PDA

View Full Version : You wouldn't believe what the mailman said

michigangrass
03-22-2003, 02:00 AM
After reading threads on flyers and mailboxes I decided to stop a mailman to ask about restriction for my area.

You wouldn't believe what this guy said.

He was pulling flyers left in mailboxes and taking them back to his supervisor. His supervisor called him in to discuss it and stated that they had received so many calls from irrate business owners regarding the removal of flyers that the Supervisor told the mailman not to remove any more flyers from that point on.

He told me that I could actually leave the flyers anywhere on or in the box as long as it did not obstruct the opening and closing of the door.

Sounds like a gamble but it came directly from the horses mouth.

It's strange but it's a $1000 fine for this and business owner are actually calling the post office and admitting that their doing it.

John Allin
03-22-2003, 12:00 PM
Isn't that interesting....

Although, I wonder if that works everywhere. Would seem to me that this is something that is enforced in some areas, overlooked in other area, and just ignored in yet another market....

Don't know if I'd want to take the chance that I'm in the wrong market with that kind of fine attached....

walker-talker
03-22-2003, 08:21 PM
If the mailman that you spoke with don't mind you putting fliers in mailboxes just on his route, then I might do it. Hell, just slip him a fifty and have him do it...haha. Like John said, I bet this is just a rare situation. Personally myself, I would not do it. It's a federal law and could come back to bite you, should the homeowner want to press the issue.

MATT

Soupy
03-22-2003, 08:57 PM
My Mail Carrier told me that most Carriers won't say anything as long as you don't obstruct the opening of the mail box. They hate when the can't get the door open. She told me there was only two carriers you have to stay away from and incidentally one of them was my past Mail Carrier from my previous address. (now I know why no one advertised in my old neighborhood :) )

I still check with the Carriers in the neighborhoods i'm targeting just to be sure. Even then I try to stay away from the mailbox. I only use the mailbox on corner lots were they have the driveway on the side of the house. I'm afraid they won't notice my flier on the front door if they never use it.

Gr grass n Hi tides
03-22-2003, 09:30 PM
Fliers on US postal property is a **** shoot, which is exactly why I'm using door hangers.

Gr grass n Hi tides
03-22-2003, 09:31 PM
I did not realize a post could be edited for using the word that begins with "c" has "ra" in the middle & ends with "p". Didn't mean to offend!

michigangrass
03-22-2003, 09:48 PM
You have to keep in mind that for no reason do you want to provoke USPS.

But even more important you don't want to anger a homeowner.

Getting caught with your hand in the cookie jar never ends on a positive note.

I know if I looked out and saw someone other than the mailman in my mailbox id be pissed.

Albemarle Lawn
03-23-2003, 12:13 AM
Magnetic business cards left on the front of metal mailboxes, which hopefully find their way to the refrigerator door.

Only probs:

1) Cost

2) Plastic mailboxes.

KB

LawnPro in NC
03-23-2003, 12:25 AM
Funny you should bring up the mailbox. I was previously a deputy sheriff and I arrested some guys 20-25 yoa for vandalising over 200 mailboxes. Had written statements the works. Contacted the postal inspector and they wanted nothing to do with it. An open and shut case. All they had to do was charge them and let me do the testifying. Most mail boxes that were vandalised had to be replaced including the pole. they were throwing rip rap sized rocks from a truck running 55 mph.

but putting fliers on a mailbox may be a different stroy, but at least the mailman has somewhere to put themail.

Mike Bradbury
03-23-2003, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by Gr grass n Hi tides
I did not realize a post could be edited for using the word that begins with "c" has "ra" in the middle & ends with "p". Didn't mean to offend!

I posted on a football website tonight and got bleeped for "pASS"!:rolleyes:

Gr grass n Hi tides
03-23-2003, 06:47 AM
Ouch. Here's a quote from another thread titled "competition trying to move in on other LCO jobs":

"mr. pallas

Thanks i think you jinxed me. Just so happenes i got a letter in the mail from the postmaster today. it said and i quote:
Recently, a letter carrier of the sterling heights post office found letters withoutpostage distributed in or attached to mailboxes.

In accordance with these violations you are requested to pay $370.00 postage due for 100 pieces found in or attached to the mailboxes on march 19 2003. this amonut includes payments past due for previous notices. they gave me 10 days to pay.
so ill have to find another way or just stay away from sterling heights."

michigangrass
03-23-2003, 05:27 PM
Its a **** shoot for those wanting to take the chance.

Safe to say...that guy crapped out.

Imagine if this guy would have dropped 500 flyers in Sterling Hieghts that day.

Meier
03-23-2003, 10:37 PM
I have been going to Kinko's and I've got an 8-1/2 X 11" sheet of paper with my advertising written on it 24 times per page. I photo copy the page and use the Kinko's paper cutter to cut each page into 24 business card sized pieces of paper, each one saying my business name, credentials and my phone number.

Then I go to Lowe's and buy a 10' strip of magnetic tape. It's got adhesive on one side and magnet on the other. I cut the 10' tape into 1/2" sections. Peel each adhesive off and adhere it to my advertisement.

Then, I walk down the street and stick each one to the front of the home owners mail box. Plastic and all alluminum boxes are the only problem.

Anyway, I haven't been called by the post master yet. I've been told this is perfectly legal. One homeowner did call me and started threatening to call the post master. I finally hung up on the guy. What a butt head. Anyway, that was about a week ago, I've passed out 1,700 advertisements this way, and no calls from the post master.

I figure if I am violating some law, the post master will call me and tell me to stop and that will be the end of it.

Later,
DFW, TX

michigangrass
03-23-2003, 11:10 PM
1700? How many customer call backs besides the "butt head"? How many did you sign?

Meier
03-23-2003, 11:52 PM
I keep a spread sheet of the results:

Two complaints and seven estimates. Four of the seven estimates closed into weekly mowing contracts with weed control & fertilization. Two closed on weed control/fert only.

Guess I was too high on the eighth one.

I've been told that you should close about 50% of the estimates...but I'm happy with the prices I'm getting on all of them

Later,
DFW, TX

Doogiegh
03-24-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Gr grass n Hi tides
In accordance with these violations you are requested to pay $370.00 postage due for 100 pieces found in or attached to the mailboxes on march 19 2003. this amonut includes payments past due for previous notices. they gave me 10 days to pay.
so ill have to find another way or just stay away from sterling heights."

Balony.

100 pieces of mail @ $.37 a piece would be $37.00 in postage, not $370.00. So I doubt the letter anyone got requesting to pay was even there.. Sounds like a lawnsite made up story.

Gary

adrianvbarrera
03-25-2003, 01:14 PM
Meier,

What area of DFW are you targeting?

ADrian