PDA

View Full Version : WEEDEATER LINE

WALKERMOW
09-02-2000, 01:58 PM
hey guys i have heard that if you condition your line it will help it not weld together and that it will last longer ..does anyone know about this and if so what do you use to condition your line with..

accuratelawn
09-02-2000, 02:10 PM
If you soak your line in water it will help.
I use Shindaiwa trimmer line and never have a problem with welding!

Eric ELM
09-02-2000, 04:13 PM
We use the .105 Echo Cross Fire in our Shindaiwa trimmers and never have any welding problems either. The .105 will hold up much better than the .095 and it's not that much bigger in size. I've also heard of soaking it in water to condition the string, but what I can't understand is how can water do anything to make string last longer. As hot as it is and as long as it takes to use up a spool full in the trimmer, it's dry in a few seconds. Can anyone explain this to me? Thanks

bob
09-02-2000, 04:56 PM
I think if you buy good quality line you shouldn't have any problems. I'm using Veri brand(the same company that makes heads)and have never had a weld problem. My line is .095 round that I got on ebay. 5lb spool $5. I couldn't go wrong with that!

mowerman90
09-02-2000, 11:13 PM
Eric,

The line will "absorb" moisture from the water and retain it. Just like your skin gets dry in the winter from the low humidity and stays soft in the summer from the high humidity. At least that's the way I had it explained to me.

pfisdon
09-03-2000, 09:34 PM
I have found it is better to not buy too much string. It gets old and will weld.I prefer Shindaiwa brand. Has anyone tried Shindaiwa's Grass Attack String .105. It cuts everything in its path , except bamboo!

KirbysLawn
09-04-2000, 12:19 AM
After reading one of Eric's post about the Cross Fire line I bought some and tried it out, what a difference! I have not touched my Sthil line since....anyone want to buy some Sthil trimmer line??

Ray

yardsmith
09-04-2000, 01:08 AM
Best line I have found is at walmart :)! Shakespeare brand, (just like fishing line) it's triangular in shape, & runs true, unlike square line. Tough stuff too.
Kirby-dittos on stihl line; it sucks. I bought my FS-85 last yr. & they gave me a a spool of that stuff. I took it back in exchange for a hat!

KirbysLawn
09-04-2000, 01:16 AM
AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH..................

I could of had a hat!?!?!?!? *x#$@* :mad:

BUSHMASTER
09-04-2000, 02:01 AM
Trimmer string... i use .130 green line on a fixed head..wear not bad .i use two 14" peices per yard only even on yards with chain link fence.. but not on start up job it allways takes more string.the biggest thing about wear is to try cutting only with the tip of the line not the middle your string will also last longer it take some pratice but well worth it,as far as soaking the string it works real good.I keep a bucket from my wifes soap powder on the trailer filled with water with the string in it would never use dry line again.

eslawns
09-05-2000, 01:56 AM
I was using the Shindaiwa .105 round line, but the last time I got line it was Husqvarna .105 round. I will be a loyal Shindaiwa user from now on. I use the Wal-Mart Shakespeare stuff in heavy weeds. It's called "Terminator" It's not quite round, a profile of it looks like one of those hurricane symbols on the weather. It welds if you don't feed it often, but it's better than round stuff in heavy weeds. I only use it in the big Husky 232L.

chrisbolte
09-10-2000, 11:54 PM
STIHL line struggles I bought some at walmart> Even though i am embarassed to admit i bought lawn supplies at walmart it cost about 10% and works well

Cutter1
09-11-2000, 12:32 AM
You guys are swinging rope around. 105, 95??? That stuffs for beginners. I use 65. I can put out about a foot of it and weedeat better than anyone around. No, guards on with a universal bump. only one line coming out too. I use shindaiwa 270's, if anyone was wondering. five pound spools at wallmart for $12. I've used it all, this stuff is the best, doesn't splice or weld.

Keith
09-11-2000, 01:17 AM
Thanks, but my "beginner" self will stick with .095 or .105

greenshoes@netzero.net
09-11-2000, 01:31 AM
I am sure that getting supplies at wal-mart is not a crime but i would not admit it on-line. My favorite trimmer line is the echo cross fire .95 it does not weld and holds up well. I can use a full bump and go head in about three days (about 80 lawns) I dont soak my line at all but I hear it is worth the time.

Eric ELM
09-11-2000, 08:42 AM
The .105 isn't much bigger than .095, but the next time you get the Echo Cross Fire, try the .105. It will hold up much better. We have been using the Cross Fire for years and found it to be the best of all we have tried.