PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on possible Business Name

Navig8r
03-19-2003, 07:06 PM
OK... so I started in the biz on my own late last season...
"Legalizing" everything right now.
Problem is I am having trouble deciding on a business name.

I will be registered as a sole Proprietor.
Main business will be Mowing, spring/fall cleanups, hedge trimming, small planting/mulching jobs.

I would like to leave the door open with my name for whatever growth I decide to take on in the future, possibly acquire applicator's license in a couple years, etc....

Some Ideas I've had are as follows, Please give me your HONEST opinions on them, or any suggestions for variations!

Emerald Acres Lawn & Landscape
Picture Perfect Lawn & Landscape
Majestic Property Maintenance

I really value the input I see here on LS.... THANKS TO ALL !!

:drinkup:

wojo23323
03-20-2003, 08:05 AM
I like Picture Perfect Lawn & Landscape.

rodfather
03-20-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by wojo23323
I like Picture Perfect Lawn & Landscape.

Me too. Only problem I see (past experience) in using "Property Maintenance" in your biz name is some people will think you also do gutter cleaning, snow plowing, pool cleaning, window washing, etc.

GraZZmaZter
03-20-2003, 02:17 PM
I like 3

Mike Bradbury
03-20-2003, 05:42 PM
I went for the "established" effect by using my county in the name.
Allen County Turf & Landscape.
It's not "catchy" but it sounds like it's "been around" for awhile, according to the SCORE guy I talked to. FWIW

(I pick Picture Perfect too):blob4:

Navig8r
03-20-2003, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the input guys..... any others??????

Mike, I thought alot about a reference to the region I live in / or / County... But I live in a VERY large county (over 500 sq. miles) so I don't want to get calls from or imply that I work in the whole county. Also, the names including the county, or the region (Mid-Hudson Valley........) are really played out.. everyone in every business seems to use them.

Rodfather... I agree w/ your comment... I was thinking the same.... while snow-plowing may become a future venture, I don't want to overly attract requests for work I don't do, then turn it down...... not good for the reputation.

Thanks again for the help!!!!

drobson
03-20-2003, 11:22 PM
I agree also, Picture Perfect sounds good.

Mike Bradbury
03-21-2003, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Navig8r
county. Also, the names including the county, or the region (Mid-Hudson Valley........) are really played out.. everyone in every business seems to use them.

That's the idea! You are instantly granted the same "established business" respect as the oldest company using that name!
When you pick a company that you don't know anything about out of a phone book, what is it that makes you pick that company?
A name that brings to mind established, solid, honest,etc
OR for the non thinkers...AAA whatever :)
It wasn't my first choice, but after talking to this guy. (30+ years in marketing), I decided to go with the "expert".
This is my first year at it fulltime, been working on the side(no name) for years. We're not even working yet and I've already had 2 people say "oh yeh, I've heard of you"!
I LIKE IT :blob2: :blob1: :blob4: :blob3:

Navig8r
03-21-2003, 06:31 PM
Mike... OK, makes sense to me now... I was just not thinkin that way before... Thanks.
I'll consider something along those lines.. that's a good point.......

hmmmmm... I guess it's back to thinkin again....

wacamaster
03-23-2003, 04:37 PM
My buddy owns Picture Perfect Lawn Care.... you might not be able to register the name. I don't know how it works for different states though. He also owns Picture Perfect Carpet Cleaning.

Navig8r
03-23-2003, 08:43 PM
Wacamaster... Thanks for the input.
Can I assume he's in Michigan also.....

I do not think I would have a problem from state to state, being registered as a DBA (Sole Proprietor)

I guess I'll find out this week.