PDA

View Full Version : Newbie advice on used walk-behinds

twzip
03-22-2003, 09:20 AM
I'm tired of my lawn tractor and am looking for a used walk-behind for my approx. 1 acre lawn. I'm looking belt-drive only, based on budget. After scanning newspaper classifieds, it seems that most W/B resales are landscapers selling mowers that are 5-6 years old, with estimates of 4000 to 6000 hrs. All claim they are well-maintained. I have some basic questions I'm hoping to get advice on -

1. What is the lifetime of these mowers - can I buy a mower with 4 or 5 thousand hours on it and expect 20 years use at 50 hours a year? If so, why are landscapers turning them over after 5 years?

2. Is pressurized lubrication a necessity - I do have some steeper grades in my yard but not all mowers seem to have oil filters.

3. Most are gear-driven but one W/B I called on is variable speed - does this work ok or have any unique problems? Should I stick to gear drives?

4. Not all W/Bs seem to have a reverse gear - is this a necessity, I will be moving this in/out of a 10x14 shed.

5. Finally, any particular brands that would be easier to operate or maintain by a homeowner versus commercial operator?

Thanks for the help:cool: