PDA

View Full Version : Driveway stone - What Size?

Doogiegh
03-21-2003, 10:34 PM
For a gravel driveway, what size stone is typically used? Right now the stone is a gray color, kinda like the background here on lawnsite, just a little darker.

I see there is 1/2", 3/4", 1", etc..

How does one measure the size of the existing stone? The driveway does seem pretty course stone in general. They are jagged edges, some smooth, others kinda rectangular shaped.. I think sometimes you might used them in a concrete type of mix, but using smaller size stone. (same kinda of general appearance though)..

Anyone know how much stone would be needed to cover a driveway, 300 feet long, and 1 car width wide to go say 1 inch deep? There is already stone, but it's disappearing.. is a 1 inch covering enough or is that a joke and you have to go to 2 or 3 inches deep for a real replenishment?

Thanks

little green guy
03-22-2003, 01:17 AM
usually 5/8 or 3/4" clean is used for driveways. 1 ton of stone covers about 100 sq ft at 2" deep. You'd prolly want to figue about 2" deep. So if the drive is about 8 ft wide x 300 ft long your talking 2400 sq ft so your looking at about 24 tons of stone whichis about one triaxle load. These are just rough calculations you have to figue out what the width of the drive is and stuff and figue it for yourself but hope it helps.

paponte
03-22-2003, 01:40 AM
usually 5/8 or 3/4" clean is used for driveways.

You got it! :cool:

Alan
03-23-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by little green guy
usually 5/8 or 3/4" clean is used for driveways. 1 ton of stone covers about 100 sq ft at 2" deep.

If waht you're talking about when you say "clean" stone is mterial that has been screened and runs all the same size how do you get it to stay put?

One characteristic of a graded aggregate is that commonality of size of the particles. Any aggregate that is of a common size will not take compaction.

There are quarry products that are intended for road base or surface use. They all use a mixture of sizes to obtain an end result that compacts and stays put under traffic loads.

Depending on your area, these might be sold as "Stay-mat", "Surepac", "Rock Fines" or "Plant Mix" Standard practice is to base with either 1 1/2" or 3/4" Plant Mix. The size number is the largest stone and the mix contains everything down to dust. The base can be covered with 3/4" Plant Mix or Rock Fines, Fines being 1/4" or so chips down to dust.

Fines will get mushy in the spring when the frost is coming out but they look better and are easier to regrade as potholes develop.

If you're going over an existing stone base you should fill and compact any potholes first and then place the new course of material. If you don't fill the holes first they will reflect through the new material and come back to haunt you.

NYRookie
03-23-2003, 07:44 PM
I always use (rubble). It is limestone and it has 3/4" size down to what looks like dust or filings. With all the different size stone it packs down nice. If you use all the same size stone, the driveway will never pack down. Another tip is if you our installing a new driveway or putting in a parking spot 1st put down construction fabric. I buy 500lb test 12' wide for $.60 a linear foot. It stops the stone from mixing with the soil underneath. Well worth the extra $.

NYRookie
03-23-2003, 07:55 PM
Sorry I forgot to answer the second ?. I would say that 1 yd is almost equal to 1 ton. When you get it at the quarry they charge buy the ton. I would say that 1 ton will cover 10'-10', 2"-3" deep. That is the method I use and I haven't been short yet. A little extra usually is not a bad idea. Just remember that if you are going to truck it, it is heavier than stone that is all the same size. All the small stuff fills in the spaces.

Hope this helps.