PDA

View Full Version : Prices for Removing Sod?

Farbio
03-21-2003, 06:33 PM
I usually charge around $1 per square ft. to install sod depending on the terrain. My question is how much do I charge to remove and haul away sod using a sod cutter. The area is 4,000 sq. ft. , flat, and easy to get to. What should I charge per sq. ft. for this type of work? :)

dforbes
03-21-2003, 11:21 PM
what type of equiptment do you own or rent for this job. removing 4000 sq ft of sod is a big job if you do it all by hand. do you have a place close to dump it? be careful I lost my a## on removing sod before. It can take a long time if you don't have the proper equiptment.

Farbio
03-22-2003, 04:12 AM
dforbes

I am going to rent the biggest sod cutter the rental place has. Do you know a cheap way to get rid of sod? I am going to bid this job high just in case things don't go so smoothly.

DaleL
03-22-2003, 10:01 AM
A buck a foot!!! Wow that's great if you can get that! Around here half that would be, in some cases, considered high. I'm starting a 4,000 sf job on Monday that I bid last fall at $2100. That includes stripping the existing , hauling away, and installing. Hope this is useful, if not...oh well! :dizzy:

SWR11
03-22-2003, 12:26 PM
Hey DAle what gear do you use? How much time does it take? A day?

dforbes
03-22-2003, 03:19 PM
we can usually find places in our area looking for clean fill. They will take sod for free. for 4000 sq. Ft of sod I would consider renting a bobcat to clean it up with after you cut it. you are talking about a big job. Also if you have access to a dumptruck it would be helpful.
Dennis

Mike Bradbury
03-22-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by dforbes
we can usually find places in our area looking for clean fill. They will take sod for free. for 4000 sq. Ft of sod I would consider renting a bobcat to clean it up with after you cut it. you are talking about a big job. Also if you have access to a dumptruck it would be helpful.
Dennis

right? One guy driving slowly while another guy picks up part of the strip and "feeds" it into the bucket. Piece of cake.

DaleL
03-22-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by SWR11
Hey DAle what gear do you use? How much time does it take? A day?

I TRY TO USE HIGH GEAR most of the time! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Sorry, I couldn't hep m'self!

:dizzy: On a much more serious note - I usually get a Ryan or Turfco sod cutter from the local rental shop. Depending on how much help I have I usually figure on blowing the day on that size job.

Fer sure a dumptruck is a great asset if you have one. The Bobcat or other bucket equipped piece is also nice for the already mentioned reason.

DaleL

Lawnboy5
03-22-2003, 06:27 PM
why don't you just use the bobcat and take it out that way? Get a bucket with teeth and you will be done in a hour.

Farbio
03-22-2003, 10:09 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I think a sod cutter, bobcat, and a dump truck will do the trick. But none of you have said what you would charge per square foot. I would appreciate some input. Thanks.:cool:

hosejockey2002
03-22-2003, 11:48 PM
The amount I would charge would depend on 1) my cost of renting sod cutter 2)cost of renting Bobcat 3)location of dump site and cost of trucking 4) How long it would take to do the job x my hourly rate. In other words, I can't say how much I would charge because of all the variables. If you can't get a truck near the site your costs will go up because it will take longer to load. If the job site is far from the dump site your trucking costs will go up. Equipment rental costs vary by region. 4K sq. ft. of sod I'm thinking will weigh upwards of 20 tons, so figure on one tandem axle dump truck with trailer. BTW, where in Wa. are you?

Mike Bradbury
03-23-2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Lawnboy5
why don't you just use the bobcat and take it out that way? Get a bucket with teeth and you will be done in a hour.

A bucket, especially with teeth, would tear the heck out of the existing soil. You'd have to grade it after. Point of using a sod cutter is to get a flat surface without stripping all the topsoil.

Mike Bradbury
03-23-2003, 01:26 AM
We have a garden refuse recycling center close that charges $16 ton. The local landfill is $36 a ton and a 1/2 hour each way. Size truck? My 1 ton would take 3 or 4 trips to haul that, big truck , one. Distance to rental yard, topsoil. etc etc etc
Wouldn't "think" it would take more than 2-3 hrs to do the stripping itself, (2 men) with a bucket to haul it and a dump to load it.
"I" (with my variables) would figure 1/2 day (taking loads to the close recycling place) for the stripping phase.

fblandscape
03-23-2003, 02:57 AM
If you have a yard, why not haul the sod back there and dump it into a pile? Compost it over a few years and sell it back to your customers later on. Turn that liability into a profit center, and become environmentally responsible.