PDA

View Full Version : Sthil chainsaw Which one?

columbiaplower
09-02-2000, 05:39 PM
i had a farm boss and it fell out of a tree hit a large river rock and all the chunks of it fell into the fast moving river. So i need a new one. i use it for some trimming but mostly for storm cleanup and clearing brush. what do u all use? what is a all around good one for a landscaper?
thanks nick

BUSHMASTER
09-02-2000, 06:15 PM
I use a 021 with a 16" bar not much on cuting down trees in a hurry but it'll handel samll jobs, but in your case a fram boss to a 021 is like going from a mustang to an pinto

Toddppm
09-02-2000, 07:11 PM
Go with at least an 036, small enough to use in the tree if needed(very carefully)on the ground it's awesome, plenty of power to pull up to a 24" chain if you want , i use mine with an 18" bar, works good.Anything under that is a toy except for the 020t which is not a ground saw.

eskals
09-02-2000, 07:23 PM
I just bought a 018C (I think thats the number). I see that your heading in the right direction--your buying a stihl.

As far as which one to get, I can't be of much help. We don't use a chainsaw much at all, mostly for trimming and cutting suckers off trees. Thats why I wanted a small saw.

The 036 looks like a good saw if you use a chainsaw much...

Eric

bob
09-02-2000, 08:02 PM
I have a 026 and an 039. Both great machines. Something like an 029 would also be an exellent choice. Check ebay, there's lots of Stihl goodies for sale there!

lakegastonla
09-02-2000, 09:03 PM
I have an 029. That is the same saw that they call the farm boss. Nice saw, with a hoss of an engine. Would not buy much bigger than that unless you are gonna be a logger.

steve
09-02-2000, 09:13 PM
Don't buy a Stihl, buy a Dolmar much better built saw!

WALKERMOW
09-02-2000, 09:35 PM
036 pro stihl is the best saw for the money ..lots of power with an 18 in bar

thelawnguy
09-02-2000, 10:02 PM
Whichever you buy, go to Baileys or Leonards and pick up a breakaway lanyard for it. Coiled like a phone cord. It will attach to your belt and the saw and keep it from falling away if you drop it but if it snags a falling branch it will pull away so you dont get dragged out of the tree-I believe 200 lbs breakaway force, which is good for a 15 lb saw dropping 5 feet.

geogunn
09-02-2000, 10:46 PM
for trimming I use an 009. it's a pup. for the big stuff I use an 029. it's a really nice saw.

GEO

cos
09-03-2000, 12:22 PM
For climbing I use the 019t.

For ground use i use the 61 husky (real good saw) with a 24" bar. I also have a homelite for ground use and it really runs like a bear. I believe my next saw might be a husky beacause i had so many problems with the stihl. Though, I do hear alot of people rave about the stihl farm boss.

The break away saw lanyard is a real good idea and i think that will be the next investment I make, because yes I have dropped a couple saws now and then. It only hurts for a little while when they break.

Best Wishes.

bondlawn
09-03-2000, 02:04 PM
For many years I owned a Poulan 3400 with a bow blade. I grew up using a bow blade saw (started when I was 9) and never wanted to own anything other than bow blade. Well, one day my Poulan caught on fire due to a leak in a fuel line and before I could get the extinguisher out, it was history.

When I went buy a replacement I found out it was almost impossible to get a bow blade. My dealer and another customer, who does tree service for a living, convinced me the best saw pound for pound was a Stihl 46. I was supprised that they didn't steer me in the direction of Husky. It is lighter than my old bow blade Poulan, but man does it have power. It amazes me how strong that saw runs.

I think if I spent my whole day just trimming, it would be too heavy, but I use it for small trimming jobs for my customers and for feeding my wood burning stove. For me it is a great saw. I still haven't gotten used to having to bend over to cut logs on the ground (with a bow blade you don't have to bend over), or maybe I'm just getting too old to bend over that much (ha ha).

northeast
09-03-2000, 06:28 PM
Try the echo cs-5000 ,real nice saw.