PDA

View Full Version : spring clean up

JTS lawn care
03-21-2003, 07:11 PM
i was wondering what most of you guys do for spring clean up i charge $17 an hour for spring clean up does that sound good for a price.

ksland
03-21-2003, 07:14 PM
Tell me you are joking please?

I get anywhere from $30-50 a man hour for cleanups.:eek:

cos
03-21-2003, 07:44 PM
$17 an hour?

Better keep reading here before your dreams of being a businessman deminish.

NYRookie
03-21-2003, 07:44 PM
You are doing alot of work for nothing. I charge around $50/hour. More if I have to haul more than 1 truck load away.

LB Landscaping
03-21-2003, 08:21 PM
$17 per hour is WAY too low. I get at least $30 per hour per man. What are you using for equipment???

paponte
03-21-2003, 09:12 PM
Oh man... please read some pricing posts before you go out tomorrow morning. :realmad:

Lawnboy5
03-21-2003, 09:14 PM
$35 here! How is it worth your time to work for that?

double e
03-21-2003, 09:26 PM
Depending on how big the job- We do a Leaf clean-up for a doctor, 8 acres of leaves. I only charge him $20 per man hr., $35 per equip. hr, and $45 per tractor hr. with 7 ft. rake. I can leave the leaves at the job site.

On other jobs I don't include hauling leaves away in with my man hr. rate. I charge by the dump truck load- usaully 40-60 per load. And I try to get at least $25 per man hr.- and more for equip.

ksland
03-21-2003, 09:27 PM
Now I will be having nightmares of receiving a check for $136 after me and an employee spending 4 hours on a cleanup! :eek:

double e
03-21-2003, 09:28 PM
I want to also say that if someone calls, I'm a minimum of 25 per hr.- but most of time I give bids for the job, and I cover myself in every way, it then usaully is around 30-45 per hr.

Nozzleman
03-21-2003, 09:41 PM
JTS, I checked you profile and I see you 18. I take it your just starting in the landscaping buisness. First of all, for us to help you out with pricing you need to tell us what you running for equipment. Personally I get between $40-50 per man hour. I have 2 48'' mowers, 11HP Little Wonder blower, backpack blower, handheld blower, and assorted rakes. I just got a new truck with a E-Z Dumper so this fall I will be buying a truck loader and building a leaf box which may mean I will need to adjust my rates. If you are only using a rake and a handheld blower you may need to charge by the yard itself instead of per/hour.

ksland
03-21-2003, 10:10 PM
Well, if thats the case he has no overhead and can probably pull that off OK for now. I would at least start at $20. Thats what I did at first, got my name out and worked prices up a little each year to the standard. This allowed me to equip myself accordingly

Runner
03-21-2003, 10:10 PM
I wish you were closer to me. I'd pay you $18 an hour all day everyday to run your equipment doing spring cleanups for me. It can't be done for that. Research your own business, do your numbers, and you'll find it can't even be done. First, do yourself a favor, and get yourself some insurance. It's cheap, especially for a small little operation,, they'll work with you on it, and base it on your gross income. Second, by the time you pay your taxes on this, you're down to 12. (that's before your insurance rate is divided and deducted out of it). Now, you have wear and tear on your equipment, fuel, parts and service, dumping fees, and other expenses that do not even OCCUR at the jobsite like office expenditures, phone, shop, etc. Really, if you are going to get into this, do your research, and don't short yourself. You will be miles ahead to learn this now like you are, rather than realize it 3/4 of the way through the season. For that much, you'd be much further ahead just to go work for someone. Now, if you ever need any advice on anything, inCLUDing technique and such to save labor and time, don't hesitate to ask. I'm right over in Flint. Good luck!

LawnGuy73
03-21-2003, 11:48 PM
We charge $110.00 minimum, and $70.00 an hour

JTS lawn care
03-22-2003, 12:34 AM
thanks for the advise i guess i will raise my prices a little i also am running 2 mowers with 48"decks 14.5 - 16 hp couple of hand blowers and rakes.

paponte
03-22-2003, 01:52 AM
Are you taking the debris away also? :confused:

MOW ED
03-22-2003, 07:56 AM
I am hoping that you read thru some of the posts here and then visit E-bay and put the hand blowers up for auction. The next step is to take the hand rakes and place them at the curbside with a sticker on them that says FREE.

When the money comes in from E-bay, take it and buy 1 commercial backpack blower (your choice of manufacturers).

You now are 1 bigger step closer to becoming productive.

From that you have to start figuring out your costs of doing business and after you pay for insurance, taxes, licenses, fuel, rent, maintenance, office expenses you have to make a PROFIT. The range for an hourly rate is about 25.00(low low end) to +100.00 depending on where you are and what you are doing but you have to know your costs.
I'm not hammering you here but if you are gonna be a legit business then you have to equip yourself to be a legit business. The equipment is in your trailer and in your office.

Stay with us here and help make the industry better. Anyone can start a Lawncare business, making money at it and continuing to grow a business take lots of work.

Lots of reading to do, Good Luck.

ladibugg
03-22-2003, 08:34 AM
Runner...it's time to change your tag line. Winter is over. Spring has arrived.
Oh wait, you're in Flint, you can wait another month.

JTS...are'nt these guys great?

navyman
03-22-2003, 08:36 AM
you are from Grand Rapids? that explains it, they won't pay much more than that there,I am in the central area and have a hard time getting 25$ /hr per man for clean ups, alot of my customers are from the Detroit area and think that we should be able to work for half of what they charge in the metro area, but we can't,

Pape's Landscape Maintenance
03-22-2003, 08:41 AM
Our rates start at $100.00, hell for $17.00 an hour i'll hire you to do my yard. lol
:blob3: :dizzy: :blob4:

Steve

Leone LawnCare
03-22-2003, 09:56 AM
i plan on raking this apring because a blower cant blow anything that is matted down and wet

lawnkid
03-22-2003, 01:03 PM
Hey Great LakesLawnandSnow,
How do you get those prices. I'm not to far from you in Euclid. I looked at the prices in my area and they range from $30-$40. I charge $30 fror spring cleanup and $40 for Fall cleanup. How in the world do you get those prices. And I felt bad giving people $300 invoices for just one cleanup on a 20,000 sq. ft. yard. Oh well.

JTS lawn care
03-22-2003, 02:37 PM
i will be taking the debris away but i am charging them extra to take it away. you guys are great i tryed doing this with another site and the guys would not even help you. thanks

JTS lawn care
03-22-2003, 02:50 PM
i rake up along the roads where the plows when and pick up leaves that were left over and trimming up the trees and bushes. i was wondering if that is what most of you guys do to no one has really said anything on that. thanks

Leone LawnCare
03-22-2003, 02:51 PM
how do u use blowers when the leaves are so matted down? i am going to rake

Dave's Lawn Service
03-22-2003, 04:21 PM
If it's a regular customer i get 30 - 60 an hour. If the customer just wants a spring clean-up it's 200min. :blob3:

Runner
03-22-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by ladibugg
Runner...it's time to change your tag line. Winter is over. Spring has arrived.
Oh wait, you're in Flint, you can wait another month.

Ok! Rub it in!!! :D You ARE very right though, time for a change....It's done.

mikesjumpingin
03-22-2003, 09:40 PM
Sticky leaves...

Everyone is responding to my door hangers wanting to know if I do spring clean up. I'm trying to figure out how to clean up these yards. We were covered in snow before people got their yards cleaned in the fall...

Looks like the job has to be done by hand every where I go, and most people show me where I can dump everything without hauling.

What is a typical solo, hand-rake, clean-up hourly rate for such a job?

Do you guys know any tricks for getting these yards cleaned up?