PDA

View Full Version : HArley Vs Rockhound

SWR11
03-17-2003, 11:54 PM
What's up What are the benefits of a rockhound?

I can't find a picture of one.

I leaning toward's The HARLEY due to their rep

Any comments would be appreciated

Thanks

site
03-18-2003, 09:37 AM
The harley will screen the top inch or two of soil and leave the tailings in a windrow. the rockhound will pick the debris off the top without screening. The harley leaves a better seedbed, but generates more tailings and costs more. I own a harley. I would not consider a rockhound for myself.

SWR11
03-18-2003, 12:56 PM
Thanks site for your input
What rate do you charge for rake?10 square foot or 60.00Hr
Which do you think is more profitable?

Thanks again

greenngrow
03-18-2003, 09:26 PM
Get the harley and forget the rest....

site
03-19-2003, 06:07 PM
I usually go by the square foot after seeing the sub grade. It will probably be safer to go by the hour until you get the feel for it.

SWR11
03-20-2003, 12:14 AM
Thanks Site

How long does it take to get a good feel for it?

DaddyRabbit
03-20-2003, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by SWR11
Thanks Site

How long does it take to get a good feel for it?

Count on at least one complete planting season.

SWR11
03-20-2003, 09:34 AM
Seams awfully long, Well I guess we will have to see.
Thanks for the help everyone.

chaos270
03-20-2003, 08:02 PM
If you have a large skid steer a FFC Preperator is an option. I must emphasize large though as the preperator rakes the rock into the bucket. your machine then must be able to lift the 1100# preperator and all the rock in the bucket to a dump-able height. The machine does a pretty solid job in our rocky CT soil. If you skim the lawn with loam and make two passes at diagnals you can achieve a near flawless seed bed.
As for the learning curve I would give it a season.
I think!!! the rockhound is the same as Bobcats Landscape Rake if that is true it has a lot of moving parts that are exposed directly to the dirt something I personally try to avoid.
Back to the Harley I like their product and am considering one for when I purchase a TLB.

worthbrown
03-25-2003, 02:59 PM
I think the learning curve is a little less to do a good job. I turned a guy loose yesterday that has never used a harley, but is mechanically inclined. In one day he has pretty much figured it out. Granted, he will be much better at it after one season, but he did a good job. It probably took him longer than it should have, but if you can run a bobcat, you can use a harley.

ksss
03-26-2003, 02:17 AM
I have never used a Harley although there are several around here (tractor mounted). I have two FFC Preparators (skid steer) and I think they are far superior to the Rock Hound. The Rock Hound is maintanence intensive after they have some hours on them. The Preparators work better in harder ground conditions. They are heavier and take a little more machine to run. I use these rock rakes in conjuction with a scarifier. When the ground is loose you can really do a great job leveling with them and you don't have a trail of rocks to pickup. This is a big plus when rock raking after an irrigation installation.