted to find out the truth about cutting grass if it is wet. Thanks for any help.

Lasher

fblandscape
03-16-2003, 04:11 PM
If I remember correctly, you CAN cut grass when it's wet. However you have to watch out that you don't tear up the lawn when you do your turns, or stop / speed up. The thing I don't realy remember is whether or not there was an issue about diseases being passed around like that. :confused:

David Haggerty
03-16-2003, 04:26 PM
no

mdb landscaping
03-16-2003, 04:28 PM
its not bad for it. just dont let clumps sit on the lawn afterwards like you stated. and dont make tear marks when you turn. if its sopping wet, you can compact and rut the lawn over time if you mow it when its always wet.

ladibugg
03-16-2003, 04:41 PM
Does cutting your hair wet hurt it?

I have read some posts that folks schedule their weeks around the potential of rain. " It did't rain, but I took the day off in case it does." Whatever!

Did'nt your mother ever make you go out and play in the rain? Ever kick around in the mud puddles? Don't you golf in the rain? Ever just go for a walk in the rain?

Cutting in the rain is not about the grass, it's about little junior not getting wet.

I schedule my weeks around a good beer buzz in the morning. Some people are just to uptight.

Patty Bixel Ladybug Landscape

p.s. yes things can get a little slippery!

paponte
03-16-2003, 04:45 PM
NO it can't hurt it.The only thing you can do is damage it by sliding, or not exaggerating your turns. I have cut many of lawns in the teaming rain. :cool:

NCSULandscaper
03-16-2003, 04:45 PM
You can cut grass when its wet but its not recommended. When wet grass travels from yard to yard the potential for diseases increases. Personally i wait until the grass is dry to cut all my lawns.

LAWNGODFATHER
03-16-2003, 06:55 PM
No it doesn't hurt the grass.

You run a biz, can't play wait till it's doesn't rain.

John Gamba
03-16-2003, 07:16 PM
No Tell Them Thats when The father Of the house Use To cut With a 3.5 Hp Push Mower with Dull Blades. You have a commercial Mower Made For wet Grass. Just bag It if your going to clump.
John

rvsuper
03-16-2003, 08:05 PM
John that is the coolest pic I've ever seen..are those your lazers?

I will be mowing my greens and fairways in the morning this spring and summer. They have always done it here and it will continue...it doesn't hurt the grass in anyway as long as you have the blades sharp and a good mower.

NCSULandscaper
03-17-2003, 01:38 AM
Im glad everyone on here cuts grass when its wet, that will give me more business to come in and treat all the brown patch and fairy rings when they show up in the summer time.

LoneStarLawn
03-17-2003, 02:55 AM
YES cutting in the rain can hurt the grass. Wet grass is heavier than normal because of it's moisture content. With that in mind the blades of a mower can have trouble actually cutting the grass. Instead, a tearing effect can occur in some grasses. The tears increase the chance for diseases.

Darryl G
03-17-2003, 04:12 AM
NCSU - I don't think my cutting wet grass here in CT is gonna give you any more business, unless you're into road trips with the trailer in tow. Really, if I were to wait until all my lawns were dry, I'd never make any money!

SLS
03-17-2003, 06:03 AM
How long does it take for the brown spot and fairy rings to show up?

I've been knocking them out wet for 4 years now and haven't seen neither develop on my lawns.

Could location/zone, type of turf, or condition/type of soil have something to do with whether it happens or not??? :confused:

MOW ED
03-17-2003, 06:44 AM
As said above, I couldn't wait until all my lawns are dry or I'd be broke and the lawns would be 2 feet tall.

I don't know if there are negative horticultural effects from cutting wet grass and I really can't worry about if it does or not. If the customer wants it cut, then there are sometimes that I have to cut it when its wet.
I have been cutting wet lawns going on 8 years and haven't had problems with disease. I will admit that in the early years I had a couple of tear marks from learning to operate the Walker in the wet turf.
I personally think a wet lawn that has been mowed looks better than a dry one if you do a good job.

This too will pass and next we will be crying because its so hot and dry.;)

John Gamba
03-17-2003, 07:03 AM
Yes Two Of Many
John.

John Gamba
03-17-2003, 07:12 AM
Brown patch Comes In Cool Season Grass when it's humid day And Night Not when You Mow the Grass.
John.
The house in the Picture Is mowed Wet every time. It has Four Artisan Wells For 8 acers. It Is watered Every Night.

Tvov
03-17-2003, 08:59 AM
The problem we have with cutting wet grass is cleanup. Some customers ask us to wait until the grass is dry, because of clumping of grass clippings. And as the photo by John Gamba shows, nothing like having to clean wet grass off a driveway!

I have never had a disease problem in lawns related to cutting wet grass.

When possible, we try to work around cutting wet grass, but sometimes there is nothing you can do and you have to, or the grass will be two feet tall as mentioned earlier.

John Gamba:
" The house in the Picture Is mowed Wet every time. It has Four Artisan Wells For 8 acers. It Is watered Every Night."

Do you charge extra because of watering every night? As compared to lawns that are watered less? We have one customer who I am going to be raising mowing rates on because everytime we show up, the lawn is soaked.

John Gamba
03-17-2003, 09:23 AM
Yes I'm Paid Very Well, In the north east When It's Cool,Wet And Partly sunny You have to mow every seven days Or you will Have a lawn totally Out Of Control. With the Double High Lifts On The Lazer last spring I was able to Mow 8" Of Very green Lawn twice With No Clumping At all. I did Mow slower then If It was dryer But We Didn't Have to Bag It Like we would HAve If we Had single Blades. One Of the Mowers Had single Blades And clumped The Other did Not. I got a tip from a former employee From exmark about Double Blades And It worked. They don't Work In the Dry thow. I Was experimenting Last spring.

Oh thats where They Bring In The Racing horses To there climate controlled Stables. They the Owners drive On Paver's Not concrete Please.
John.

polecat63
03-17-2003, 09:25 AM
Ladi bug posted
"Cutting in the rain is not about the grass, it's about little junior not getting wet."
Actually it's not about junior getting wet, it's about junior not getting his foot cut off when he slips under the mower. If safety isn't one of your main concerns you probably shouldn't get near a mower. IMHO

Matt'slawncare
03-17-2003, 10:00 AM
When the grass is wet or even damp it will lay down and you will not get an even cut. But not all of us have time to wait for it to dry, so i even mow when it is wet.

Jarrells74
03-17-2003, 07:19 PM
John, them stripes are killer man.. They look great.. Is it possoble to get stripes that look that good from a wb?

Ajays
03-18-2003, 07:37 PM
My problem is not wet grass... its wet ground. Messing up the turf is my biggest fear when its really wet. Its hard enough not tearing things up when its dry.

MDMowing
03-18-2003, 07:47 PM
We mow when it's dry. I hate mowing wet grass. I don't like it when it clumps. The yards look like S___ and the mowers are a mess to clean up. On occassions we mow a grass if it starts raining when were about finished. But after we finish that yard we go back to the office.

Have a Nice Day::eek:

Expert Lawns
03-18-2003, 07:50 PM
I mow in light rain. blowing the clippings is a huge PITA, especially in flowerbeds. keep the blades sharp and don't be in a hurry. washing the mowers can be a hastle too, but its better than being a whole day behind

LWNMWR1
03-18-2003, 08:22 PM
i love to mow in the rain. people are shocked that we can do such a great job. i have had a couple people who stopped to watch and ended up hiring us.!!:D

John Gamba
03-19-2003, 07:15 AM
Jerells Yes You Can!!!
Here Is a Scaned Older Pic Of Strips with a Turf tracer and Pro Slide.

John.

tinman
04-09-2003, 12:24 AM
I have to cut in the rain/ or when it's wet just so I do not get behind. If your blades are sharp it is not a problem.:blob3:

bastalker
04-09-2003, 12:39 AM
Very nice john G. !!!!!!The Ct boys can actually cut too huh?

Cutting wet grass doesn,t hurt it one bit. Just make exagerated turns.....

As far as spreading disease..:rolleyes:

Green Pastures
04-09-2003, 12:57 AM
I don't cut grass when it's wet or when it's raining. I don't like my equipment to get wet. Just me. No other reason.

lasher66
04-09-2003, 10:39 AM
What about the trying to use a vac system when its wet? I got a hasty vac with a 6.5 hp motor on it. Does wet grass get to heavy for a vac system to bag it?

Lasher

Gravely_Man
04-09-2003, 10:51 AM
No mowing in the rain will not hurt the grass. If this were the case people in Washington state would never be able to mow. I personally try and avoid mowing the rain but that is just me.

Gravely_Man

Popsicle
04-09-2003, 11:28 AM
They don't call us the Evergreen State for nothing! If I'm not mistaken, Portland actually gets more rain a year than Seattle.