PDA

View Full Version : Delaware

stslawncare
03-21-2003, 05:58 PM
hey guys, just wondering who all here is from Delaware??? where at in delaware also??

For those who are in Delaware or close by just wondering when everyone thinks we will be able to do our first cutting???? When would be a good time to aerate and overseed? dethatch and fertilize also for that matter??? i am newer so still not completely up to par with my times. i know that all of this rain will have some effect on your answers to the above questions.
thanks for your help

stslawncare
03-24-2003, 08:14 AM
anyone?

TurfTamer
03-26-2003, 11:35 PM
Scott,

I run my biz out of Newark, but generally service everything above the C&D, and a little below. Have one customer asking for a cut this week and it looks like a few will definitely be ready next.

Aerate dethatch and over-seed now if you have the time, the rain will help with seed germination, and if you advertising, you'll be too busy cutting in a couple weeks.

I have already applied a fertilizer to my lawns with a combination fert/herbicide to go down in about 3 weeks. It has both pre-emergent and post-emergent herbicide in it so I will get better crabgrass control thru the summer. If you are doing applications in the Newark area, Check out Lesco. the guys are very helpful

Danny

stslawncare
03-27-2003, 10:54 AM
hey, it is great to find somone else on here from delaware and thanks for your help. my plan is to do my aerating and such next week and begin mowing soon after depending on the weather of course. question, is it better mow the lawn once before doing aerating and dethatching and seeding? how soon after do you mow after you overseed.

sgallaher
03-29-2003, 04:22 PM
Hey guys, I too am in Delaware around the Newark/Glasgow area. This is my first year and am still working on obtaining clients. I have a couple am looking at doing the first cut next week sometime. I do this part time. My full time job is as an EMT in Wilmington so I work 2/2/4 schedule there.

Steve

Craftybigdog
04-02-2003, 10:50 PM
Hello guys hows the business treating you? Im down here a little south of Middletown!

stslawncare
04-03-2003, 09:22 AM
hey guys, for the first time i have been asked to give a price for the enitre year. about how many cuttings a year do we get to do. i cnt get an accurate number from my records last year because of the weather, drought and all that other good stuff. any help would be greatly appreciated.

sgallaher
04-04-2003, 06:11 PM
Got another account today.

bob
04-05-2003, 10:33 PM
I'm also in the Newark/Glasgow area. This year I got rid of all my residential customers( except for 2 of them ) so I can concentrate on the commercial accounts.

sgallaher
04-06-2003, 10:05 PM
Hey Bob, if any of your residentials that you got rid of need a new lco, let me know, that would be great. Going tomorrow to do an estimate on aeration.

sgallaher
04-06-2003, 11:40 PM
Where do you guys buy your sod from and waht price.

stslawncare
04-07-2003, 09:21 AM
i dont think any of you are doing any aerating sod or anything for that matter, might want to think about getting the sanders out though. is this weather crazy or what??? when do you think we will be getting back to work?? 2 weeks???

sgallaher
04-08-2003, 03:44 PM
I am planning on doing an aeration job this weekend if the weather holds and cutting next week unless the rain stops by thursday.

sgallaher
04-12-2003, 10:56 PM
Started cutting today, finally. Have you guys started cutting yet?

Turf n Dirt
04-02-2004, 06:13 PM
:cool:
Hope everyone made it through the 5 months of winter. Should be a great season. TurfTamer, I think I see your add alot. Does the journal give you any kind of break?

I'm just doing small jobs, but have a 60" ZTR if anyone gets in a bind, (or wants to give up that 10 acre lot...yeah right)).

Aerator, overseeder, log splitter,36" WB etc.........
Stayin local Newark this year, gas is crazy.
Good luck all..

stslawncare
04-02-2004, 08:57 PM
hey guys, steve i heard your full time now? how are the gas prices down there? we are around 1.75 here

Drafto
04-06-2004, 07:31 AM
I am located in North Wilmington, most of my work however is in Southern Delaware County PA. I have 24 residential customers and I am looking to expand, the name of my company is Earth Groomers. I have had a few requests to cut this week, I am trying to hold everyone off until Friday so I can start my schedule on track. I am looking for a sub to give some tree work to if anyone knows someone please let me know. 302-793-3432. Also, I have never run an ad, all of my customers have come word of mouth, does the News Journal work? CraftBigDog, any better luck with the lowballers, business picking up?

Dan

Joe25
04-07-2004, 10:59 PM
I have been doing cleanups, mulch, aerating, and seeding for the past month. I am heading out tomorrow to cut. Good luck to you all this season. Majority of work is in North Wilmington.

Drafto
04-08-2004, 03:24 PM
Joe25, what is the name of your company?

raystreet
04-12-2004, 04:47 PM
A&B HOW FAR SOUTH OF MIDDLETOWN ARE YOU I AM 6 MILES NORTH OF MIDDLETOWN

BUTTERFLY LAWN CARE INC

sgallaher
04-12-2004, 11:46 PM
Yeah, I am full time this year, so far so good. Keeping busy.

sgallaher
04-14-2004, 06:45 PM
Anybody going to the Aquascape Build A Pond Day this Friday in Frankford, DE? I'll be going. It should be interesting.

Craftybigdog
04-14-2004, 11:23 PM
Im located in Smyrna!

sgallaher
04-16-2004, 10:01 PM
I just posted pics in the pond section of the build a pond day. Check them out.

Steve

stslawncare
04-20-2004, 11:10 AM
How is everyone making out? getting mowing accounts here in wilmington is a little on the slow side but landscape jobs are amazing this year. I work in west chester and we are on our 2nd and even 3rd cuts on a few lawns.

Scraper
04-20-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by stslawncare
How is everyone making out? getting mowing accounts here in wilmington is a little on the slow side but landscape jobs are amazing this year. I work in west chester and we are on our 2nd and even 3rd cuts on a few lawns.

Hey Scottie...got a lawn up the street from you uncles place...drive by it once a week...god does it smell. LOL I could smell it at the neighborhood which is at least a mile or so away.

stslawncare
04-21-2004, 10:27 PM
hey, uncle got out of the topsoil business and now they are going out of business or something like that in the next year or so i believe. i am not sure of the whole story. now he just cleans out the houses and in the oil business

FGM350
04-25-2004, 08:39 PM
Anyone from the dover area? With all the housing going up in the dover area has there been a higher demand in maintenance or landscaping?

mow-lawns
06-15-2004, 11:06 AM
From Bear area in Delaware. Claymont @ lunch time (mow during my lunch break, too)

Just starting out.

Looking for a small commercial mower (32" - 36")

Big enough to go faster, small enough to still get through gates in residential accounts.