PDA

View Full Version : quickbooks

Leone LawnCare
03-22-2003, 02:13 PM
could i use quickbooks to keep track of my business and billing and expenses and what i have earned. What could i get at a store like officemax for this?

Rob T
03-22-2003, 02:24 PM
Absolutely

navyman
03-22-2003, 02:39 PM
Quickbooks Pro your best choice that I know of, it's widely used and most office personell can operate it easily, it is adaptable to nearly every business, sounds like I work for them but I don't.

Leone LawnCare
03-22-2003, 02:45 PM
how much does it cost?

HBFOXJr
03-22-2003, 04:18 PM
Check price at Staples or Office Max on line.

rodfather
03-22-2003, 05:37 PM
We've been using QuickBooks for about 5 or 6 years now...currently using Pro 2002. We wouldn't be able to run our business without it I can tell you that. It's amazing what it can do.

Hometown
03-22-2003, 10:59 PM
We use Quickbooks Pro things would be a struggle at best without it. Also when tax time comes we just take the back-up disk to accountant to run the buisness return off of really makes it simple for them if everything is set up right there are usually no questions about this or that and is all there for them and pretty straight forward.

RELIABLELAWNMAN
03-23-2003, 02:28 PM
Also check out Costco and Sams Club for these programs. If you are member and have these warehouses in your location you can
save even more than the office supply stores.

Agricare1
03-24-2003, 11:57 PM
We use Quickbooks Pro 2002. I couldn't run without it. But be Careful, you must use all features of it or your balances will be way off. for example if you use it to bill and receive payments but not for banking than you will show all kinds of money in a Quickbooks default account called undeposited funds. so if you try to run a balance sheet it will show that you have x amount of money in some un-known account which a bank or the IRS is going to ask you to prove where this money went and it's a hassle. Also if you are in a state where you collect sales tax on the services you perform, you must use the pay sales tax function and not just write a check out from the check reg. I had an Office manager do that for over a year and i am still paying for that mistake with St. Revenue Dept. Bottom line is use every feature and it runs your business smooth. That has been my experience with it.

Big AL

Mike Bradbury
03-25-2003, 12:13 AM
I too use Quickbooks, but only because I know it from 6 years using it at our franchise.
It is pretty intimidating to a newbie with no accounting experience at all.
Quicken now offers a business version with customizable invoicing and pretty much everything a simple biz needs. Much easier for a newbie to use, and cheaper too. FWIW

Hamons
03-25-2003, 09:50 AM
I found a good reference for using Quickbooks for a landscaping company.

http://economics.ag.utk.edu/pubs/business/Landscaping%20Workbook%20-%20QuickBooks%202001.pdf

a 160 page manual of how to set it up and do basic tasks. Hope you have braodband when yo download it though -- it is a big .pdf file.

It was helpful for me!

Buddy Markley
03-26-2003, 12:28 PM
Quickbooks Pro would be great choice, cost is about $290.00 at Office max or Office Depot.

If you are trying to save money set up your own system with a $20.00 money program and a spreadsheet program.

Sounds like your a small business without employees ( sorry if I am wrong) but email me if you have any questions.

Buddy

Mike Bradbury
03-26-2003, 03:43 PM
IF you don't have employees and a need for payroll USE QUICKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

leadarrows
03-26-2003, 06:08 PM
I started out with Microsoft Money 1999. Upgraded to Microsoft Business 2001. I liked it. My accountant didn't. He had me try Quick Books Pro 2001. I like it more and more as I get use to it. It is hard to take full advantage of all Quick Books can do for you at first. I expect by the end of this season I will have a handle on it. My accountant is QB certified that helps and I love that link provided by Hamons (Thank you by the way). Two things I thought of : First I would recommend picking your software with the long term in mind. An example of what I am thinking about happened to day. I needed to see if an alternator I had bought for the dump truck was under warranty. The file was in Microsoft Moneys format. My computer has enough power to have both Microsoft Money and Quick Books loaded at the same time so it is not a problem for me to open old files. Do you see where I am going with this? Once you make your choice should you change your mind later say you out grow the first choice you may regret it. I do. Second I don't know if Quicken will work with programs like Clip or QXpress or not but I have tried the demos of both and will be getting one sometime soon. They are both very impressive programs you might want to check them out before making you decision.

michigangrass
03-28-2003, 12:06 AM
We just bought QB Pro a couple of days ago. I have a couple of questions for those of you already using the program and know it pretty well.

1. During set up would it be better to select service company or contractor if you're both lawn and landscape?

2. Pointers on setup? Do's and don'ts?

I want to make sure I set this thing up the right way from the beginning.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Buddy Markley
03-28-2003, 08:14 AM
I set my up as a service company. Most of the setup can be changed after it completed.

Just make sure you make time to completely get all of your fields setup correctly after your install. Take a few days to read the manual

Good luck

Buddy

Premo Services
03-28-2003, 05:06 PM
[Hamons] I found a good reference for using Quickbooks for a landscaping company

http://economics.ag.utk.edu/pubs/bu...ooks%202001.pdf

a 160 page manual of how to set it up and do basic tasks. Hope you have braodband when yo download it though -- it is a big .pdf file.

It was helpful for me!.

:D :D This is one MAJOR reason I love this site!!!!!!:D :D

Hamons:: Thanks for the link.

Agricare1
03-28-2003, 09:17 PM
michigangrass

If your company does more service type things like mowing and cleanups. than you should set it up as a service type business, However if you do a lot of contractor type of installs, and you need to itemize what you are installing then you may want to set it up as a contractor. I have two businesses,one is mainly service and the other is a contractors supply store, we also sell to the public, and the only difference that i see in the setups is QB's lets me have a pretty good inventory system and the invoices are set to default to a retail looking one. Either one you choose play around with the sample company thats included in it until you get used to it, or you could cause your accountants hair to to turn Grey.