PDA

View Full Version : Re-seeding Of Front Yard

GrassInPA
03-17-2003, 11:22 PM
There is a landscaping job that I have questions about how to do:

One of my previous landscaping customers has asked me to fix her front yard that was basically killed by the heat of last summer.

The area of the yard is around 300 square feet. I was thinking of renting a sod cutter to take out the existing yard. There is a large spot in the middle of the yard that is sunk because of an oak tree that was removed.

After removing the grass, I was going to put a layer of topsoil down and then the seed.

I'm sorry if I forgot any details. I can answer any questions that anyone has. I would greatly appreciate help on this one.

P.S. I'll try and get pics.

NCSULandscaper
03-18-2003, 12:52 AM
if its that small of an area i would just get a walk behind tiller and till up the area, apply your layer of topsoil, rake out any clumps, then seed, fertilize, lime, and possibly straw if you wanted to.

timturf
03-18-2003, 03:43 PM
Get a soil test!!!!!

If adding top soil , find out % om in topsoil and roto till in. If top soil applied over existing soil, you create a layer that impedies drainage.
Consider sod for small job!

Mike Bradbury
03-19-2003, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by timturf
Get a soil test!!!!!

If adding top soil , find out % om in topsoil and roto till in. If top soil applied over existing soil, you create a layer that impedies drainage.
Consider sod for small job!

interested in the sod for small job comment. Reasons?
Thanks

timturf
03-19-2003, 08:24 AM
Mike,
Job only 300 sq ft, so 99% cost of job is labor & equipment cost. For another $90.00 in material cost you could sod the front yard! Customer would love results!

paponte
03-19-2003, 09:10 AM
You have the right idea with the sod cutter and the soil. As stated above a soil test would be a good idea if your not 100% sure the lawn died from lack of water. If the soil Ph is off and the grass died that way, you don't want to look like an @ss when your seed dies also and you are back to square one... for free now. :cool:

timturf
03-19-2003, 09:30 AM
SOIL TEST

You don't know the soil chemistry! Now is the easiest, and best time to correct soil chemistry if needed. BE PROFESSIONAL, do a soil test!!!!!!!!
Cost me @$9.00 per sample plus time! A little more if you test for na!

GrassInPA
03-19-2003, 11:43 AM
Thanks to everyone who's given replies so far. I'm going to try and get over this weekend to get some pictures taken. Maybe I can get some of the landscaping I did over there in the pics :) .

Does anybody have a general idea of where I could get a soil test done? I would greatly appreciate help on this one.

GrassInPA

timturf
03-19-2003, 12:40 PM
grassIn Pa

Got the message, SOIL TEST!!!! GREAT

A & L Eastern AG Lab
1 804 743 9401

Covers Pa and east coast, have other labs throughout us