PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Sod

cturner
03-19-2003, 12:53 AM
I AM JUST STARTING OUT IN THE BIZ SOLO AND I HAVE DONE SOME SOD WORK BEFORE BUT NOTHING LIKE THIS, I HAVE A CUSTOMER THAT WANTS ME TO SOD HER YARD THATS ABOUT 7,500 SQ.FT IT'S A BRAND NEW HOME SO IT STILL HAS THAT ROCKY,CLAY, GROUND WITH ALL THE ROOTS AND JUNK IN IT. I HAVE ONLY DONE PATCH WORK WITH SOD IN THE PAST WHAT WILL IT TAKE TO DO THIS

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED THANK YOU

cturner
03-19-2003, 01:49 AM
AND IT'S ALSO JUST ME AND MY PARTNER SO I DON'T HAVE MUCH MAN POWER, HOW LONG DO U THINK THIS JOB WOULD TAKE:confused:

timturf
03-19-2003, 10:35 AM
SOIL TEST, correct any soil chemistry problems, reduce compaction, and educate client on care!

When I sod, I get my supplier to lay sod, while I oversee for proper installation.

Son-in-law
03-19-2003, 10:45 PM
Your biggest problem will be preparing the ground. If you don't have a good tiller check out rental on a dingo & tiller around here they run about $120/day + $70/day for tiller. A small skid steer would be a little more. Your looking at 850 yds. so delivery might be best. Figure out how much detail you'll go into getting rid of the debris, and what will you do with it. Usually, I figure 2 guys can put down 100 yds in 1 hour if they don't have to cut alot. Also, need to educate client about care WATERING.

DaddyRabbit
03-19-2003, 11:56 PM
If your client is interested in spending enough $ to put sod down then tell her to go the extra mile and lay about 2'' of topsoil down in the yard so her sod will continue to look good through the years. I don't care how good people say they are when they say they can smooth it out w/a skid steer or tractor, plan on getting about 2 or 3 guys and give them landscaping rakes to smooth out the areas in question. Don't worry, they'll be plenty. Rent a compact tractor w/a 4in1 bucket and a harley rake or a skid steer w/the same attachments. As for how long the job would take well, the fat lady would be singing at the end of the day. Sod in rolls make life soo much better BTW.

SWR11
03-20-2003, 01:09 AM
I agree with daddyrabit

Don't forget about all the debris that you will have to remove from the site. Make sure to allow yourself enough time to do the job right

Mykster
03-20-2003, 02:55 AM
A big job like that, you should ask you're sod distributer if they can cut to longer lengths.

timturf
03-20-2003, 07:30 AM
If topsoil or om is add make sure you incorporate it into existing soil. Advise having sombody else lay sod. Research, watch, and supervise, make sure it is installed properly

ipm
03-20-2003, 08:45 AM
total of 4 guys and one machine operator/ 14 pallets. Should take you less than a day. I assume it will be fescue??? This will make the job even easier.

Have your skid operator rough it in and remove debris with hand rakes. I only use harley or rockhounds on large jobs. Good luck.

timturf
03-20-2003, 12:17 PM
IPM,

YOU are assuming fescue, but which one??

I think we assume too much on this site!!!!
Big difference in knowledge!!!

ipm
03-22-2003, 06:35 AM
I mean you called me on it:D I never assume. An older wise man told me one time. "Don't ever assume, because when you assume it makes an *** out of U and ME.

No telling what type? Most of the time the fescue sods have a mesh inside so they are easier to work.