PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Brake controler install

eggy
09-01-2000, 02:10 PM
Well i was wanting to install a brake controler on a 2000 chevy this weekend, any advice ont what unit to biuy and level of diffuculty i might expect??????? Oh buy the way the truck doesnt have a tow pkge installed...THANKS!

Eric ELM
09-01-2000, 02:27 PM
Bummer on the tow package not being installed. On my 97 Ford, it has the tow package and it had a wire under the dash to plug right into for the trailer brakes.

You will have to run a wire from the controller to the back trailer light plug, hook up a hot wire to the controller, tap into the break light switch wire and then ground the controller. It's not to difficult to do, but time consuming. I've installed them in 5 Fords, but never a Chevy, but it has to be about the same setup. Each wire is marked on the controller, so that helps. Just read the directions for a Chevy and it will tell you how to do it.
I hope this helps and good luck. :)

Alan
09-01-2000, 03:21 PM
Tekonsha "Voyager" controllers work well for me. Easy to install, power wire in, ground, power wire out and a wire to teh cold side of the brake light switch. Easy to adjust and seem problem free. Even if you don't have the towing package I think your Chevy is factory wired for a 7 hole connector. Should be a bundle of wires tucked up behind the bumper. Tailights, turn/brake lights, backuplights, ground and two extras, one for a charge leg and one for brakes. Those extra wires end up by the brake booster, pick one and use it. At least that is how the 97s were set up. If the 2000 has seperate turn signals and brake lights you will probably need a convertor to hook them into the same circuit on the trailer. A shop that sells hitches and supplies should have the convertor.

eggy
09-01-2000, 08:43 PM
Hey guys thanks for the help...printed out your info so I could have it in front of me...And when I screw something up have someone to blame !!!!haha........Once again thanks!

mowerman90
09-01-2000, 10:05 PM
eggy, Let me know how it turns out. I'm thinking of putting brakes on my 12ft trailer towed by my 2000 Ford Ranger. The guy at the place I bought the trailer says it should be around $200 for the brakes and 50 - 75 for the controler. Does that sound about what you're spending?

eggy
09-01-2000, 10:37 PM
50.00 for the controler, to have it installed here runs around 125 to 150...but hey I think I will do it myself tomorrow...and after I screw it up take it to the shop tuesday...buy the way I do currently have a four prong flat hook up. I have been pulling a 6x10 no brakes and just bought a 7x16 brakes needed....

Grasscape Inc
09-02-2000, 09:40 AM
If your doing your own hookups, go tp http://www.northerntool.com
and buy your stuff. Cheap! (prices)

John DiMartino
09-02-2000, 11:18 AM
Mowerman,are your prices with install?Those prices are good,I put brakes on my fathers 6x12 enclosed Harley Trailer laest year,I bought everything from Northern,it was 69 for brakes with backers,69 for the drums with hubs and bearings,and 50 for the deluxe breakaway with recharging hookup.Shipping costs brought it to around 200,so they are giving you a fair deal on the brakes.If there is a any doubt as to whether you need brakes on the trailer or not I ask myself these questions.You should have them if,it is for commercial use and the total towed load excced 40% of the tow vehicles operating weight.Any trailer over 3500GVWR,and any trailer that weighs 1000lbs or more empty.My buddy tows a 6x12 landscape trailer with a 4.3 S10 pickup,his truck eats brakes since he has no trailer brakes,it would be safer and cheaper in the long run to get them,thrn he could stop fast if need be.His truck weight is 3100 lbs,his average trailer weight is 3000 lbs.This is a recipe for an accident,its just a matter of time,especially since the strong 4.3 pulls and accelerates so well even with the load,it makes it easy to forget its there.I told him I dont feel its safe and gave him an astimate for doing the brake install,I think he's going to have me do them this winter when things slow down.Be safe everryone,the way people drive anymore we need everthing working and in tip top shape,especially on the tandem axles being pulled by little 1500 trucks.

whartford
09-02-2000, 07:34 PM
I use one by Surepull to tow a horse trailer. Got it from a guy on the internet brand new along with wiring kit, lighting converter, hitch, etc. He had great prices and it was all very easy to hook up. E-mail me if anyone is interested and I'll try to pull out his name.

As for installing, the wiring kit, had all nessesary wiring and circuit breakers and it was just labor intensive.

Bill

mowerman90
09-02-2000, 11:00 PM
Was strolling down the automotive isle at my local Wal-Mart today and found a Reese Controller for $49.95 Once I get the brakes I think I'll got back and get the controller from w-m then install everthing myself, then do like eggy and pay someone to do it right! (hahaha)

stevesmowing
12-21-2004, 05:39 PM
Where is the plug for a 97f150 under the dash. I have 2 connects. On on the left and one on the right. I was going to oder a controller from http://www.brakecontroller.com/ Does anyone have any thoughts on what the best one is for the money?

stevesmowing
12-21-2004, 05:52 PM
I think I narrowed it down between
1. Self-Leveling Proportional Brake Controller
2. Digital Inertia Activated Brake Controller

let me know what you think, Thanks!

ProMo
12-22-2004, 08:53 AM
I switched to the prodigy and am very happy no jerking in slow traffic