PDA

View Full Version : Garden Tilling prices?

o-so-n-so
03-19-2003, 12:09 PM
Hey fellows,
Here's my deal. Bought new tractor and tiller. I now offer tilling garden spots in my area.
I want to offer a fair price, not a cheap price. I want to justify the purchase of this tractor and this is about 1/16 of the way I plan to do that.
Give me some feed back on price as per area. thanks

Tractor is a John Deere 4510 39hp with a JD660 5' tiller.

First add went in the local paper today, and people are already calling. Not many people do that in this area.

Later

iowapride
03-19-2003, 02:20 PM
I have a John Deere 4100 and 450 tiller. I charge a minumum of $15. Range is from $15-$50.

Remsen1
03-19-2003, 03:44 PM

Remsen1
03-19-2003, 03:44 PM
With a big rig like that I would charge a minimum of $75. $75 for up to 60 linear feet. Then somewhere around $.80- $1.10 per linear ft. Soil condition prior to arrival would play a big factor in determining the price.

Reduce the minimum if they make arrangements with other neighbors to do all of them at the same time.

We've considered adding this service, but the equipment is expensive! Customers should appreciate the expense.

crawdad
03-20-2003, 06:06 AM
Make a minimum charge, and an hourly rate. I rototilled when I was in Mass. in the 80's, and used to hear, "The other guy used to charge 15 dollars." I would reply that he must have gone out of business, from not charging enough to fix his machine. Rototilling is hard on a machine, and should be charged accordingly.
See how much the local rental places charge for a back-breaking walk-behind, half-day rental. See if you can do it for around the same price. Sell it as such. "For the same money, you can bust yer @ss, or you can sit there and watch me till it." It worked for me. I don't till any more, as it is the season to be picking up lawns, and there are a lot of people with full sized farm tractors here in East Tennessee, that can out-do my Gravely rider tractor with a three foot tiller.
Crawdad

hosejockey2002
03-20-2003, 11:00 PM
Iowapride, how can you afford a $15 minimum??:dizzy: I have a fairly small tractor and I charge $40 an hour with a $100 minimum charge. License, bond and insurance cost too much to charge less. Most legit guys won't even mow a small lawn for $15.

RJS Compact Tractor Services

iowapride
03-21-2003, 04:45 PM
I live in a small town of 1600. Most of mine are within driving distance(on tractor) within each other. In this small town if I charge a minimum of $40 dolllars they are going to have a huge problem with it more less $100 for a 20 by 20 garden.

grassdaddy
03-21-2003, 06:34 PM
Was discussing this with dad a couple weeks ago.He bought a new farmall 140 in 1960 or so turned gardens for 3 or 4 dollars a piece.I think they about starved before he became buildning contractor.;)

leadarrows
03-21-2003, 08:29 PM
I plowed my first garden for pay in 1964. I charged $20.00 back then.I never have worried too much about the size. Most gardens I have done over the years just are not big enough to worry about that. The time it takes you to get there, unload, etc. is what you really need to get payed for. Thats why I would agree that getting neighbors at the same time would effect my minimum. Last year it was $60.00. I think $75.00 sounds about right.

Gordon
04-27-2003, 12:09 PM
Tilling like bushhogging or other tractor services are going to vary quite a bit around the country. Bottom line is what the market is going to bear. Now if that number is too low to make a decent profit then you might want to look elsewhere for your profit numbers.

When I'm tilling I don't charge by the hour. Always charge by the job. I've invested alot of money in equipment so when I get it out of the barn I"m going to make money with it or it's going to stay parked. By the job price doesn't corner you to a set number of profit per hour.

Another thing that I try to do is to lump gardens in my schedule. That way less travel time means more profit. I've only been tilling gardens for a few years and it's turned out to be a pretty good money maker so far. Just hope it stays that way.

Gordon

FrankenScagMachines
07-14-2003, 02:23 PM
$20 min./service trip charge for this little guy with a $40/hr rate ($20 gets you the first 1/2 hr of work).

FrankenScagMachines
07-14-2003, 02:30 PM
And $25 minimum for this big hoss with $50/hr rate (again, $25 gets you first half hour). Rarely have to use the little one because this one being a 36" gets into pretty tight spots. The hydro drive and lift is nice :cool: 20hp Onan powers that 36" tiller nicely, would be cool to have a 48" tiller to drop on there for larger areas but Wheel Horse only makes the 36". BTW, the little Craftsman in the previous pic is the only Craftsman power equipment machine I've had good luck with. That thing fires first pull every time and I don't "store" it over winter either! It's 3.5hp Tecumseh but it runs like my Kawi, and it's 18", nice for cultivating.

JohnatAllBrite
07-15-2003, 07:45 PM
I agree, Tilling like any other tractor related work...if you can't charge enough for the job, let the machine just sit at home. It is also the drive time you need to be charging for to, if it is several miles away. Most of my work is 1/2 to 3/4 hour away from my shop....we have a kubota L-35 loader/hoe & can use 3pt attachments too....charge is 90.00 per hour (in SW Va) and I get it no problem, although there are many price shoppers here, there are also many who want professional & insurred contractors doing the work

RICHIE K
10-13-2004, 06:30 AM
HERE IN JERSEY WE CHARGE $1.25 PER FT

RICHIE K

www.kulakandcompany.com :blob3: