PDA

View Full Version : putting green install ideas for northern N.E.

LWNMWR1
03-18-2003, 05:01 PM
thinking of adding artificial putting greens to the list of things done. has anyone done this north of Mass. how does frost and freeze affect??

Harleyman
03-18-2003, 07:40 PM
I do not know hope to find out this year!

hcarter62
03-20-2003, 05:58 PM
I put one in here in Maine last April. It held up fine all last year. I will have to wait for the snow to melt before I can report on freeze/ thaw conditions. I will decide at that time if it is a good fit here in Northern New England. I hope so because I have a few jobs lined up, even one up your way on the NH/ VT border.

LWNMWR1
03-20-2003, 07:51 PM
what companies product are you using. i just got samples from all pro greens? i have yet to check it out.

LB Landscaping
03-21-2003, 11:32 AM
There are many other companies out there besides All-Pro. Do an internet search for "synthetic putting greens" or "back yard putting greens" and you'll find quite a few companies.

LWNMWR1
03-21-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by hcarter62
I put one in here in Maine last April. It held up fine all last year. I will have to wait for the snow to melt before I can report on freeze/ thaw conditions. I will decide at that time if it is a good fit here in Northern New England. I hope so because I have a few jobs lined up, even one up your way on the NH/ VT border.
just wondering what company you used hcarter62

hcarter62
03-21-2003, 06:40 PM
The company that supplied me with the materials was All Pro. I found the material easy to work with and the company fairly pro-active. Word of caution:
1. You are going to need some specialized equipment
2. There is definitely a learning curve on do' s and don'ts
3. Make sure you take your time and do it right the first time eg: proper compaction

LWNMWR1
03-23-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by hcarter62
The company that supplied me with the materials was All Pro. I found the material easy to work with and the company fairly pro-active. Word of caution:
1. You are going to need some specialized equipment
2. There is definitely a learning curve on do' s and don'ts
3. Make sure you take your time and do it right the first time eg: proper compaction

not to be an idoit but could you elaborate a little. i'm guessing that there is considerably more prep work up here than they show for the georgia area!! something like doing a great brick walk or aptio perhaps. talked with a gyuy about natural greens and he told me 2' to 3' of stone with fabric and the sandy loam. sound like overkill? beating the frost must be the key.

hcarter62
03-23-2003, 08:49 PM
A patio or brick wall really does not have anything to do with the putting green, those are just cosmetic adders! Although if you have the skill and time they could be quite profitable.

What I was talking about was the ground prep. Even though I still have two feet of snow over my test green I feel 2 to 3 feet of stone dust is extremely excessive. I think 4 inches of stone dust with good compaction will be adequate.
What I was alluding to was that you need the right equipment. You don't go into the high rent district with a skid steer, rip up the lawn and get referrals

LWNMWR1
03-27-2003, 12:44 PM
hcarter, i got my info from allpro. couple of questions. do you use that black beauty sand? is it not the hazardous stuff the talked about in the brochure?? and all you did was put the 4" sub of granite dust sown??? i feel that you would want to have some 3/4 or 1" aggregate un der there for added drainage and help keeping the frost out. do you plan on having to roll the green in the spring??

mdvaden
03-30-2003, 12:26 PM
In Oregon, and probably Washington and California, artificial putting greens probably cannot be advertised or installed without a contractors license.

I am guessing that the Oregon landscape license won't cover it either.

Its not "planting" nor "mulching".

Possibly it could be called a "patio" which landscaper can install in Oregon with that license.

Otherwise, using hardware type materials, it may require a construction license in Oregon.

In Oregon, landscapers can put in real putting greens.