PDA

View Full Version : Harley or other power rakes questions.

Mike Bradbury
03-22-2003, 05:37 PM
1) When renovating existing turf areas. Do they incorporate the turf into the new seed bed or do you still have to strip it first?

2) Can you do a limited spot within an existing lawn and have clean edges all around, or is there a starting or ending edge that won't be neat?

3) First year full time. Been working on the side for years. Specializing in turf installs and reno's (now, not in the past) . I have a NH 33D w/ Woods grader box, renovator,aerator. I'm in it "for the long haul".
Sell the box and renovator and buy a power rake? Or use what I've got for now and buy one once I've got money in the bank?

4) HEAVY clay soil here in N.Indiana, no rocks to speak of. Factor in deciding?

:confused:

solly4
03-23-2003, 01:18 AM
i have used a power rake on a bobcat for 4 years now..have worked in clay like conditions (michigan) many of times....if i understand the question----if the exsisting property has a lot of vegitation---i have never been able to strip the land clean..have always had to use the bucket first to scrape and then the power rake to clean up...pain in the a##. but if the ground is soft...had much better success.

Mike Bradbury
03-23-2003, 02:06 AM
[understand the question----if the exsisting property has a lot of vegitation---. [/B][/QUOTE]

Just talking about turf, dead or living, not tall weeds or anything else.

Mike Bradbury
03-23-2003, 09:10 PM
have an opinion?

SWD
03-24-2003, 08:29 AM
I have a T-5 Harley Power Box Rake on a MF1233 and it works extremely well. On areas with vegetation, I first scalp, then use my T-5. I have found if the existing vegetation is scalped, it is easier on me and the machine to completely remove the existing turf and prepare the soil for what ever I am doing.
With a bit of practice, tie in's to existing desirable turf can be done with little or no handraking, just the power box rake.
I work in the worst soil/rock conditions I have ever seen outside of the Philippine Islands, and have no trouble removing vegetation ffrom the site - it is the damn rock!!!
A quick note - for spot repairs/tie in's a bit of loose soil added to the area you have worked, then passed over with the pbr set in the floating position will virtually garantee no low spots.