PDA

View Full Version : New Flyer - What'd'ya'll think?

JimLewis
03-18-2003, 07:14 PM
Hey guys. I just had a new full color flyer designed for us. I wanted some feedback. Here is the proof;

http://proof.hiresstudios.com/lewislandscape/

Personally, I think it looks pretty good. But there are a few things I am having changed. The top of the front page doesn't display our company image at all. If you know anything our company, everything's bright red and white (just see our website - below). Trucks, Uniforms, etc. That's how people know us. So I am having the design team change that.

Second, I thought the two lower pictures on the front page were rather lame. Part of that's my fault because all of the nice pictures I've taken of jobs we've done (e.g. the ones on our website) all have too low of resolution to use for printing purposes. So all the studio could work with is stuff I had taken pictures of with a normal camera. And it wasn't much. Anyway, I didn't really like those bottom pictures too much so we're looking at replacing those with something else, possibly even a generic landscape photo from their stock of photos.

Any other thoughts on the flyers?

BTW, I know it's gonna get asked so I might as well tell you know - I am paying about $500 for the design and $1000 for 10K copies, front and back 8.5" x 11". So about $1500 total. Successive printings will only be $1000, as the design is done already. Contact information for the company I used is at the bottom of the proof page above.

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape
03-18-2003, 08:30 PM
:blob3: Those are some very nice flyers!!!You should get alot of peoples attentin with those.

gogetter
03-18-2003, 08:45 PM
Jim, it will look great once they make those changes you mentioned!
Very nice.
How do you handle the price estimates on the back? Do you have to hand write each individual one for each property???

Rob T
03-19-2003, 12:16 AM
OK, I have one small suggestion. The sentence "Why not give them a try too." just doesn't sound right to me.

How about: Give us the opportunity, we'll show you great results. or Give us a try, we guarantee you'll be satisfied.

The rest looks great though...nice job. Those should pickup some high end jobs.

Mykster
03-19-2003, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by jimlewis
BTW, I know it's gonna get asked so I might as well tell you know - I am paying about $500 for the design and $1000 for 10K copies, front and back 8.5" x 11". So about $1500 total. Successive printings will only be $1000, as the design is done already. Contact information for the company I used is at the bottom of the proof page above.

I was just thinking how much it would cost to print a with all that color when I was looking at them.

NICE JOB!!

Tidycut
03-19-2003, 10:52 AM
I think the flyer looks very nice, professional and clean.

Since you asked for some feedback and you seem to be a straightforward person looking for an honest critique, something I myself would appreciate. I do have a few suggestions as far as the wording goes.

Generally I believe the words you, your and us are used to often.

“Do you find you have too little time to keep your landscape looking the way you’d like it to look?”
Perhaps consider omitting – “Do you find you have.”
To - Too little time to keep your landscape looking the way you’d like it to look?

I prefer short concise questions to grab the customer’s attention.

“With us on the job, your landscape will always look top notch.”
Maybe – We pride ourselves in making your landscape look top notch.

“Why not give them a try too?”
I think the word them should be changed to us.

Overall, again I like to look of the flyer but would add a little more textual substance to the services you provide. And I have no doubt in a few days you’ll have a slick polished flyer. Good luck.

Rick

P.S. I’m guessing the curly tree that appears on the back of the flyer was trained to grow that way. I’ve seen some strange looking trees here in the swamp, but nothing like that.

JimLewis
03-19-2003, 12:51 PM
I like to look of the flyer but would add a little more textual substance to the services you provide. Well, I am trying actually to get AWAY from so much text. In the past, my flyers have been way too text rich. It was overkill. And although I prefer a lot of information, most people don't. Most people are not so analytical. And they aren't going to bother reading a bunch of text. I've had two different marketing companies examine our previous flyers and tell me that. And they both recommended I go with a flyer that had a lot less text and a lot more graphics or pictures. So that's the reason for this format.
P.S. I’m guessing the curly tree that appears on the back of the flyer was trained to grow that way. I’ve seen some strange looking trees here in the swamp, but nothing like that. LOL. Yah, that's a 'Weeping Blue Atlas Cedar'. Cedrus Atlantica Glauca Pendula. The tree itself is a cultivar, not natural. And this one in particular was trained in that fashoin, yes. They are rare but you still see them in a lot of the nicer homes around these parts. The nurseries always have a few in stock. You can form them into all sorts of shapes. I'll attach a picture below of another one. The shape on the flyer is called "serpentine".

Clay
03-19-2003, 02:47 PM
Hi Jim,

Your pictures are GREAT! Love the river rock for the bed borders!!!

I'm surprised that your marketing companies did not comment on two very important aspects:

First, The "voice" of your message should remain consistent instead of jumping from first to third voice (us to they).... It is always more believeable to write in the third person as if someone else was reporting on your service...

Second, After showing an advantage to using your service you must "prove it"... While the pictures may give a proof of your work quality (nice), they don't tell about the rest of your service like testimonials can.... Simple one line testimonials from happy customers is the easiest way to prove your worth.... (after getting attention, testimonials are probably the single most important part of advertising)...

As I believe you have read in my posts before, all good advertisements should include the following:

Get Attention
Show an advantage
Prove it
Persuade to grasp the advantage
Ask for action

Good luck and please let us know how they work for you...

Clay

PS... In case you are wondering, I owned a marketing company a few years back and studied the most successful advertisers in history... Victor Schwab, Robert Collier, Gary Halbert... etc. So I'm not just shooting from the hip... :-)

MOW ED
03-19-2003, 03:18 PM
No suggestions from me those are top shelf flyers. You are gonna make that money up in no time. Very nice!

JimLewis
03-20-2003, 03:35 PM
Here is the final copy I ended up with.

http://proof.hiresstudios.com/lewislandscapefinal/

I have implemented a lot of your suggestions, thanks! Some suggestions I just didn't have room to include. So this is what I ended up with and I am pretty happy with it. Goes to press today or tomorrow and we'll start handing them out next week or the week after. Although I don't know why, we're already getting tons of leads every day. I've landed 5 new accounts just in the last 5 days.

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape
03-20-2003, 07:33 PM
Those flyers are great!!!Let us know what kinda responce you get.:D

JimLewis
03-20-2003, 07:41 PM
I've landed 5 new accounts just in the last 5 days. Make that 7!! just landed 2 more today. Man, we are getting freaking B-U-S-Y!

nlminc
03-20-2003, 09:02 PM
Garbage Jim...redue that whole flyer! lol As usual another excellent example from a quality landscape Co. out west!

love it